Help managing CFS and Depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nerdieduckie, Dec 20, 2008.

1. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Hey all,
    Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Being a college student tends to eat away at any free time I have.

I need help managing my CFS and my depression. I'm currently in a really bad CFS flare (due to college, no surprise there.) The problem is, the more tired I am, the worse my depression gets. I'm already taking zoloft for the depression and when I tried to up the dosage, all it did was make me more tired. Sleeping all day is unfortunately not an option for me right now. That won't happen until after the 25th. I'd really love to be able to enjoy Christmas, so does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you,
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sleep for our DD is very important. Not necessarily the amount but also the quality.

Over the years, I have had ADs slowly not giving me relief from the depression. I am now taking Lamictal which is a mood stabilizer for bipolar but also helps your AD work better. Although I hate taking another pill, it has really helped.

However, we are all different.

Getting an evaluation by a psychiatrist over the holidays might be helpful. Also, I know you do not want to sleep away the holidays but also think of this as a time you can rest more and help yourself heal.

Good luck on your finals and have a restful but fun holiday.

[This Message was Edited on 12/20/2008]
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Have you tried taking your Zoloft at night? You might be able to up the dose if you take it at night, then if you get sleepy, it won't matter.

Right now, you just need to concentrate on getting through school and taking care of yourself. Rest as often as you can. Nap whenever you can. Hopefully once all of this stress subsides a little, you'll start to feel a little better. At least I hope so! =)
  4. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I wish I could sleep! It's not that I don't want to, it's just that since I've also been having horrid insomnia, I'm going to sleep at about 6 and sleeping until 3, at a time when my mum is wanting to do stuff like bake cookies with me and whatnot, so when I try to just go ahead and sleep, I end up feeling really bad about it.

I'm already on B vitamins, but it seems like they've been losing their effect over the past 6 months or so.

I've been on the zoloft for erm...about a year and a half. I already do take it at night, but I guess since I don't really sleep very soundly anyway, I wake up with the tiredness still there and increased if I up the dosage.
  5. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, nerdieduckie.

Quite a few people with CFS are finding that they have a partial methylation cycle block and glutathione depletion, and there is treatment available to correct them, which appears to be helping about two-thirds of those who are trying it and staying with it long enough.

I'm not sure where you are located, but there is a test panel available to determine whether these are present. In the U.S., it's available from Vitamin Diagnostics, Inc., in New Jersey. In Europe, it's available from the European Laboratory of Nutrients in the Netherlands. It's called the methylation pathways panel.

The treatment consists of certain particular nutritional supplements that are available without prescription and cost less than 3 U.S. dollars per day. However, since a small fraction of those who have tried the treatment have experienced adverse effects, it's necessary to be monitored by a physician while on the treatment. It is discussed in detail in my post of July 18, 2007.

I am not affiliated with either these laboratories or with suppliers of the supplements.

I hope this helps.

6. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, living in Indiana, New Jersey is a bit out of my reach right now. However, it is good to know for the future. Heck, I even have a friend that lives in Belgium near the border of the Netherlands. Depending on where in the Netherlands it's located, I could even go stay with her if need be!

However, finances put that off for quite a while.

Again, thank you though =]