HELP, IT HURTS TO SIT, I HAVE KNOTS OF MUSCLES AROUND TAILBONE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Nancysb, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Nancysb

Nancysb New Member

HAS ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS FIBRO AND CF EXPERIENCED KNOTS OF MUSCLES AROUND THEIR TAILBONE? AND IT ALSO FEELS LIKE ROPES OF MUSCLES GOING DOWN BOTH HIPS INTO MY THIGHS. I HAVE HAD THIS ON AND OFF FOR SEVERAL YEARS, BUT HAVE BEEN USING MY ARMS AND SHOULDERS A LOT MORE LATELY AND IT SEEMS TO HAVE MADE THESE KNOTS OF MUSCLES WORSE.
    AT MY DR.'S RECOMMENDATION, I HAVE BEEN ON THE CELIAC DIET FOR 9 MONTHS NOW. I HAVE LOST 53 LBS. AND MY FIBRO AND CF ARE BETTER EXCEPT FOR THESE KNOTS OF MUSCLES, WHICH ARE WORSE.
    I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS EXPERIENCED THIS, AND ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE TO HELP. IN READING ABOUT FIBRO, I DON'T THINK I HAVE EVER READ ABOUT THIS BEFORE.
    MY DR. WANTS ME TO TRY TAKING GUAIFENESIN ALONG WITH THE LOW SALICYLATE DIET.
  2. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Nancysb:

Not sure, but ice always seemed to make my lower back feel better. Typically, if you have muscle spasms, your body is trying to protect that area from any further damage. You have to ice to get rid of the inflammation/ irritation. If it does not go away with ice, you might want to have a doctor look at it. You could have disks problems.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  3. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

Have you been to a physical therapist? After 4 months of colitis during which I lost 30 pounds to diarrhea, my entire pelvis was a big knot. My therapist is working them out. Some are trigger points and refer pain elsewhere, but some are just knots.

I like heat and cold, alternated, or hot baths. Have you tried any muscle relaxers? My xanax helps as much as anything.
  4. Nancysb

Nancysb New Member

I haven't tried the baths, I haven't been able to get into or out of a bathtub in so long, I'm afraid I'd get stuck in there!! Ha, Ha

That area is to tender, I'm afraid to try a physical therapist - in the past, all they have done is make things worse, not better.

I do see a chiropractor 3 times a week, and for a while, he could adjust my neck, or between my shoulders and my pelvis would get better, but this time we just can't seem to get it to go away.

I have gotten some better in other areas, though, and am trying to do more. I think I believe I am just pushing it too hard (trying to make up for lost time, you know) and my problems just seem to settle in that area.

Thanks for the recommendations, though. Oh, and I also use ice and hot showers.
    Nancy
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

I've heard of something regarding the pyriform muscles; ask your chiro or regular dr.

If you look up Devin Starlanyl, she may have some advice regarding this.

I hope you find some answers to a very painful and vexing question.

findmind
  6. Mom3

Mom3 New Member

I have been experiencing this now on and off as well. My tail bone (maybe coccyx area) and hip buttock and thighs as well. I feel knots and pulling on my left buttock and tailbone. It's so hard to describe this. It's hard to even massage that area. I have been using heat right now but sometimes I use ice. I thought I was going insane. I did have xrays done don't know if they can see anything wrong. I will keep you posted, good for you losing all that weight, I definately need to lose some weight especially with all this holiday eating.
    I go to gym and I might even aggravate that area but I do need to do some form of excercise.

Please let us know if you have any good advice to this as I am not sure myself. I will let you know what the results of my xrays are.

Mom3
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

I also have huge rope like knots in the same area. The only way I get relief is from massage therapy. Usually I am having sciatica pain. When it is inflamed it can create those yucky knots and a pulling feeling in your lower back/hip area. Just a suggestion. Hot epsom salt baths and a moist heating pad help also.

