Help, Just read Shazzy Post, I am scared

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lassiecass, Mar 5, 2003.

1. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I just read Shazzy post about depression med. My daughter just started taking Lexapro today. She is really depressed with many stresses happening at once. She has also mentioned anxiety and panic attacks. Lexapro at 10 mg once a day. Will this make her symtoms worse. The Dr. wanted to put her on Prozac but I had heard so many negetives about it I asked her to have him prescribe something different. I need some guidedance, how long before she feels better? She is sleeping 24/7. I wondered why he didn't check her thyroid etc. I just don't know what to look for with the side effects, I logged on for info but the informationis overwhelming. Just thought someone might offer me some insight. She is 31 and unmarried and just moved back home after a relationship went bad.
    Thanks for listening
    Soft Hugs to all,
    Sandy (Cass)
  2. Echos

Echos New Member

Hi Cass, Echos here. Lexapro so far seems to be quite safe and should start working 7-14 days after starting the medication. Some side effects would be nausea, sleepwalking, insomnia and some that only address men. My daughter has been taking it for quite some time now and she is so much better than before the medication. I know that I myself take Wellbutrin SR. For me that increases my anxiety and irritability. I have been on it for months now with no relief from the anxiety. If you see any changes in your daughter as in, anxiety, irritability, continued depression, I would then consider a change in medication. Hope all looks up for your daughter, as mine is going through the same thing right now.
    SWAK's,
    Echos
  3. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Echos,
    Thank you so much for responding. I am sorry to hear you are going this too. I will watch for the signs as you suggested. I really hope she finds some relief. Take care of yourself too, we tend to forget that sometimes.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

You should ask her doctor if her thyroid has been checked. I bombed big time in the early 90's, thought I was gonna die and it turned out my thyroid wasn't working very well. All it takes is a correct dosage of Synthroid for a couple of months to level out an underactive thyroid, but then you have to continue to take it forever usually. Anti-depressants are a for clinical depression only and then they're supposed to be prescribed as a last ditch effort, but nowadays doctors hand them out like candy. Most depression is self-inflicted and doesn't need drugs. It's the person thinking negative thoughts and not helping themselves to improve things. They just lay around and mope and get worse. They can bring themselves out of the depression if they really want to, but quite often don't realize that they are their own worst enemy. One last thought, anti-depressants permanently change the chemical balances in our brain. They're not to be taken lightly or on a whim.

Good luck!
    Marilyn :)
  5. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Sandy~~I have FM/CFS, 3 kinds of arthritis, IBS, asthma/allergies, degenerative disc disease with multiple back problems (ddd), and nerve damage due to the ddd.

My physician thought Celexa would help the nerve damage in my back so he gave me several sample boxes of 20mg Celexa. I took one pill that night and slept without waking for two days straight. I didn't hear the alarm, missed work, didn't wake to go to the bathroom, didn't feed my animals, and when I did finally wake up--I was so hung over I couldn't function, walked like I was drunk, and slept off and on all through the 3rd day. I never took it again. However, many people I know use it and find it effective after they get through the first 10 days of side affects.

As a therapist, I much prefer using prozac,zoloff, or paxil (known as SSRI's)because there are faster acting with fewer side effects, and my clients report good results. However, as with any medication, you will read or hear pros & cons about all medications--plus the fact that medications affect people differently.

Yet, there are some basic similarities amongst them all. If your daughter does not begin to see some improvement within 2 to 3 weeks--this is not the anti-depressant for her. Also, the constant sleepiness ought to wear off within 7 days. If she continues to sleep alot, doesn't eat, loses weight, isolates, or cries alot, has rapid mood changes, loses interest in doing things--she needs to see her physician again for a med re-evaluation and a referral to a good therapist to see what is "causing" the depression, work through it, and thus resolve it and the underlying depression. A good anti-depressant will put a bandaide on the symptoms of depression, but will not cure it.

You said she had many stressors going on and had just moved home after a relationship went bad. It sounds like she is experiencing alot of emotional and psychological trauma and needs more help than a pill once a day.

If her condition does not improve in the next 2 weeks--take her back to her physician, get her anti-depressant changed, and ask him for a referral to a good therapist. A pill, no matter how good, will not resolve the issues causing the depression.

And take care of yourself. Don't make the mistake of falling into a codependent sickness with her or you won't be objective enough to help her. Love your daughter, take care of your daughter, support your daughter...but don't get sick with her. She needs normalcy, the support of a loving family, a good anti-depressant, a good therapist, and time to heal and work things out.

Best wishes to you and your daughter. Carol...

6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Gee, I just read what everyone said here, and I do believe that Marilyn has the right idea!

I went through some tough times a long time ago because of a relationship gone bad, and I was a 'basket' case! It lasted for months, but I had a very wise doctor. He knew that there was not a pill that was going to bring me back to normal, only I could do that.

