Help my back hurts severely

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kdeenak, Feb 22, 2010.

1. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

my fibro has been flaring for weeks and I don't know what to do. My pain med is not working and neither is lyrica. I could cry right now. My husband is a PT and not very supportive.

2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Very relaxing and the magnesium is great for stiff muscles.

MAny infections don't tolerate heat. We tend not to get fevers and run low body temps, so a bath is a great idea.

I also use a closet sauna. I have a small walkin closet with a plug in 1500W heater. I sweat real good.

A magnesium supplement, time released is best is also a great muscle relaxer. No danger of overdose, I just get a little diarrhea. Calm by Natural Vitality works good, the Lemon-Raspberry flavor is very good and works on my migraines too. It isn't time released.
  3. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I thought for years that my worsening back pain was Fibro. If you have worsening back pain especially in the spine area or lower back/hip area see a doctor. Get an MRI to find out what's really going on especially if your normal pain meds are not working. Also get a bone density test and check your Vitamin D levels.

It would be helpful to know what your IGF-1 level is too. That is a marker for growth hormone. Many people with fibro don't make growth hormone during their sleep. It's unknown if it's because we don't sleep deeply enough to make growth hormone. Or possibly this is due to underlying active and latent infections.

It turns out that it was a compression fracture at T10 (thoracic area) due to osteoporosis. From there, I developed fractures at L4 & L5 (lower back) and then went on to have 3 more fractures at L1, L2, and L3. My fractures would NOT heal after almost 9 months of bed rest so I had to have bone cement injected into three vertebrae in 2 separate surgeries.

I was eventually diagnosed as being growth hormone deficient and flunked the stim test for HGH release. Now I'm on shots of growth hormone daily and Forteo which is parathyroid hormone shown to build bone.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I totally agree with the previous poster! Get at CT scan or an MRI of you total back to see what is wrong.

I, too, have tons of stuff wrong with my back and it has absolutely nothing to do with fibro.
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I agree with munch1958, I end up with arthritic facet joints in L3/4, L4/5 causing alot of my pain and was treated with an injection with a local anaesthetic and cortisone. The anaesthetic works straight away and last 6hrs and its amazing to feel no pain, the cortisone takes a little over a week to work properly but greatly improves pain, I should have done it sooner, these can give relief for up to 6 months or longer combined with the right physio, but a diagnosis from a ct scan is needed.