Help! My fingernails are peeling away

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Jun 30, 2003.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

I have the ridged fingers of someone with FM, and now they are getting broken and peeling away. Is there anything that I can do? I look like a nervous Nelly with my fingernails down to the quick in places. Is there anything that will help this?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I have the same problem. I am sure that there are some good supplements for this, probably Vitamin E. I am not sure about other ones. There are some great products that you can pick up at any drugstore for building weak nails. You can try keeping a nail strengthener polish on. Also, eating Jello is really good for strong nails. I just keep my nails polished all the time, and that seems to help me. Time for a manicure!! It's fun and relaxing to do them too!! Good luck!

Kathryn
  3. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

This is a thiamine (B1) deficency symptom.
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

toenails peel a little now too.

been told so many things.

It's zinc defic. too much sugar. candida. and now what was it? B-6 or B-12 deficiency?

It's a mystery to me.

Egg person - I'll keep the egg story in mind, but god help your cholesterol!! Sorry to hear you couldn't afford better sources of protein, are you better off now?

Jen
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I had the same problem. Then I found out that I was allergic to something in nail polish and all of the "nail strengtheners" too.

After stopping with polish, etc., I bought some of Wal-Mart's brand of Gelatin capsules and take them twice a day. They're cheap and they have really helped my peeling and splittig nails!
  6. klarry

klarry New Member

These are wonderful tips. It's true that I eat fewer eggs now than I used to, cholesterol being the reason. One of my doctors said that the condition was genetic, but I really think there's an FM connection. I've tried the nail strenghteners, but they really don't help as far as I can see. Jello sounds like an easy thing to try. Do you ear Jello, or the unflavored Knox gelatin?
    By the way the ridges I refer to are on the nail, vertically going down to the nail bed. They can become so great that they snag my stockings. I usually try to run an emery board over my nails to smooth them.
  7. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I slice carrots & put them in water & in the fridge for a day. Then I can use the carrots & soak my nails a few times a day for a couple of days. I only have to do it every 4 or 5 months and they stay strong with very few ridges now. Hope this helps you.

Lisa
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

This is a symptom of hypothyroidism, which affects most of us with Fibro. Get it checked out with a free T3 blood test.
    My nails were breaking and peeling for 17 yrs., ever since I got Fibro. Before fibro they had been so naturally long and hard that I got constant compliments on them.
    Now after only 7 weeks on Armour Thyroid at the lowest dose, I have my beautiful nails back.
    Klutzo
  9. pearls

pearls New Member

Dr. Starlanyl discusses this in her "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain." She says this can happen for a number of reasons, any of which happen because in times like that, the body is under stress. When that happens, the body cuts back on the nutrients that go to the nail area (and hair, too), and send them, instead, to the "important" parts of your body.

I read somewhere else recently (I think it was an advertisement by Prevention magazine), that if you want to use the gelatin treatment, you must buy a product by Knox for the strengthening of nails, not flavored genatin. I can't remember the name of the product more specifically than "Knox," and the description I've given here.

It does make sense to me that the various treatments described by others in this thread work, because most of them have to do with increasing nutrients in general, or specifically nutrients that get to the nails.

-Pearl