help me please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzi45, Jan 4, 2006.

1. suzi45

suzi45 New Member

i have just had the results from my blood tests and my sit in doctor, who i am unkeen on now states that he thinks my pains are due to Anemia, he has given me iron tablets which i have to take 3 times a day, then he tells me i have to go for more blood tests as he is unsure if i have amenia and he wants to try and find a cause to why all my tests came back low....dont really understand what he is going on about. i am feeling very confused now as the first doctor i saw said it was due to the muscles tightening, put me on stromg pain killers and said if the pain was still there i would have to have the blood tests. i then see my own doctor, who sent me for the blood tests for 6 different things and said it might be fm, now this doctor is sayiny he thinks it might be anemia, is it me or is this doctor as stupid as i have always belived him to be.
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

But I do know if you take perscription iron pills you'll be in for more trouble than when you started. Haven't heard of one person who tolerated them well, they are synthetic, are poorly absorbed and cause constipation in near everyone.

Get yourself some dessicated liver, best and safest way to get your iron and blood built back up. Since it's a high iron food, it contains all the cofactor nutrients needed for your body to absorb it well. If you like liver,, and don't gag on it like I do, then eat it several times a week, better yet. Also, don't be shy to eat lots of red meat, it's the best form of iron. Hope you aren't vegetarian, because non-heme iron from plants is not as well absorbed at all. It's not that vegetarianism is bad, it's just if you are anemic and refuse to eat meat, it can be much harder to treat. And can casue anemia in sensitive people.

Has your iron showed as low on blood tests? Haven't heard of low iron causing muscle pain, the more classic symtoms are paleness & severe fatigue.

Jeanne
  3. MsE

MsE New Member

Another symptom of anemia is dark circles under the eyes. Also, when a person is really anemic, thinking is sometimes more difficult because the brain doesn't get fed correctly. I think I've read depression can also be part of the picture.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Suzi45:
    If you think that one of your doctors has been 'stupid' for quite some time: why not change him. I have been through the same garbage, the inconsistencies, the brush off,
    the 'I Can't Help You' ones, and all that should be
    taking their diplomas off the wall and head back to school for a refresher course.

I hope your anemia gets better. I know it is serious and hope the 'good' doctor treats you well.
    Where there is a will, there is a way.
    You will find it.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I got this from online. Those are the possible causes of anemia if that's what was discovered. In that case, that's why he would want to know why you have it:

Could you be suffering from anemia associated with a number of serious diseases? Those at risk include people with chronic kidney disease, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer; chronic inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis or inflammatory bowel disease; and persistent infections such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). (end)

The tricky thing about giving an FM diagnosis (your profile doesn't mention what you have been diagnosed with, or if your waiting for a diagnosis) is they have to have frustrated all other possibilities, like an elimination process since there is no verifiable test of FM. If you keep having anemia after eating iron, there might be an internal cause he has to investigate.

The site also states the following: Anemia may become worse if it is not treated, and it can lead to potentially serious, even life-threatening complications. When the number of red blood cells decreases, the heart works harder, pumping more blood to send more oxygen throughout the body. If the heart works too hard, it can develop a rapid heartbeat (tachycardia), and/or another serious condition known as left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH), an enlargement of the heart muscle that in turn can lead to heart failure.
    maybe the anemia is a good thing to investigate, I had it during my childhood because of chronic diarrea and one of the symptoms were muscle pain/ tightening. Besides that I had fatigue, hard to concentrate, hard to breathe, dizzy/ faint.

I would love to see your profile filled out some day, I have a special place in my heart for British people!! It's all thanks to my dad, we love to watch british TV ( I moved here from Sweden in 97) and he wanted everything to be British. LOL!

6. suzi45

suzi45 New Member

Hi everyone!
    Thanks ever so much for your comments, they are most appriciated, i will try all the different things that have been sujested, except for the liver......

look after yourselves.....
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

I was once very anemic it was due to my iron being so low..My symptoms were fatigue, anxiety, felt like I couldn't breath, heart palps..The doc put me on iron but had to take it with vit. C and food..It took about 3 months to build it up and I felt much better..

Then the heavy periods started, going into menapause, and I was very anemic again..Finally had a hysterectomy and now my blood is to thick, but my iron count is a little on the low side..

I am sure this is not helpful to you but with my anemia I didn't have any pain..

Hope you get some answers soon..
    greatgran