Help, medicare??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ginner, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I have just applied for disability.

Can I get medicare?I am 54

I am sorry, I have asked this question as direct as I can and I get the run around or I have brain fog..I don't think so becuz I call when I am as clear as I can be..hmmm.
    I look it up and it is too hard for to be quite honest. I get sick.
    I so appreciate is someone has some kind of a direct answer to help me.
    You are thee best..I have learned much here.
    I will try to give back when I can..
    I am begging..on my knees....head ~ which ever
  2. pat460

pat460 New Member

When you start receiving Social Security Disability you will become eligible for Medicare. There is a waiting period, but I can't remember if it's 6mo. or a year. After you are awarded SSD, Medicare will send you a letter telling you the date you will become eligible. Have you tried calling Medicare? They should be able to tell you the rules. It's been a few years for me but I think my info is correct.

Hope I've helped, pat460
  3. Ginner

Ginner New Member

pat40 and skeezix..
  4. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I just filled in my profile..it took a while and of course it is wordy, but it is there. It will explain my saga with ssdi, etc.
    thx
    ginner
  5. LaQuiet

LaQuiet New Member

I got MediCare the day I got SSDI though it might be because I was already on Medi-Cal. Don't know for sure though.
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I noticed your question was answered but I wanted to mention that if you are paying for COBRA right now....when you get Medicare, make sure to to go over your prescriptions with them and get on a good plan because you can get them at almost no cost if you get a good one.

I had to quit my full time job not too long ago and they didnt want to give me FMLA or STD or LTD at that and when I quit the so "graciously" offered me COBRA...like I would have the money to pay for it!!

But I hadnt been working long enough that my Medicare had been terminated so I just went right back on it...and little did I know that it was cheaper than the insurance that I was paying for. Now Im getting all my prescriptions at $5 or under.

Just a thought.
  7. Ginner

Ginner New Member

Thank you all...
  8. melindami

melindami New Member

I am 33 applied for ssdi.. I heard you have to have a real low combined income to receive those benefits .. Is it true??? Because my husband makes a lot of money.. Hell will they decline me ssdi because of his income??? He work's offshore even though he makes a high yearly salary some months we are using credit cards or currently he sold motorcycle and we are using that to pay bills... He works 4 weeks off for two weeks so sometimes pay periods fall when he didn't work much... It's crazy, he's getting ready to upgrade liscence and make even more... We have terrible health insurance every test i take cost $300..
    My new prescription is going cost close to $100/month...

I need help like everyone else , but I'm afraid medicaid is going to decline me do to his income after I am eligible..

Melinda
  9. 6cats

6cats New Member

I am 42 and am on medicare..and I didnt even know it! So yes you can get it :)