Help my house is a mess!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rachelfox, Feb 13, 2010.

1. rachelfox

rachelfox New Member

I am renting a small home and recently the home has been put up for sale. My problem is
    that my house is a mess. Last year I suffered anemia really bad on top of my fibro, so my
    house work lacked. I have been trying to get my house organized and I need to be done
    by Monday. They already gave me 2 weeks and I am not done. The realtor is coming over
    Monday to take pictures so they can start showing the house. What am I going to do? A lady at church said she would come and help me, but I really don't want her to see the house.
    I thought about trying to get some help when my income tax check comes, but what about
  2. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

My house is in a perpetual state of messiness, too. I wish I could help you clean your house; it must be awful to be under a time constraint! Too bad the realtor doesn't offer to help! I wonder if you could recruit more help from your church family.

I always feel like I should clean the house before I let anyone come to help me clean the house! I am so embarrassed by it!

3. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

the lady at church is what you need at this time before Monday when the realtor shows up to take pictures.

Good you have someone to offer to help you in this short time.
    You'll feel much better when all is done, take the offer of a helping hand.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Even though you don't want the lady at church to see your house in the mess that it is in, you will just have to swallow your pride, let her come and help you, and don't worry about it.

Nobody wants others to see their homes messy, but sometimes we just can't help it.

Call the lady and take her up on her offer, and preface it with "now are you up to a big job? because my house is a real mess! that's why I need some help!!"

In fact, it would be nice if she brought along a couple other ladies to help the both of you!

When the realtor comes on Monday to take pictures, and if it's not cleaned to her perfection, then simply ask her if she would like to help you clean, because you are having a big problem getting it cleaned because of your health problems.

Then, the realtor and the home owner can come and help clean it to their standards.

Good luck on getting it cleaned, as well as finding and moving into another rental house.
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Maybe you could talk to the homeowner and each pay half of the bill for hiring a cleaning service to come in. It seems worth a try to ask them. It would save your health. GB66

[This Message was Edited on 02/13/2010]
  6. momof27

momof27 New Member

if you lived in east texas my family would come and have it done in a couple of days/ I will pray for you and ask GOD to send you help. MOM of 27
  7. rachelfox

rachelfox New Member

I guess I should not have mentioned the lady at church. She can not come today to help.
    When I said my house was a mess, it is really a mess. More like upside down!! I do believe in
    miracles, maybe they will postpone Monday.
    Thank you,
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

For pictures they just want to see no clutter, cleaned 'appearance', vacuumed etc. you have a garage? I'd get some big plastic tubs, boxes whatever and put stuff in there.
    Just clean off counters etc. Make the 'appearance' look spotless - but you can hide things til you can really get to them to clean. Hide dirty dishes in a dishwasher, oven whatever if you have to. Clothes etc. misc things under your bed., Put papers etc. in a big envelope to go through at a later date. Carry a big Hefty bag with you and toss out any trash along the way.

Run a dust rag over the surfaces of things and if you can't run the vacuum, ask the realtor to help you quickly. Just tell her you've been ill. You've been trying your best, but there's only so much you can do. If you show her how much you've tried, by having cleaned off kitchen/bathroom counters, I'm sure she'd be happy to help you with any last minute things. A good realtor would realize that it only benefits them. She may however be bringing a photographer - some realtors don't take their own pics. I might ask about that - she might be on a time constraint because of that. Can you confirm the time maybe, then ask that question?

The pics are what she is going to put on brochures, online, so it is important, but they are not going to be opening drawers etc at this point. - at least not tomorrow.

You can get creative at hiding things - just make sure you remember where you put important things (paperwork etc.) Put those in a dresser drawer or something.

When do they want to start showing the house? I'd rally any help you can get. I know it's embarassing, but it needs to be done and you don't need the stress of it all.

Easier said than done, but TRY not to stress too much. Start one room at a time. I'm a pile person, meaning when I clean, I end up with a pile of "this goes somewhere else" sometimes, I don't know where or it goes multiple places. Those piles are much more managable than looking at a whole big room or house.

My house used to be spotless. It isn't anymore and it bothers me greatly, but I just can't keep up. CANNOT.
    Good luck Rachel - you'll get done what you can get done! =)
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Will you have to move? Do you have a lease?

I wasn't sure if they were trying to sell it as investment property or if the new potential owners were wanting to live there.

10. onset1990

onset1990 Member

when we were selling our house and (i have CFS) i literally shoved EVERYTHING into closets and drawers, had nothing left out. That way i could dust and shine surfaces and i was done.

we had to hope no one would look in closets, cupboards, drawers.

i had my husband do the floors
  11. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Are there any teenagers in the neighborhood or in your family that would be interested in making some cash? Try contacting a church, sometimes they have youth groups looking for a project.

Also, try a Catholic School. My daughter goes to one. They have to do so many "service hours" a semester. Perhaps they have a group of reliable kids who would be willing to do their "service hours" at your home!