Kriket
  8. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I to have CMP and my thighs feel like some one has slugged me right in the middle of the leg adn there is even a huge knot there . It is so painful and when I try to massage it that only makes it hurts worse.

I know that I have broken my tail bone at least once. It give me alot of pain when I sit to long. Try some heat and see it if helps to ease this pain and make the knots ease up as well. And to go to Devin'ssite and maybe she can help with some answers for you.

HUGS,
    Rosemarie
  9. Nancysb

Nancysb New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the info. I don't know who Devin Starlanyl is, and can you tell me how to get in touch with her.

Also, I have never heard of the thing with pyriform muscles, so I will be sure to ask my Chiroprictor about it.

Thanks a bunch! Nancy
  10. Nancysb

Nancysb New Member

Hi Mom 3!

Well, you don't know how much better it makes me feel just to hear of someone else who has this problem.

I sure would be interested in your X-ray results also. This has always been kind of a touchy area for me because I cracked my coccix bone when I was in my twenties and had to sit on a pillow with a hole in it for 6 months.

Congrats on being able to go to the gym and work out. That is one of my goals. I know that when I can start doing a little stretching and walking, I'll have to feel much better.

And, don't get me wrong, I certainly don't mean to complain, God has certainly blessed me in so very many ways and has let me in the direction of Dr. Harry Delcher, endocrynologist in Atlanta, Ga. He has fibromyalgia also and is the one who really made me believe that the celiac diet would help me and it certainly has.

I just still have this muscle problem around my tailbone and hips - which is just so doggone aggrivating. I finally feel like I might be able to go on a weekend trip with my hubby, and now I can't sit long enough for the ride.

I'm not giving up, though, and it really helps to know someone else is experiencing this.

Thanks again, Nancy

11. Nancysb

Nancysb New Member

Hi Kriket,

Thanks for the reply, I will certainly try the hot epsom salts bath and the moist heating pad.

Did you know why epsom salts help so much. My Dr. told me the other day. It is because they are full of magnesium, and that is what we really need for the tired, hurting muscles of ours.

Thanks again, Nancy
  12. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

Give it a try..never lets me down on specific pain. Not very good for the over all aches of FM.

Jana
  13. Aghllw

Aghllw New Member

That is a really good description of it too. Ropes in the muscles is exactly what it feels like running across both of my hips. I use massage, LOTS OF BIOFREEZE, stretching (when I can bare it), trigger point injections and deep hip injections. It is almost like bursitis in the hips.

Good luck!

Lisa
  14. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i have cmp you can buy the trigger theapy workbook off line for 20 it shows you how to release them good luck charlene
  15. Nancysb

Nancysb New Member

Thanks for answering Charlene.

Where did you say I could get the workbook?
    Thanks, Nancy
  16. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davis is about $14 at Amazon.

I'm a little surprised by how many of us have this exact problem.
  17. dolphin67

dolphin67 New Member

I have been dealing with this problem as well. Mostly on my left side as well. A friend of mine recently gave me a lotion with magnesium in it that is awesome. Also, my massage therapist used peppermint essential oil and it really helped as well. and biofreeze. I seem to have MANY trigger points in this area and just keep trying to work them out with massage and stretch them out yoga.
  18. Nancysb

Nancysb New Member

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Can you tell me the name of the lotion with the magnesium in it?

That would be great! Also, I have some biofreeze that I haven't used in a while. I'll try it!!!

Smiles, Nancy
  19. dolphin67

dolphin67 New Member

its called le bon soin relax gel for legs. She found it at tj max. by lothantique.
  20. findmind

findmind New Member

Devin Starlanyl, M.D. is one of the leading authors of FM books. She suffers from it and has beautifully illustrated and simply explained books about FM; the one I know best is "FM and Myofascial Pain Syndrome" co-written with another author.

hayleycole, here on the board, has tons of great info posted already; do a search under her screen name and you'll learn a lot!

Best to you,
    findmind