HELP ME PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by missymiss, Mar 8, 2003.

1. missymiss

missymiss New Member

I suffer from CFS, and am still in the early stages, I was only diagnosed a month ago. Anyway, recently I have been getting a firey but cold, numb and tingley sensation running from my elbows up to my shoulders and through my chest. I had it last night, and because I started to worry about it, it developed into a mild panic attack. Does anyone know if this is a symptom of CFS or is it something else?? Please help it's driving me crazy!!
    *Missymiss*
  2. missymiss

missymiss New Member

please anyone I'm desperate..
  3. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I have CFS but I've never had this before. I'm sorry you are having such a rough time right now. I hope you feel bettter soon.

Maybe someone else will be along that can give you some insight.

Take care,
    Sapphire
  4. PEACH

PEACH New Member

DEAR MISSYMISS: I CAN'T HELP YOU WITH THIS BUT HANG IN THERE SOMEONE WILL ANSWER YOUR POST THAT MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU! I HAVE A LOT OF THAT PROBLEM BUT I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS RELATED TO CFS OR IF IT MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE REST OF MY PROBLEMS AS YOU KNOW WE ALL SEEM TO HAVE A HANDFUL OR MORE OF SYMTOMS AND ILLNESS TO BOOT.KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS AND YOU WILL GET YOUR ANSWER I AM SURE OF IT.
    SINCERELY PEACH
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Next time this makes you start to panic,try this: Put the tip of your tongue against the back of your top teeth. Close your mouth. Breathe in deeply through your nose only to a count of 7. Hold it for a count of 4. Now, keeping your tongue against your top teeth, open your mouth and breath out through your mouth, while pursing your lips to make a whooshing sound, to a count of 8. Do this at least 3 times in a row. It calms your central nervous system, and if you are breathing deeply, you can't panic. Make sure when you breathe, your stomach is going up and down, not just your chest. It sounds hard, but is very easy once you get to doing it.
    As far as the symptoms you are having, if your doctor has not already been told, I'd tell him, just to make sure it isn't something else. It sounds like dysautonomia, which is part and parcel of FMS and CFS. Do a websearch for dysautonomia, and you should find a lot of info on it. Basically, our nervous systems are dysregulated and they sometimes mis-fire. I was in the doc's office one day, when all of a sudden one side of both my arms felt like it was on fire, while the other sides of both arms had goose bumps and was freezing with the hair standing on end. Doc said it was misfiring of the autonomic nervous system, or dysautonomia. As I sit here, my face is on fire, and my arms are all tingly and prickly. I've been this way for 3 days now. It is slow on weekends here, or you would have gotten more replies from people who have these sensations. I assure you, you are not alone.
    As far as what to do about it, I have found the only things that help me at all are my daily doses of GABA (the main calming transmitter in the brain, avail. at health food stores), Xanax in small doses when it gets so bad it scares me, and distracting myself with other activities (like typing this). I also gave myself permission to put on a sweater if I need it even though everyone else is hot, or to go outside in 50 degree weather with an ice pack on my face if I feel hot when others are cold. I don't care if they think I'm nuts!
    Klutzo
  6. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

Missymiss,
    I have had arm pain that shoots down my arms into my hands w/this DD. I also get a pins & needles feeling in my arms & hands sometimes. I agree w/the previous post though, you should be sure to bring it to your Dr's attention to see what he/she thinks.
    Take care,
    ***Pixie***
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I've got FM, not CFS, but I do experience tingling sensations (and they are not all the same; there are several kinds of tingling that I have in various parts of my body). I have never had a panic attack as such, but I do experience great anxiety with new, strange symptoms, where it's almost like "panic". I am learning to control my anxiety about FM (mind you, I said my anxiety about it! Not the FM itself...) much better the longer I have it. Some of it just comes from my history of four years & counting with it...I've started to see patterns, and realize that I get very weird, uncomfortable symptoms, some are constant but many come & go, and I've learned that they often go sooner if I can keep my anxiety level down. I just try to ride them out. You are newly dx'd, and I was definitely where you are now, then. I hope it gets easier for you as time goes on (the CFS may not, but the coping & panic part). And also, I should say, DO get anything scary checked out, as it always COULD be more than just a panic attack, and even if it's not, peace of mind is very important....

Good luck, hope you feel better!

*By the way, I absolutely agree with & can relate to the symptoms Klutzo describes, & the "misfiring" of the autonomic nervous system---those of us with neurological symptoms describe a lot of the same sensations, it's as if there's a "short" in there somewhere.

Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 03/10/2003]