I finally did, but it was not easy. I had a great friend that would not 'allow' me to sleep away my 'brokenheart'! She really 'talked' me back to life.

Also, as Marilyn is very familiar with the thyroid problem, you might want to get a second opinion and see if that is the problem instead of just going on antidepressents.

I had a problem with my daughter at about the same age as yours is now. She lost her husband in a car crash. She was out of her mind (so to speak), then she upped and married a real 'nut', then we were back at the 'out of her mind' thing again. She left that one, and she was on her way back to normal.

We made it through it all without medications. Lots of letting her 'talk' her way out of it all. She went from one tradegy to the other. She is fine now, and I do thank God for her not having any lasting after effects.

Do take Marilyn's advice, and have her thyroid checked, if thats not it, then try to get her to tell you what she is 'thinking', I was amazed at what my daughter had on her mind.

Take care, and you are a great Mom too!

Shalom, Shirl
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Advice is great, but when someone comes along with true-life stories like you just did, then it really becomes clear. You said it best just by describing your daughters trials and tribulations! I just wish more people would realize that most depression can be shaken with the proper thinking and life changes. (clinical depression does not apply to the above)

Marilyn :)
  8. mrskbarnett

mrskbarnett New Member

I think you should give it some time, maybe 3-4 weeks. I've been on it for 8 months and it does help. It's just kinda slow at first. I've tried Wellbuterin, Buspar, Prozac and Paxil and they didn't do anything for me. I hope this helps some.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Don't be afraid of taking Prozac. I was afraid to begin taking it but was told by my brother (who is a clinical psychologist) that it is perfectly safe. Sometimes you hear these horror stories of what people do who are on it, but according to my bro, those people were really too far gone when they started on it and they had tons more problems than Prozac could have helped).

I started on Zoloft, then went to Prozac because of insurance purposes. Then when I started going to a Rheumy, he switched me to Celexa -- I think he had to change a medicine just to show me that he was doing something! Well, then when I mentioned this to my regular doc, he wanted me to switch back to Prozac because he said it was easier on my kidneys! (I am a diabetic, so I have to watch out for my kidney health, too.)

In addition to the medication, if she is just seeing a regular doc, she might want to talk out her stresses with a therapist or her minister ... or someone.

Good luck to you both.
  10. Dayle

Dayle New Member

can really hurt those of us who have been diagnosed w/ clinical depression & others who need to be diagnosed. This can be a LIFE AND DEATH situation, where the person has been overwhemed by a chemical imbalance. I was so afraid of DRUGS that I almost let the situation drag on too long. No other person knows what the mentally ill live thru but those who suffer. Perhaps if all of us could sit in on 1 or 2 group sessions we would be a little more understanding. There are lots of therapy groups out there but therapy will do no good until the patient is well enough to participate. I thank God for the new types of MEDICATIONS available today. And encourage ALL who are suffering to seek professional help. Love, D
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Like we always say, what works for one may not work for another. The same is true of depression. Clinical depression is horrible, an emotional pain so unbearable that death seems preferable to living with it another day.

Situational depression is different. Therapy may be all that is needed to help with the depression and get the patient back into life. Sometimes, a combination of antidepressants and therapy are needed if the patients is in too much pain to participate in her own healing.

Like all other meds, though, there are always risks and potential adverse side effects. NO DRUG IS PERFECTLY SAFE! Each of us must decide for ourselves whether the potential benefits outweigh the ptoential risks.

One thing is sure, though, whatever treatment is used, having a caring family member or friend to talk to is one of the best things toward healing.

Love, Mikie
  12. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi All,
    Thank you so much for the input. I realize she may need some other help. She has a therapist that she saw a few years back. I wasn't quite sure where to start to support her at this time so I took her to our family doctor. He felt knowing her history that she should give this a try. She is out of bed today and talking about how she feels. I have always worked through my bad times without the aid of drugs but she seems so fragile right now that maybe she needs the extra help. I also bought her a journal and Dr. Phils book on life lessons. I know he can be abrupt sometimes but I am a big reader and skimmed this book and felt she might benefit from it. I just wanted to thank you all for your help, thank God for this website and all you great people here. Have a great evening and hope it is pain free.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  13. jjoys

jjoys New Member

I'm taking the same dosage and I've had no problems with it. I've been on like 6 different antidepressants, including Prozac. Prozac worked great for my dad who had depression and panic disorder all his life. How can they blame suicide on an antidepressant when suicidal ideation is a symptom of depression? It's like, duh, the person already wanted to kill him/herself. That's why they're on the antidepressant.

Usually it takes 2 to 4 weeks for an antidepressant to start making one feel better, but the full therapeutic effect isn't realized for about 8 weeks sometimes.