Help me with my cat allergy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Prunella, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I will be visiting my daughter in a few days and she has two cats. I am terribly allergic to them - sneezing,itching eyes, ears and throat, sniffling, etc. This happens within five minutes of being in her apt. I purposely won't be in there long, but I sure wish I could stay longer than five minutes!

I don't like to take meds, so I was wondering if anyone knows and more natural approaches. She is young and not the best housekeeper. I am going to ask her if she can vacuum and dust a few days before I come, but that may even stir up the problem more. She has a porch off her bedroom, but this is Wisconsin and I can't stay out there very long. I can have her open her windows, but we will be cold. The reaction ruins the rest of the day as it takes a while to wear off.

The cats are adorable. Wish I could hold them. She is such an animal lover and the first thing she did when she got her own place was get these two cats. She couldn't have cats when she was growing up because of me.

Last time I visited her I stayed in a B&B. This time I will just be there for the day. Any ideas?
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

See a post I did entitled "Try this Allergy clearing technique" - I used it on my sister who has a strong cat allergy and it worked to clear her allergy.

Mary
  3. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I have the very same problem as you! My daughters have dogs and I'm allergic to them ! Sneezing, itching eyes ears and throat.It is very dangerous b/c your throat can swell shut and you die. I will not put myself though that.
    I am sick for days after that! I call and tell my daughter that I'll be there at a certain time and then I take her out and treat her to dinner. After that we go shopping and then I leave. With all the problems that we already have we don't need to make our lives any harder.
    Hugs Shirley
  4. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Thanks for your replies. Haninginthere, I can just picture your cat baths in my mind. Your story makes me smile! We had a cats when I was a child and I never had a problem. We didn't have them during my teen years and at age 17 I had a bad reaction visiting relatives who had a cat. My ragweed allergy started that year, too. I wonder if it had something to do with hormones changing. My ragweed allergy stopped around 10 yrs ago. Amazing! I am not around cats at all, so maybe I haven't built up an immunity. You are such a caring mother to have done that for your son.

Mary ,are you talking about NAET? I have heard about that.

Shirly, yes I can relate. Do you think our throats can swell shut? That's a scary thought. I do get really bad. When I come home I take off most of my clothes in the garage and head straight for the shower. Then I air out my clothes outdoors before I wash them. I told my daughter when she gets married she should buy a farm and keep her animals in the barn. I am shocked at how severe this allergy is. I always wonder what would happen if I stayed there more than five minutes. This whole thing is such a stress on my body. I feel absolutely drained.

If I do take meds, I wonder which would cause the least reactions?
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

The bathing thing sounds like a good idea to me. I used to have a doctor who was allergic to his cat or dog, I forget which it was. What I do remember, is the animal had what appeared to me dandruff. He used NISORAL shampoo on the animal and it cleared up the dandruff, AND he amazingly no longer found himself allergic to it. So I would definately ask her to try the bathing thing.

6. deb20003

deb20003 New Member

Prunella,

I think a big problem is going to be that the dander is everywhere. I use a carpet cleaner with allergen reducers and you can also buy febreze with allergen reducers. I don't like febreze for any other uses, but it might help. Also I agree that she should bathe the cats right before you come. If you have a prescription for a nasal spray, that would be good. My husband uses an over the counter one called "nasalcromm" or something like that but you need to use it for a week or even two BEFORE you really need it and then use it several times a day. The nice thing about the nasal sprays is that they don't get into your system like the antihistimines that you take by mouth.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Deb
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

By the way, I love your name - is it from a fairytale such as Cinderella?

The allergy clearing method I wrote about is not NAET, although someone who looked up the website I wrote about said it sounded similar. I have no experience with NAET.

The method I posted about can be done by anyone, they don't need any special training. They just have to follow the directions step by step. It's not difficult, but you need someone to do it with you, you can't do it by yourself.

It really helped my sister a lot. After I did the clearing with her (using some cat hair from my own cat), she visited at our mom's for the week-end. My mom has a cat too. My sister usually would get a fair amount of congestion, and welts from very mild scratches while holding the cat, and she had almost no reaction this time. The effects of the allergy clearing lasted about 2 months and then we re-did it. It only takes about 5 minutes to do. The clearing involves tapping on certain meridian points and muscle testing which is clearly explained in the directions.

Mary
  8. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Like most cats, hers freak out in water. As a few have said here, you have to start them out very young for bathing.

That's interesting about the Nizoral shampoo. A great thing to try for dogs and those cats that will let you bathe them.

