Help! MY FEET HURT! Could it be RA???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I know I've been talking about me feet a lot but UGH! It scares me a little.

I don't think they swell, at least not noticably so. But my bones hurt. Feels like no padding at all. I haven't gotten out of be yet but I feel like I've been walking for days.

I want to put them in ice. Could this be RA with no swelling? Or do you have any other ideas of what it could be? I just don't want it to be another FM thing that I just have to live with.

It scares me that I'll lose my mobility. I've already reduced my outings so much. Any tips?

Thanks,
    Sofi
  2. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

Sofi,
    Hi I'm not sure what it is but my feet feel like they are broke! I can only handle being on them for short times and then I have to have them propped up!
    My hubby bought me some new tennis shoes to see if that would help. They are new balance and they have helped some but I find that when I take them off and try to walk it about kills me!! I think it is FM personally because no one can explain it.
    I have tried all kinds of insoles and nothing seems to really help. Hope someone has the answer you are looking for because I would like it too!
    Cindy
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It sounds like lack of pantothenic acid. Many get relief from painful feet w/ this B vitamin, including me. I also get some muscle pain relief too and improved mood and coordination. I started taking it for what I called the "bitchy clumsies", I had no idea it worked on muscle function or for painful feet, it's actually essential for muscle nerve conduction.

My feet used to be so bad that I had to crawl when the attack was bad enough. Try and notice your triggers, are their things that set it off? Shopping, (because I'm chemically sensitive), airfresheners, perfume and heavy traffic fumes and really damp days wre all huge triggers for me.

500 mgs capsules, 2-3 times a day are typical to get relief. But over time, you may need much less or even go off it at least for breaks like I do.

Jeanne
  4. TinysMom

TinysMom New Member

HI--BOY DO I UNDERSTAND YOUR SUFFERING! MY FEET OFTEN FEEL LIKE ALL THE LITTLE BONES ARE BROKEN--THAT IS THE BEST WAY I CAN DESCRIBE IT. I WAS STILL WORKING WHEN MINE STARTED, AND IT WAS AWFUL!!! I ATTRIBUTE IT TO FIBRO, SINCE I HAVE BEEN TO A HIGHLY RESPECTED PEDIATRIST AND HE FOUND NOTHING. AFTER MY 10 MINUTE DRIVE HOME FROM WORK, I COULD BARELY MAKE IT INTO THE HOUSE, MY FEET WERE SO PAINFUL. I DO TAKE A B COMPLEX, AND A DAILY VITAMIN--SIMILAR TO CENTRUM SIVER-- AND HAVE NOTICED SOME EASE IN THE PAIN, BUT THERE ARE STILL SOME VERY PAINFUL TIMES. I ALSO FOUND 'MALIC RELIEF' BY BIOCHEM, IT IS A MALIC ACID AND MAGNESIUM COMBO AND IT CUTS MY DAILY PAIN NEARLY IN HALF, ABOUT 75% OF THE TIME.
    SO, JUST ANOTHER WONDERFUL FIBRO PAIN TO DEAL WITH I'M AFFRAID! KEEP YOUR CHIN UP AND DO WHAT YOU CAN. AND REMEMBER, 'IF GOD TAKES YOU TO IT, HE WILL GET YOUR THRU IT'!
    TINYSMOM
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

See my post above.

You've noticed some relief from it, but there's a good chance of total relief. B complexes and multis contain pantothenic acid, but not near enough for our special needs. There are quite a few on here that have gotten relief w/ pantothenic acid like me, some should be dropping in to let you all know.

Btw, Centrum is an artificial form of vitamin, not as effective as natural source vitamins by far.

Jeanne
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

and I've probably already recommended this - B5, Pantothenic Acid.

I was advised to take this by Jeanne (editing this because I see Jeanne has already answered) months ago and at that time I was thinking I would have to get an electric wheelchair to get around, my feet were so painful I could hardly stand on them. I have had CFS/Fibro for 20 years and my feet NEVER hurt til March last year when I got Mumps.

I still have to take a stick when I get the chance to go out but I am no longer thinking of an electric wheelchair.

Now, although still sore, I can walk around and the pain isnt so extreme. It takes a little while to work and if you're taking other Bsupplements then you should take them all at the same time.

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/25/2006]
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Thank you for your empathy and helpful advice. I am going to add the B vits to my diet. I am a vegetarian (but am trying to add fish) so could have some deficiency. I'll give it my best shot.

It seems this is a common complaint w/ us Fibros. Wish there was some quick fix but then where would the character come from?

Anyway, Thank you.

Sofi
  8. cougareyes01

cougareyes01 New Member

Does anyone have problems finding shoes that don't hurt their feet? It's bad enough with the foot pain.Then you try to find a pair of shoes in the winter time that won't hurt your feet,almost impossible. I did try on a pair of Ryka's which are made for women by women. They would be great if you could afford them. Any suggestion would be great. Most of the time I have to buy men's for the toe width. Thank you.

Cougar
  9. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Hey! On the shoe problem I have searched high and low. I only have 2 pairs that I can wear. One is by Merrell - very soft and flexible but still supportive. The other is my second fav, 1803 - made by the partner who started Ecco. Ecco can also be good. None of them are beautiful but I've given up on that. Have to make up for it elsewhere.

Hope this helps. As you can still I'm still struggling with it.

Sofi
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

and couldn't find myself sensible shoes. I was getting ready to get expensive orthopaedics, but then the problem seemed to resolve. Turned out it was the B5 I started for another reason.

Not sure if it's an international company or not,, but Naturalizer sells very comfy shoes/boots/sandals in attractive styles.

