HELP Muscles Seizing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by valleyann, Feb 14, 2007.

1. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello Everyone,

Long time no chat! I've been so terribly busy with school I haven't hardly had anytime to come to the board lately...

I hope all is well with everyone! I'd really like to hear from you all.

The past few days I've been experiencing something that I haven't experienced before...I'm not sure if it's muscle cramping or seizing or what it is? So I thought I'd run it by you all.

Ok so yesterday, I was lying in bed and I lifted up my leg to turn over and all of a sudden it felt (this sounds weird) like a muscle in my butt like bunched up and it hurt like nothing else! I couldn't lay on my back because it hurt too badly...but luckily it was short lived (like 5 - 10 minutes).

Then this morning, when I was in bed waking up I stretched my body as my usual get my self out of bed routine and pointed my toes out and then my calve muscle on my right leg completely seized up...even when I bent my foot back to the normal position my muscle was still contracted! I hurt so bad! This also didn't last that long, just like above.

Other than this the only type of seizures I experience are in my hands, they clench up if I over do it at all.

I'm worried that things may be getting worse for me...does anyone experience this? Does it sound like the FM? Or could it be sign of something else?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide me with. And if you can't, I'd love to hear from you all anyways. :)

Take Care,
    Val

2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I've had those in my calf before, kind of like a charlie horse after it just barely begins to go away. If that makes any sense?!

I have them in my butt frequently, but usually just on one side.

The massage therapist said that its actually originating from my lower back. If you look at a picture of the muscles you can see they all sort of connect to that area of your back.

This rambling message probably makes no sense, but I think I have what your're describing.

stretching and heat help, my tens unit helps. Hope you get some relief.
  3. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi Val,

I was just wondering if you take Calcium and Magnesium? If you are deficient in either of these it can cause muscle spasms or cramps. That is the only suggestion I have. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I hope you find some relief. I know it is frustrating and upsetting when you get new symptoms.

Take Care,
    Pam
  4. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Sounds like you might be low on Magnesium...Magnesium causes the muscles to relax, Calcium to contract. You might benefit from extra magesium (citrate) 400-800mg at bedtime. But stay away from any extra calcium or any supplements that have Calcium.

A great herb for cramping and muscle problems is Passion Flower. Take it at bedtime, it also helps tremendously with sleep.

Good luck.
  5. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

Thanks for responding to my post. I wasn't sure whether to use the term seizing or cramping because I didn't know exactly what was happening with my body and I'm still unsure, but I'm definitly leaning towards cramping and I think it may be a magnesium deficiency...I get plenty of water in a day so I'm pretty sure it isn't dehydration. But hey maybe next time I'll drink a glass of water and see what happens.

Val
  6. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

Thanks for responding to my post. Yah I get them in my butt and like you, usually on one side. And then last night I have it on my chin (same leg with the calf the night before) I was in so much pain I thought my leg was going to fall off and it's still a little sore today. If this keeps up I might go see my doctor.

Do you think that this is common in people who have FM?

I wouldn't doubt if it is originating from the lower back because I have a bad back too. I would love to go get a massage, but I'm a poor student, so I just have to wait a few more months until I graduate then I'm going to see one for sure. What kind of massages do you get?

Val
  7. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hi Prickles!

How are you doing? How is school going? Long time no chat! :)

That ring pen sounds interesting...I'll have to check that out. I bought this really squishy gel pen which has been better than the normal pens. But my hands a real pain when I need to carry anything for any distance...like groceries (which is probably why I've come to hate grocery shopping!)

Val
  8. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hi Pam,

I take a multivitamin pill that contains calcium and magnesium (mag. oxide). But I think I'm going to start taking a magnesium supplement and see how that goes, I've heard mag. oxide isn't great.

Thanks for responding to my post. It seems like new symptoms all the time and I'm such a worrier so that doesn't help I'm sure! :)

Val
  9. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

Thanks for responding to my post. I'm going to pick up some magnesium citrate today and hopefully that will help...it seems like every night now I have some kind of cramping.

I am taking a multivitamin pill that contains mag. oxide and calcium (not much 150mg). Do you think I could just increase my magnesium and keep taking the multivitamins? The reason I ask is because I'd like to keep getting all the other good things in the multivitiman.

Passion Flower? That sounds interesting, I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some of that.

Val
  10. Kazah

Kazah New Member

I think cramps are usually due to lack of salt - If you drink something isotonic (sports drink) regularly that should do the trick.

good luck

kazah
  11. California31

California31 New Member

That's what I experience in my upper arms...(not spasms (which is how the doctors often phrase...)...so I said...no...no spasms...but the rigid..seizing...is what doctors ...at least at my HMO....termed spasms...
    Go figure....Good day..to ya.
  12. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

There is a lot of info on muscle spasms and magnesium and potassium deficiency. You need to be careful about changing too much of your diet at the same time. I had one doctor tell me to make sure to drink lots of water. One doctor who told me to take potassium, and more than who told me that there was nothing that could be done.

I have had the calf spasms you describe. The only thing that works for me is if I can manage to point my toes...it is very painful, and at times I have tought that my calf muscle was going to explode. Another idea on calf cramps is to make sure that your achilles' tendons are streched as much as possible.

Oh, a muscle spasm does not have to be flexing and relaxing in order for it to be a spasm. There are some people who have spams (or knots) in their muscles and do not even know it. Most muscles are not made to be flexed all the time. These types of spasms can cause lots of other problems.

I sometimes get the twitching type of spasms...in the strangest places (like my forearms, my quadraceps, and some of the longer muscles in my back.

Not sure what else I can say...talk to your doctor and maybe he/she will have some ideas to try.

Good luck.

