Help!!! Might lose job due to Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by wendylisa, Feb 11, 2015.

1. wendylisa

wendylisa Member

Can someone pls tell me the difference is between Fibromyalgia. My employer us trying to dismiss me and seem to be saying they do not consider Fibro to to be acceptable for ill health retirement. I have had fibro since 2006 and my 'fogs' seem to be getting more frequent and more noticeable and have just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism also. I am scared that I am going to lose my job and my pension that I have put nearly 30 years into. Really scared atm and this extra pressure is not helping my fogs, anxiety or depression as I am sure each and every one of u know about. Any suggestions pls. Wxxx
  2. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Hi there, I think that there is most likely a better spot for this post in the advocacy section - I will copy and paste it for you, and hopefully you will get some more responses.

Unfortunately, I live in the UK - so I am not 'up' on the whole situation in regards to losing jobs because of ill health (here that would be illegal and considered as discrimination!).

In saying this, I do have several friends in the US who are both using solicitors to help them to gain at least benefits. Very stressful for sure, and this stress is not going to help you in regards to how you are feeling on a day to day basis, either.

Let me move this for you. Hang in there! You are far from the first nor the last going through this kind of thing - and I am positive that there is help for you. You might also want to look at any groups on Facebook that might pertain to this. (I know there is one in the UK called Fightback - who are excellent).

Also (thinking as I type). How about looking up your local disability center/group - I am almost positive that there will be one - THESE are the people you really need to be speaking with. They KNOW the law and they will know how to help you.

Help is there sweetie - I think you are so overcome with stress (like most of us would be), thinking straight in regards to what needs to be done, doesn't come easy.

Sending a hug.

3. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Hashimotos and gluten exposure

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  4. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Hi there, firstly, know that you are not alone in this....thousands are in a similar position in regards to work and health.

I think that you have several options to be honest. Here are my thoughts:

1. See if there is a disabled advocacy group in your area to make sure that your work is not discriminating against you.
    2. Provide your boss with a print out of what fibromyalgia really is -- and how it affects people. (There's loads online to choose from).
    3. Start taking proactive choices in regards to what you need to do to get yourself back on your feet again. Have a good look at the supplements on ProHealth - there are ones on there for everything from sleep to brain fog, energy, boosting immune system.
    4. When is the last time you had a full blood workup? Ask to get your magnesium, b12, D and everything else checked out.

Remember - doctors will provide you with meds for pain and sleep etc - but they are not actually doing anything to find out what is causing the problem and dealing with it - hence I mention supplements.

Lastly, please look into a functional medicine doctor ....they can do a lot of tests on you that can and will provide answers - including not just you, but your environment. They will not throw meds to cover up pain to you, but get to the root of the issue and go from there in regards to getting you back on your feet. Adrenal fatigue would also be looked at (I don't know why western doctors don't deal with this much).

I fully understand the stress aspect...believe me, I do. At the time when I was at my worst, we had to shut down our family business (that and the recession, not just my illness). I kept going to the doctor, who kept saying, 'we've tried everything'. And felt a sense of hopelessness and fear.

There is help out there - and answers. And you do have choices!

RadioFM likes this.