Help losing weight but trying to gain for lap band

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

This is scaring me. I'm overweight and trying to gain weight cause I can't get the lap band (surgery) cause I don't weigh enough.

So I have lost as of today 11 pounds. I don't own a scale but had to follow up with my surgeon today and I had lost two more pounds in 3 weeks.

I eat pizza like 3 times a week and a lot. My reg doc wasn't concerened a few weeks ago but I told him I should be gaining and I am home AT LEAST 23 hours a day.

Well the obgyn told me to go back to my dr and tell him I lost even more weight.
    Very very weird. I am under EXTREME Stress though like you wouldn't believe. Like the 18 cm mass on my ovary I had months ago is nothing compared to what i'm going through. But I eat more when stressed!!

ANy ideas?
    Rene
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Going back to your dr sounds like a good idea to me. I hope that it is nothing serious and that you will be able to lose the excess weight without surgery.
  3. lease79

lease79 New Member

I'm not sure why you would want to gain weight to get the surgery done if you are naturally loosing weight yourself.
    As I understand it is risky surgery, but if that's what you want I hope that your Dr can help you out.

*Hugs*

Lisa
  4. Rene

Rene New Member

Yea I hope it isn't serious though that huge ovarian mass was scary and could have been deadly.

I was 13 pds under the lowest weight for the weight surgery (the one were you go home that day or the next, not gastric).

I am not able to lose weight even when dieting as I am mainly couch bound and eat for comfort.

YOu guys who are housebound and can diet and loose thats fantastic! I can't as food is my friend and comfort as I live alone.

Anyways I will go back and tell him AGAIN I am concerend. Yea that would be a miracle to keep losing and against science but just as long as it isn't something bad.

I will write down what I eat and show him. Eating and losing is a sign of diabetes but he did do a blood test for that and my thyroid and losts of stuff. All mostly normal came back.

Thanks!!!!!!!!
    Rene
  5. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Hi rene. It would be best to loose the weight without the lap band.

I've read a few articles about what can happen after this surgery is completed, eating habits are not changed.

While it can be a motivational thing to help change ones eating habits, it also can backfire leading to even more weight gain.

Your stomach can and will stretch to accommodate the amount of food that you eat in effect making your stomach twice the size of what it was before the surgery.

I'm not saying that this procedure is a bad thing, because it has helped people. What I'm saying is if you eat for comfort as you have stated it is possible that this procedure will only be a temporary fix.

I'll see if I can find the articles that I have mentioned for you and repost them here for you.

I came across these articles when I was researching a surgery that I had 2 years ago when I starting having complications from it.

Jake
  6. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi yea I've researched the lap band a lot. I have seen lots of disapointments in people regaining.

I have researched it for over a year.
    I had made up my mind to do it but was a few pds short though if I have Sleep apnea then i can get it.

Sorry it didn't work for you. I putting lapband in the back of my mind and just need to find out why I'm stuffing my face and couchridden pretty much and losing weight.

Thank you