Help; Need Sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Jul 20, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I have had problems sleeping for a long time now but really bad now. I never sleep more than approximately 2-3 hours at the time, then wide awake.

I even tried Ambien last night and only slept 1 hour and up again.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could talk with my Dr. about? He just gave me the ambien the other day but I only got 7 of them filled; didn't want to waste the money.

I really need to start sleeping as close to 8 hours as possible but at this point, not sure I'll ever see that again.

Any suggestions???

Thank you so much,

BlueSky555
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

BlueSky555:

I started on Ambien and called the doc and said it was not working. He started me on heavy Elavil at night for pain and sleep.

As much as I was against it, I did it. And I sleep.

I hope you find your way. If you do not tell doc about it, nothing will happen.

love to you,

nyrofan
  3. butterfly99

butterfly99 New Member

I also take Trazadone 100 mg right before bed I have taken Ambian but doesnt work as well as Trazadone. It really keeps me asleep no more awake every 2 hrs. also I have found that waring a sleep mask keeps my eyes from opening in the middle of the night helps keep me asleep. never realized how often my eyes opened. Make sure u cant see through it when u buy it and make sure there is a little piece of extra material at the bottom so no light gets in under the bottom. Hope not to confusing. Try Lavander oil on your pillow or have a lavender candle burning in you room a few hrs before bed and make some warm chamomile tea relaxes nicely. keep lights low and tv low. Before sleep my hearing gets real sensitive so I ware cotton in my ears really helps calm the nerves even during the day sometimes. May your night tonight be more peaceful than last night:)
    Amy
  4. spbm

spbm New Member

I had extremely bad insomnia some years ago - worse than anyone I know. I wouldn't sleep for days at a time. I tried just about everything: Ambien and even benzodiopines. After about a year someone recommended taking an SSRI antidepressant. I was reluctant because I wasn't depressed (or I was, but only due to lack of sleep), but at that point I was willing to try anything. I started on paxil and exactly six weeks later (the amount of time it's supposed to take to kick in) I started sleeping like a baby. I would even take naps during the day. I've since cut back to a very minimal dose because of side effects, but it has really been a Godsend for me.
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

I can sympathize with you. My med. has stopped working for sleep as well and I have tried to switch to just about evertyhing there is and it is just not doing the trick. It is so miserable to stay wide awake all night then be sooooooo tired the next day.

Kriket
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am using Restoril 15 mg and it is great. I sleep through the night and am fine the next day. You can also try to "add" the over the counter sleep aid that is like Benadryl. I take 25 mg.

It is harmless and will also help you to sleep. I take it in addition to the Restoril if I don't get sleepy in a hour.

You could rotate from Restoril to Ambien so you don't have a tolerance. Ask your doctor about it.

Also, Ambien has a new product called Ambien CR that releases more Ambien after several hours to keep you asleep.

The problem with Restoril is tolerance, however I read Restoril has a lower incidence of tolerance. I saw a psych doctor today to discuss meds and she did not want to give me anti-depressants because I am not depressed.

She suggested staying on 15 mg of Restoril and if it stops working, we will add other meds. Not sure which ones...
    [This Message was Edited on 07/20/2006]
  7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hello again,

I want to thank you all for your responses. It's so nice to ask a question here and receive many different responses, which can give many options to try.

I am already on anti-depressant; 20 mgs lexapro and take it around 10 pm or so.

I haven't tried tramadol, restoril nor elavil. I dont think I can take over the counter benadryl due to my thyroiditis, but not sure.

Is elavil an antidepressant also?

I'm going to have to do something; I am to the point of just wanting to actually "jump" out of my skin and that's just not fun all hours of the night. I sometimes get like this during the day but not as much.

Last night was awful; It's kinda like someone or something else has control over my body; geez!!!

Again, thank you all; I'll ask my Dr. about the tramadol and restoril and elavil if it's for sleep.

BlueSky555