Ingrid

[This Message was Edited on 02/16/2007]
  13. bewell4

bewell4 New Member

just the last 2 days down on the pad of my thumb- that muscle there- started "jumping". it was jumping so 'hard' that it was moving my thumb, like a 'tick' or something! jump, jump, jump. it was very odd and rather creepy. i have just found this board, and know i have been overdoing with using my fingers/hands. was wondering if this is a muscle spasm, and ...yuck! if it is fibro or what? ...isn't it a challenge to sort out symptoms? i already have the specter of "hypochondriac" judgment looming over me and breathing down my neck. every time i have something new (or even old!), my tendency is to ignore/numb out to it. at the same time, i don't want to live with any pain or weirdness unnecessarily! so, i appreciate the courage of people speaking up, and the supportive responses. take care, all! and- what can i do about this "muscle spasm" (if that is what it is!)?!?
  14. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I also got these.I have them less often now.Please make an appointment with a neurologist.

Mine has me on nueontrin .I am not sure if thats helping but the cramps are few and far between now.

I see her(my ) neurologist every 3 months.She helps with treating my FM ,DDD,and my OA.Also keeps tabs on my carper tunnel ( both hands ) and my tendinitis.She works along with my orthopedic doctor and I have had surgery to fix one of my tendinitis locations.

Sue
  15. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

Thanks for responding to my post. I really appreciate all the great advice I'm getting on here, you all are so very supportive on here. :)

That's funny that you say it's due to a lack of salt, because that very well could be the case with me.

I'm not sure if you've read my profile but at the beginning of January I put myself on a strict diet. I'm trying to cut out sugar, salt, bad cabs, and bad fats of my diet. I eat mainly fresh fruits and vegetables and lean meats. I also take supplements, such as "Greens" (a vegetable supplement), Omega-3 pills, Multi-vitamin pills, and a fibre supplement. So far I have lost about 15 pounds (since January - probably more now). And I feel better than ever.

But I wonder maybe I shouldn't be so strict on my diet...maybe I'm depriving myself of salt or other things? I just always thought that salt was bad for me, so I don't use it at all.

Oh, I should also mention...that I have liver disease. Which is one of the main reasons why I have to lose weight..."right now" as my doctor says. I have to have tests every 3 months to make sure the damage isn't progressing, but unfortunatly it is. So we'll see, now that I've lost all this weight they are hoping the damage will slow down.

Anyways, maybe I'll try out that sports drink and see what happens.

Val
  16. valleyann

valleyann New Member

All these different terms sometimes confuse me... cramping, spasming, seizing... I wish someone could really explain the difference between the three terms.

From my knowledge...spasms is more like a twitch? Cramping is more like stiff with pain? and Seizing is when the must freezes up with pain? What do you think?

I have had spasms in my shoulders and it was like a twitching with sharp shooting pains (that's what my doc termed it).

I have seizing with my hands...where they will clench shut and i have to pry them open.

And I believe the pain I'm going through the past few days is either cramping or seizing...I'm just not sure what? Because with the hands it's easy to tell because they close up. How do I tell with my butt muscles, or my calves?

Val
  17. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello Ingrid,

Just as I mentioned above, I'm not sure about the terms Spasm, Cramp, and Seize...are they used interchangeably or is there a difference between them?

I have knots in my shoulders and neck...those are a big pain in the butt. Causing loads of pain for me. I used to get messages and they never seemed to go away (permanently).

I get muscle twitching too...in my shoulders, my eyes, my upper lip, my legs. The one in my lip has be predomenant these days and it's driving me crazy!

I think I very well could be deficient in something...I have been "hardcore" dieting the past few months and these spasm/cramp/seizing incidences have been happening more often.

If it continues or gets worse I think I will go talk to my doctor. To be honest I hate going to the doctors because I have been in and out for other things like 100 times this year.

Val
  18. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

I haven't experienced the same symptom that you are having, but it sounds to me like a spasm. I think that there are many reasons why people have muscle spasms (as you can see from above posts) so I wouldn't jump the gun on Fibro unless you have some of the other major symptoms.

I know how you feel about people judging and throwing "hypochondria" around...it hurts. But you have to realize that sometimes people just can't understand this disease because it's invisible to everyone except for the people who have it. The only people that truly understand are others with the disease or people that live with you and see the pain you go through on a daily basis.

Sorry i can't be much help about your muscle spasm, but if it bothers you alot it couldn't hurt to go see your doctor about it.

Val
  19. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello Sue,

Thanks for responding to my post. You've given me a totally different perspective on the situation, which I appreciate. It's always good to look at problems from various angles.

When my lip started twitching like everyday (last month) I was starting to worry that it might be neuroligical. And now my other muscles are going crazy...it's all too convenient that this has started happening since I started dieting in January.

Another thing that had me worried, which has been going on for a few years now. Is I get this elastic band snapping pain in my shoulder and my heel (tendon) followed by a burning sensation. My family doc said it was a muscle spasm...

I think I'm going to try to take some supplements for a little while and if they don't go away or get better I will definitly go see a doctor.

Thanks for the advice!
    Val
  20. bewell4

bewell4 New Member

i am pretty sure i have fibro, although i would of course jump for joy if someone could figure out that i don't have it and these last four years have just been a silly mistake! my first doc, i remember saying, weeell, don't be so quick to think fibro, first you need to get things checked out separately. ha! maybe i just have a stiff painful jaw, and tight painful neck muscles, as well as all over "hit by a truck" soreness in my chest, back, arms, legs, feet and hands. and maybe it is something else causing my feet to hurt through and through. and me to feel like death warmed over when i force myself out of bed in the morning! (lol! maniacal laughter and screaming going on in the background...ha, ha). okay, of course there is more, but i have begun to bore myself. lol. oh, sigh. lets see...i meant to thank you for your concern, but somehow i got caught up in my rant of cataloging my pain and issues. sigh!