HELP!!Need some stage four sleep!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, Jan 23, 2003.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I am so tired and cannot focus on anything!! I have tried the ZMA and it is not helping me. My insurance company will not pay for the Ambien. Isn't there anything else that will help with stage four sleep??? Someone please let me know if anything else has helped them.
    Thanks, Vicky
  2. Lendi

Lendi New Member

My neuro told me to start out trying tylenol pm or benedryl. My PCP put me on ambien, though before I even had a chance to try the other. But, I know that in the past I've used benedryl to help. Good luck. I know how hard it is to function with out good restive sleep. Lendi
  3. judywhit

judywhit New Member

Vicky, I deal with the same thing you are dealing with. How does one function with out sleep? I am finding it impossible! Nothing helps me as far as the natural supplements. Cal/mag keeps me up when others find that this helps with sleep. Melatonin keeps me up too! Vicky, you might just have to bite the bullet and pay for the ambein out of pocket. I got my first script of them filled yesterday. 15 of them for $38.00!!! and this was with insurance. I find that if I can get two nights of sleep in 5 days I can somewhat function. Perhaps you can puchase just a few to break the cycle. Do you know anyone who has insurance that will pay for them? what a drag that sometimes we have to be dishonest! I have done this on occassion with my sister when her ins wont pay for a certain item. Good luck and hope you can get some sleep.
    BTW, the ambein last night put me to sleep in 10mins. What a blessing this was.
  4. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I am embarrassed to say that I have taken up to 3 tylenol pm and 3 benedyrls at a time. Did you have any problems getting your insurance to pay for Ambien?
    Thanks, Vicky
  5. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Judywhit, thanks for the reply. I wish I did have someone who could get the Ambien for me but I cannot think of anyone. I have no family that lives here. I am glad that you have someone to help you though.
    Jellybean, thanks for the info.-WOW. I did not know I was taking so much Benadryl. I will not do that again. That is what I like about this board. I have tried the Elavil but I cannot take it, I am on the couch all day and the side effects never get better for me.
    If anyone knows of anything else, please let me know.
    Thanks, Vicky
  6. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Have you tried it? Or is it another your ins. co won't pay for? I just don't get why they don't pay...it's so irritating! My Rheumy gave the generic kind to me to take before bed but my Neurontin and Mirapex (for RLS) help me go to sleep so I don't really need it to go to sleep...it's the waking up after a few hours that bugs me.
    I'm not sure how to tell if I'm getting stage 4 but when I wake up in the wee hours as I always do I immediately take 1/2 tab of Klonopin & it puts me back to sleep. Some times I do this twice because it only lasts 3-4 hrs. I haven't yet tried any antidepressants and pretty leary about them due to me having so many weird reactions to meds but until I find something better this works for now.
    Good luck on finding a way to get a few badly needed zzz's.
  7. kalynn1

kalynn1 New Member

Have you tried Zanaflex or other muscle relaxors? Zanaflex, a common muscle relaxor prescribed for Fibromyalgia and other things, knocks me out cold. Only problem is it wears off in 4 hours. But on really bad nights, I just take another one in the middle of the night (or a half of one if I have to get up before 4 hours). My Zanaflex is only 2 mg which is the tiniest dose it comes in. I also take Restoril which doesn't work very well at all. Doc doesn't want me to take Ambien all the time because it's so addictive, but he does give it to me for the really bad nights. Since I've been taking Zanaflex, I don't have very many bad nights where I can't sleep at all. Other muscle relaxors like Flexeril and Soma also make me extremely sleepy too. Skelaxin keeps me awake though. There are lots of other prescription drugs that you can try besides Ambien. Can you talk to your doctor about it? By the way, Tylenol PM and anything over the counter do absolutely nothing to help me sleep. What a joke. I guess I am beyond Benadryl. Good Luck and hope you get some serious Z's soon.
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I know how frustrating this problem can be. I also use
    the Klonopin and that works very well for me. Its also
    good for restless legs and leg cramps, cognitive function
    is clearer on this. Also usually, I wake up clear headed not groggy and tired.

