HELP! NEED ADVICE.... What can I take for pain relief?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CockatooMom, Jun 24, 2008.

1. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I am looking for suggestions on what else to try to get some relief from this PAIN. My doctor asked me what I want to try and I don't know what to tell her anymore. I've had this DD for over 12 years.

I am allergic to codeine and cannot take vicodin,or oxycontin. The fentanyl patch makes me sick too.

I just tried Ultram ER 100 mg, then 200mg, then 300mg (max dose) with NO RELIEF.

I am curious about lyrica, but am scared to death of the weight gain side effect and cost. I have no insurance.

Someone said maybe I should try a combo of meds, like klonopin and something else. I wonder if I should start taking my xanax through out the day?

PLEASE tell me what you all think. I know everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another person. I am at my wits end. I don't know what to do anymore.

I am already on anti-depressants and muscle relaxers that work well for me.

I was also just Dx'd with arthritis and DDD in my back a few weeks ago. I stretch and walk for exercise, but it's becoming more difficult.

All replies are appreciated!!

Thank you & Hugz,

[This Message was Edited on 06/24/2008]
  2. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Hello, C-mom!

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for you. I tried Lyrica and different anti-depressants, but they didn't help me at all.

The only thing that helps me are meds that you can't tolerate - Oxycontin and oxycodone.

I also try to exercise and stretch a little every day... Some days I am in too much pain to stretch and exercise, though.

If I stay away from sugar, sodas, etc., and if I eat right, I tend to do at least some better.

I'll pray that you'll find something that helps!

3. JohnThreeSixteen

JohnThreeSixteen New Member

Hmmmm, that's a tough one! Do NSAIDS help at all? Maybe Mobic will help...if it doesn't upset your stomach.

Or muscle relaxants? Like Flexeril?

Do you have a hot tub? A hot bath is sometimes all I need...or it at least helps.
  4. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I just editied my post to read that I am on muscle relaxers and antidepressants.

John~Flexeril doesn’t help, But I am on Zanaflex and I love it!

Unfortunately, Mobic doesn’t do anything for me either. NSAIDS can take the edge off the pain, but I need something to help me “function better.”

I do have a large round tub and soak in it often to help with the pain. Even a hot shower in the morning helps my flexibility.

Debbie~ That’s a good idea about cutting out sugar, but that means no coffee for me. I can’t stand coffee with any kind of artificial sweetner. I can relate to the stretching and exercise thing. I HAVE to stretch daily even though it hurts sometimes.

Thank you!
  5. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Have you tried Darvocet? It has been a big help to me.

6. JohnThreeSixteen

JohnThreeSixteen New Member

I read somewhere on here about a natural sweetener plant that is found in South America. It starts with an "s" but I just ordered it and forget the name.

Edited to say: it's called Stevia.[This Message was Edited on 06/24/2008]
  7. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Hi Cookie ~ No I haven't used that for a long time...maybe I should give it a whirl. Thanks!
  8. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Hi John316,

I have heard of that too. I use "sugar in the raw" right now, but have always wanted to try the stevia. Maybe now is a good time! Thanks!
  9. mompain

mompain Guest

I too have struggled for a LONG time with pain issues. I have been taking Hydrocodone - as needed, Xazaflex - 4mg at night, aand 50 mg Lyrica at night. Like you, this was not controlling my pain. I was having to take between 3 and 8 Hydrocodone's a day and that was too many.

After starting with a new pain doctor last week; the one that my Sjogren's and Fibromyalgia doctor referred me to; I am a different person. I have numerous health issues: 2 Cervical disk surgeries, degenerative disk disease, Sjogren's Syndrome, POTS, Raynauds, Syndrome, Thyroid problems, and a few more too numerous to list. My new doctor started me on 50 mg Lyrica 3 x daily and 5 mg Methadone - 3 x daily. I did not like the idea of the Methadone, but it has reduced my pain 99 to 100%. It is unbelievable. I also do not feel sick, tired, or affected in any way. My doc will reevaluate me in 2 weeks to see how I am functioning, but right now it is WONDERFUL!

You may want to look for a pain doc that will put you on a pain program like mine has. He wants me to live, but not hurt and be unable to function while I do. It is great now. Wish me continued luck and I wish the best for you.
  10. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been taking Lyrica for over 2 years. It helps me with my nerve pain. I have not gained any weight from Lyrica.

Lyrica doesn't work like a narcotic though it's something that gets into your system and works on a baseline level.

I am sorry to hear you can't use most pain relievers...I don't really have many other suggestions for you since I use Oxycontin and Vicodin for my major pain...I use an anti-nauseant with these sometimes.
  11. simonedb

simonedb Member

darvon has worked well for me for years, I am chemically sensitive and it is one of the few meds I can tolerate and not build up much of a tolerance to either.
    Its easier on body than a lot of new drugs because not complicated for body to break down. I think its under rated, but the co. can't make money off of it anymore because its so old, thats why they discredit the old meds and push the new ones.
  12. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

And I think a lot of my FM is nerve pain, I also take Percocet.
  13. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Jamie~ I wish tylenol & ibuprofen worked for me. I take 800mg of ibuprofen and it doesn't even take the edge off. Thank for replying!

Mompain~I've never tried methadone. I'm SO GLAD you are getting relief! I DO wish you continued good results! Maybe I will ask my doctor about referring me to a pain doctor. Thanks!

dragon06~ Wow, you are the first person I've read about that hasn't gained weight from lyrica. I hope it continues to work for you.

simonedb~Yes, I've noticed that they push newer meds also. I'm like you and believe some of the old meds are just as good.

msbsgblue~I've never tried neurontin either. I don't know that I have nerve pain, but I may from the disc problems in my back. Another idea appreciated!

Thank you all again for replying!

14. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

at home today on her day off...I am so blessed to have a doc like her.

We are going to try darvocet and klonopin for a while. If that doesn't help, she said she has samples of lyrica I can try, since it's so expensive.

Thank you all again for your feedback. It was helpful. I've tried so many things over the past 12 years, but can't remember a lot of the meds I have taken.

15. simonedb

simonedb Member

when you get the tablets you can break it in half and start with lower dose to see how react and also save money on meds. always best to start with lowest dose that works.
    The negative with darovcet for me was the tylenol; I read a study that said there is a lifetime maximum safe exposure to tylenol and I surpassed that and didnt want to worsen my chances for eventual kidney disease so switched to darvon,has no tylenol, but unfortunately comes in capsules and you can't break it in half. with capsules one could buy gelcaps and split them into two capsules etc. A hassle but worth it if don't need larger dose.

good luck
  16. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I took a whole tablet because of the amount of pain I am in, but I agree it is always best to take as low a dose as you can.

I am familiar with the tylenol toxicity. But, I didn't realize there was a lifetime max exposure. I will look into that and keep darvon in the back of my wee brain.

Thanks for the info!
  17. Honora88

Honora88 Member

I found tong ren works really well. it's free. I know 3 people who were "cured" from this. It'su don't very popular in MA and there are more Tong ren practioners than accupuncturists.

You can go on you tube to check it out.

If you don't beliechve in this you can try Chil gong. It's the same philosphy. It unblocks the energy blocks that cause pain and illness. Both modalities are much more powerful than acupuncture in my opinion. Acupuncture cannot unblock huge muscle blockages.

Another thing to try is EFT but I think it works better for emotion although some people swear by it. They have free how to videos all over youtube. I did it today for depression and procrastination.