HELP NEED ANSWERS ON NEURONTON

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sharon5650, Sep 15, 2003.

1. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

IS IT OK TO TAKE NEURONTON ONLY WHEN YOU CAN NOT TAKE THE PAIN ANYMORE, AS MY PSYCHIATRIST PRESCRIBED IT FOR PAIN AND SLEEP, HOWEVER IT SAYS 300MG. 3 TIMES A DAY. I ALSO TAKE 50MG. TOPOMAX 2 TIMES A DAY, AND 1000MG., OF TRYPTOPHAN AT NIGHT, ALSO I HEARD THAT NEURONTON IS AN ANTI-PHYCOTIC DRUG AND IT ALSO MAKES YOU GAIN WEIGHT. SOME PEOPLE SAY YES AND SOME SAY NO. THEN I HEARD TOPOMAX MAKES YOU LOSE, WELL I HAVE GAINED FROM THE LACK OF EXCERCISE I CAN NOT WALK THE WAY I USED TO, MY LEGS BECOME LIKE JELLY. ALL THESE DRUGS GET TO ME, BUT I DID ONE TIME STOP TRYPTOPHAN JUST TO SEE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN AND I WAS RUSHED BY AMBULANCE TO EMERGANCY, I COULD NOT WALK, I WAS VOMITING , AND THE PAIN THROUGHOUT BY BODY WAS INSANE. I WAS ON GRAVOL AND MORPHINE FOR 24HRS. WILL NOT TRY THAT AGAIN. PLEASE SOMEONE LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE NEURONTON I AM SCARED OF IT,
  2. iwashere

iwashere New Member

I am also on neuronton and I take the same dosage as you..I also worry about this medication I was told it is for seizures of the muscles and to make me get into a deeper sleep..My Rhumy told me not to stop taking the meds. without her approval...it can cause many problems if discontinued without a dr. care...I would not stop this without an agreement with your doc.
  3. RatLuver

RatLuver New Member

Just a bedtime dose of 300mg made my vision blurry, and I couldn't think straight enough to balance my checkbook. It didn't help my pain, but it did help me sleep better. It's also prescribed for the mania in Bipolar disorder.
    RatLuver
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's in our library. Klonopin and Neurontin are both antiseizure meds. This article does an excellent job of explaining how our constant state of seizure causes anxiety/panic attacks, insomnia, muscle spasms, and other symptoms.

It also explains why it is not wise to quit taking these meds cold turkey. They are not addictive, but we do become physically dependent on them.

Love, Mikie
  5. kjan9

kjan9 New Member

It is prescribed for alot of reasons. It was a new drug when I first started (1997). In 1998 I had a hard time finding a doctor to approve me taking it in such high doses sometimes up to 4000mg daily. It helped my pain greatly, then like most any drug, didn't seem to help much. I'd fell off to way lower doses and eventually weened off. The amount prescribed to me without insurance coverage was over 500 dollars a month. No generic availabe meant I met my 2,000 cap early in the year, so I hopped to different ins. companies. Also I felt uneasy taking this for so long at high doses, worried about long term affects on my body.
    But at the time I started I feel it really helped me, the first 2-3 yrs anyway. Funny, how my body adjusts to meds in this degree. The doc explained to me that my body flushes out meds quick and that's why I needed more. Just don't hold in my system long!
    kjan9