HELP!!! Losing my insurance & can't afford doc or scripts!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EgyptStarr, Jan 1, 2006.

1. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I have been on Medicaid (state-assisted med. coverage) for the past few years, but as of Feb. 1, I am no longer eligible. I can't afford dr. visits or prescriptions without it! So I will be dealing with my FM and CFS totally on my own.

I need ALL the help I can get concerning inexpensive ($7 or less) supplements and over-the-counter things, PLEASE!!!

I just read Nanjee's post on Magnesium and will DEFINITELY be trying that! THANK YOU, NANCY!!!

I do all my shopping at Wal-Mart and Walgreens, and one brand name of vitamins and supplements that I'm familiar with is Spring Valley because they are the least expensive. BUT...... I now know that inexpensive can often equal ineffective, so what brand names do you all like?
    As I mentioned, they have to be VERY low-cost!

I am a stay-at-home mom and my fiance' supports us totally. His paycheck just BARELY keeps us afloat concerning bills, groceries, and other necessities, so squeezing in supplements and other stuff for me will NOT be easy!

HELP???!!!

Hugs!
    Starr
  2. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Thank you, Stormy, Sue, and Nancy!

The only problem I see with the prescription med. assistance is: It will work great for as long as I can get refills ordered without my dr. having to see me, but if he thinks I need to come in to the office in order to O.K. the refills, then I'm screwed.

I can't afford the $60 office visits!

I'll admit that the assistance would be nice, DEPENDING on HOW reduced I could get the scripts.

But there aren't many doctors who will O.K. refill after refill of Provigil (a powerful stimulant, which I'm on), Baclofen (muscle relaxer I'm on), Wellbutrin (antidepressant I'm on), various prescription painkillers I keep being tested on, etc. WITHOUT wanting me to come back in occassionally and PAY for an office visit.

I'm going to have to discuss all of this with my doc next time I'm scheduled to see him, in a couple of weeks. And find out how far he's willing to go to help me on this.

Thanks for the info and suggestions!

Hugs!
    Starr
  3. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

bump back to page 1
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

See if there is a free clinic-lots of areas have them these days for uninsured people only(not Medicaid or Medicare)-they would write scrips. Patient Assisance Programs are available through all of the Big Drug companies. They have been helping a friend of mine for years, have always been polite and really nice and set higher income levels than Medicaid do. Just type in the name of the drug manufacturer and go to PAP site. If you have a good relationship with your current provider, they may be willing to see you for brief visits only to write scrips and give you a price break, some will some won't. Good Luck-oh and most States have programs that kick in for uninsured people too, where you can get some costs picked up or considerably lessened-depends where you live.
    Cromwell
  5. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

4 Corners Pharmacy has some of your medicines. There is no shipping charge. No prescription is required. They don't sell controlled drugs.

Baclofen 10mg 100 Tablets US $30.00
    Bupron (generic Wellbutrin) 150mg - 30 Tablets US $40.00

Even if you have to make one month's supply stretch to 2 months, that is better than quitting cold. You might could halve the meds instead of taking the whole capsule or pill.
    Or, you could take it every other day.
  6. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Cromwell and dunnlb!!!!!!!!

THAT was some helpful info!!!

And thanks again to EVERYONE who responded! Y'all are the BEST!!!

Hugs!
    Starr