At this point, even if she could bathe her cats, her apt is saturated and would need a major cleaning.

Hmmm, I was just wondering if one of those face masks would work? For me that is, not the cats!
  9. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

I saw a woman at a horse show earlier this year wearing a pretty severe-looking face mask, but everyone seemed to understand what is was for and no one made comments oranything dumb like that. She had a severe allergy to horses but her daughter was in the show -which was indoors, early in the season - and she wanted to come and support her.

Maybe you could ask your doctor, allergist or pharmacist for something like that, which will help protect you while you spend a few hours with your daughter.

Or agree to meet outside like another poster suggested, go to a nice restaurant or a movie, or both! :)
  10. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I looked at your post and saw that it is about muscle testing. My chiropractor has been doing this on me since before I knew what it was. I would be very skeptical about such a thing if I hadn't seen the amazing way it works! He mostly does it to test for things I might be allergic to. The accuracy has been amazing!!! Too bad that site is so spiritual and New Age. I have a book I bought about it written by a woman chiropractor from California. Nothing spritual in there at all. It gives instructions how to do it yourself. I haven't tried it myself out of concern about maybe making something worse. My chiropractor,who BTW is a devout Christian, tests for allergies, but doesn't do the corrections very often. I brought up the cat allergy a while ago and he did not want to correct for it. I will ask him about it again.

I recently had a bad reaction to Vit C and he tested various supplements (Pure, buffered, etc.) and I reacted badly to all of them. He was surprised that someone would react to Vit C like that. He had never seen it before. But I was glad to have my suspicions verified.

Muscle testing is one of the strangest things I have ever seen. I don't think I would believe it either if I hadn't experienced it.

I am looking for that book, but I can't find it. I am sure if someone Googled "muscle testing" they would find more sites about it than the one you mentioned.
  11. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I have one of those loose fitting face masks that you tie on. I'll bring it along and see if it helps. We do go out to eat and shop, but sometimes we just want to hang out at her place. She could use help in the kitchen and she is very creative and proud of the way she decorated her place. And sometimes I'm too tired to go out to shop, etc. We just want to hang out and talk.
  12. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Yes it is a fact that if you're allergic to anything that it can cause the throat to swell. The more you expose yourself to allergens the worse you'll get. I know the last time I went to my daughters my eyes swelled shut,I had to stop and let my husband drive home.When your (throat&roof of the mouth) itches that means it's a sign of an allergic reaction and possible swelling.I can't even ride in her car b/c they have had the dogs in there.I start to sneeze and wheeze as soon as I got in. Went back and got my own car.My daughter is very very clean and had a air filter put on her furnace all to no avail.No matter what anyone thinks---it is not worth it. Then I go home and I'm sick for a week.Taking Allergy Pills does not do a thing but mask the symptoms. YOU are still breathing the dander and harming your already defective immune system.
    Hugs Shirley
  13. ramiest

ramiest New Member

I seem to recall there's a spray one can put on the cat's coat to reduce the allergens. I have no idea if it is great for the cat, or if it works, but I seem to have seen it at one of the major pet food chains.I remember thinking it would be great to get when my friend comes to visit who is allergic to cats. I was wondering if the cat would lick it off before it would have a chance to help?
  14. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I can't imagine how cat or dog baths would work b/c the hair ,dander or whatever is the cause of allergic reaction to animals---it would still be all over the house,no matter how much you clean. Especially with carpet.
    And even in the forced air ducts for heat and A/C! It may make it some better but when I stayed on the porch,the dogs still made me sick. I get severe headaches and itching,swollen eyes and throat,then for a week I'm so sick
    I can hardly get out of bed. That on top of everything else that plaques me. Oh well I can't make head nor tail of it.
    Hugs Shirley
  15. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Well, I stayed in there less than 5 min. She had the windows open (Brrr!). I brought a lunch that I had made along and ate it standing outside her door. The good news is I did not have a reaction at all. My health was good and we did a lot of shopping that day, although we would rather have been at her place.

Thanks for all of your advice.

I do remember now that last time my chiropractor did do the muscle testing to correct the cat allergy and it did not work at all. In fact, that time I was worse than ever. This time I had no reaction at all although I really wasn't in there much.
  16. woofmom

woofmom New Member

In 1991 I got a hampster for my son. I stayed sick. I got rid of it and felt slightly better. I did not get well till I got rid of everything it came in contact with. Later I found out that it wasn't the hamster that made me sick. It was the cedar bedding. That stuff is treated with chemicals. BTW, just a little something to check into. Flea collars, powder, or whatever else you put on or in cats.