Jeanne
  11. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Hi,
    I glad to see there another vegetarian here.
    Adding extra B's will definatly help.
    Iwas wondering how you do with getting enough protein and cutting back on simple carbs?
    I eat good, but I always crave sugar.
    I'm treating myself for yeast and I also have hypoglycemia.
    Ineed to lose about 10lbs.
    Just curious about what you do, if you don't mind me asking.:)
    Claudia
  12. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Yes, it is a challenge to do the candida thing on a veg diet but I'm slowly working it out. As for protein I am eating cottage cheese, plain yogurt, and almonds. I also use meat alternatives occasionally.

Also, the key to protein is combining the correct amino acids to create a complete protein. That can be done by combining legumes and whole grains or by combining a complete protein(like egg white, cheese, milk, cottage cheese) with a grain or legume making more complete protien. Example: cereal and milk, burrito (beans and tortilla). I hope that makes sense.

If you are a vegan vegetarian then of course you would be using nuts, soy products, and the grain and legume combos. I am lacto-ovo so protien isn't too challenging. Although, I think I have some sx of deficiency - don't know if it's an absorption issue or just that I haven't included enough in my diet.

I have been using a good book to help guide my candida treatment. It includes vegetarian recipes. It's called, Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook (revised 2nd edition) by Jeanne Marie Martin. I have a degree in nutrition and, so far, the book seems to be fairly accurate.

Hope I was helpful. Good to know I'm not alone in the veg world.

Sofi

13. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I eat pretty much the same way.
    I try to stay away from dairy, it causes me problems.
    I also use meat subsitutes.
    I have been a veggie for about 15 years.
    I'm always happy to meet another one, cause I don't very often.:)
    Thanks for the info.
    P.S. Do you get sugar cravings?
    I get them bad, I guess maybe I need protien when I feel that way.
    Claudia
  14. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I do get sugar and chocolate cravings. But I have noticed that they have diminished quite a bit since I've stopped eating sugar. I even just went through a period without chocolate which is unheard of. I have often told my husband I crave chocolate almost like it's a medicine. Like I need it. Carbs too.

Lately, I only eat complex carbs. It has made a pretty big difference in my energy. I've had trouble cutting out the caffiene so I'm easing that one in. I only have one cup a day.

I've been taking little bags of almonds, carrots and water with me when I leave the house to get me through. It has kept me from hitting that crash state that I know so well.

I don't know about you but I definitely sugar crash. Even before I discovered the candida issue I knew I couldn't have concentrated simple sugars like in soft drinks, juice, desserts, ets. They almost make me feel sick like a diabetic would feel. When the hypoglycemia sets in I'm done for. Can hardly think enough to eat. Does this sound familiar?

The change has been very positive for my stamina (not that I have the energy of others - I'm just not dead to the world by 2 in the afternoon). It's hasn't helped my pain at all but I guess, I didn't expect it to. I think some of the supplementing, sleep treatment, and others will eventually help with that. We'll see.

Have you had any success with pain relief via natural methods?

Sorry so long - thanks for the conversation.

Sofi
  15. Musica

Musica New Member

was, I think, my first problems with RA. On my first visit to a rheumy, he found some ankle swelling, but I never had a lot of swelling. However, even with the RA under control, I have had feet pain. It could be FM, as well. For your peace of mind, and to take care of RA right away if it is that, you might want to be evaluated by a rheumy.

New Balance are good tennies if you have feet pain, especially if you have hard widths to fit because they come in so many different widths.
  16. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I definately am done with my day between 1 and 2. I have problems with hypoglycemia, I guess that is why I crave the sugar.
    Nut's are something I need to start eating again. I just am trying to lose about 10lbs., and even though they have good fat, I tend to overeat them.:)
    as far as natural pain killers, I use to use some, but my pain level is to the point now that I need pres. type.
    Thanks for talking with me.:)
    Claudia
  17. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

If it helps, I have recently found that I have a much easier time losing wt when I focus on managing my blood sugar than when I focus on cal. Calories are still important but you can eat slightly more cal when your diet is high in fiber and balanced with fat and protein.

Besides when you have more energy you burn more cal. Everything works more efficiently inside. give it a try for a week or so and see what happens.

You can prepackage your nuts so you don't over eat them. Also, stay away from peanuts in this plan - they are highly allergenic and are actually quite different from other nuts. Almonds are very good.

I've also added some whey protien. I mix it with a small thing of oganic applesauce and I add the powders of bovine cholostrum and lactobasillus (probiotics). My dr actually directed me to do this.

Take care.

Sofi
  18. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Eating to balance blood sugar difantely helps me.
    My problem is I can only walk about 15min. a day.
    Plus I believe muscle relaxers slow down metabolism. If your heart rate is slowed everything is slowed down:)
    I only eat almonds, peanuts tend to have mold.
    I do try to stick with severing sizes ( even pre-pacaged) but still cheat:)
    Thanks for the advice.:)
    Claudia
  19. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Meds make a bid differenc. When I was on Zoloft and birth controll I gained a lot of wt depsite all my efforts.

And I hear you on the limited exercise issue. Right now exercise of any kind only exasperate my sx so I am not walking either. I'm hoping to work exercise back in eventually - baby steps. It does make wt control more difficult.

I think we have to accept our less-than desirable wt at times because it is not all our fault. Feel good or look good - Most people don't have to make that choice.

TC
    Sofi
  20. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

You are right, I need not to be so hard on myself and do the best I can with what I got!:)
    Take care, Claudia
    P.S. I hope your feet feel better.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2006]