Help me get it right, please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lazy_Susan, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

My sister-in-law, when I suggested she go in to get tested for fibro, got diagnosed on her very first doctor visit and has been under care she's very happy with ever since.

It took me 10 years to get diagnosed and I'm still not getting taken seriously even after the dx. When seeing a new doctor, I want to do things differently this time. Can someone tell me what I should and shouldn't do when I go in? Was carrying a rap sheet of symptoms too overwhelming and unbelievable for the doc?

I'm reading as much advice on here as I can but this is at the top of my list right now. Thank you for being patient with me.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Do you remember the book I told you about?
    She tells you about how to talk to doctors and says (the doctor who wrote it)that she takes the book with her everywhere.
    Pretty interesting that shes a doctor and this is the 2nd edition of book and has to educate the medical field.

Hope you can get a copy. I know its frustating to deal with.Alot of docs think you are nuts when you try to tell them everything thats wrong. Key is finding the one who believes in fibro. I did best with a family practioner.

Best of luck 3gs
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I agree with going in and talking about how this dd affects your life. That seems to be easier for doctors to understand.
    Since you already have a diagnosis, I personally, would say, this is what I've been diagnosed with. I'm looking for different treatment options, what do you suggest. You can tell a lot by what they say.
    I wouldn't trash any previous doctors, but I would let him/her know that you are taking your healthcare into your own hands and that you are looking for a good member for your 'team'.
    It's sometimes luck finding a good doc right off the bat. Determine what is most important to you in a new doctor and look for that. It may take some interviewing of a few of them unti you find the right one. Remember you are interviewing a member of your team, as I said. Think of it that way. Is this person someone you want with you on the long haul?
  4. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

All good advice. I appreciate it. Yes, I'm getting the book you suggested next week. I can't wait. I may hold off on seeing a doc til I read it. I want to get it right this time. Today, I was ready to go back on methadone and I swore I'd never go through that again--but that's how horrendous the stabbing pains have been this past week. Sorry, just blowing off steam. Thank you again for taking the time to answer.
  5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I think it all depends on the doctor you see. They're all different in how they respond and what they believe etc....

It took me a long time to find good doctors. I was able to though by contacting my local CFS and FMS support groups and asking for references to good doctors. There's a list on this Message Board of good docs as well.

By all means bring your list of Sx. A good doctor will appreciate that.

Btw, some of the doctors that the support groups suggested still were wrong for me but at least 2 of them were good and are my current doctors now.
  6. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

...for your response. I'll keep that in mind. I'm glad you found good doctors. This has been a long long search for me. Not sure if I said it here or not but the only two who helped me retired.