I`ve been on the same dosage(.5 mg) for 4 years. I`ve never had to up the dosage to get the same effect.

I hope you find relief soon. Take care.
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

"Alluna" which is a product with Valerian Root and he swears by it. I think Valerian Root and Melatonin work pretty well, but supplements can be kinda costly and can interract with some meds poorly, so beware. Just because they're "natural" doesn't mean they're always safe! Ambien works well for short-term relief but really shouldn't be taken every night. Klonopin is a great med for this AND for RLS and other FMS problems, but it is a narcotic med and some people don't like the idea of that. I liked it myself and felt really good while taking it at first, but it *can* cause depression in some people after long-term use. Elavil DOES help, but has numerous unpleasant effects for many of us. Zanaflex and Soma work as muscle relaxants. I take Soma and love it; I take it every night!!! I still have some nights of interrupted sleep, during which I am in pain often. I wake up in severe pain from lying on my arms and my hands and arms are cold and numb, but I think if not for the pain, I'd sleep through the night with my current meds. I know that Tylenol PM is not the answer for long-term use because the Tylenol can be harmful to your liver and the Benadryl can actually cause some adverse effects as we get older by actually stimulating us instead of sedating us, and it really dries out your mucous membranes which can cause other problems. Not a good thing!
    Good luck! There *are* treatments out there, but you have to make wise choices. Talk to the doctor about sleep deprivation and the way you are feeling. Tell him about the insurance~~mine understands financial problems and works with me in finding a solution.
    Love,
    Kady

[This Message was Edited on 01/23/2003]
  10. imgreat

imgreat New Member

Hi Vicki, Same problem I battle with, for the most part I use Trazadone for sleep. It's an antidepressant used in a smaller dose than is used for depression. It's good for people who can go to sleep,but wake up later! I'm in flair for the last 3 years due to an accident and can't remember feeling really refreshed in the morning! But without the Trazadone I'd be crazy!! Sounds like you've got some good ideas here to consider! Here's to some good rest for you!!
    imgreat and so are u!!
  11. SCARLETT415

SCARLETT415 New Member

Dear Vicky,
    I have been on Klonopin for almost 2 years. I had Restless Legs Syndrome for several years and heard about Klonopin on one of the morning news shows. It was like a miracle when I tried it. I would get the restless legs mostly toward evening or if traveling in car for any distance. Seems my jumpy legs were not letting my body relax enough to get into a deep sleep. I have never tried Ambien but don't understand why insurance won't cover it. I hope your Dr. will agree to try the Klonopin for you. My dose is 1mg. and I sleep like a baby (after15 years of NOT) Trouble is I snore REALLY loud. Even my grandkids complain!!!! If I get too loud, my hubby just goes into the guest room. He knows how long I went without sleep. God love him!!! I am new to this board so haven't read posts too long, but can't recall any bad reactions to Klonopin. I might have felt a little hung over in the morning at first but don't remember it. Hope this helps.
    Sincerely,
    Annette3
  12. karen55

karen55 New Member

of Zanaflex and Elavil works great for me.
  13. ambria

ambria New Member

I have been fighting the "sleep thing" for two years now. If I don't take the medicine my legs hurt, my elbows hurt, I gring my teeth, and I can't stay asleep. I take the lowest dosage of Klonopin or generic Clonazepam (5mg) cut in HALF!, and I also take Pamelor or generic Nortiptyline (10 mg). With the meds I find I have such trouble waking up!! I am sleeping 9-10 hours a night--what a waste of my life!! I have tried taking one without the other to see if I can sleep, but it doesn't work. I have also tried other meds.

I manage the pain and fatigue with consistent exercise like walking and lifting weights. that helps tremendously!! I just wish I could sleep without the meds, I feel like I have to choose between NO sleep or sleeping my life away.

Kathryn
  14. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Last night I took 300mgs of Neurotin and one benadryl. It still took me awhile to go to sleep even though I took the medicine an hour before bedtime. I feel a little better today. I will try 400mgs of Neurotin tonight without the benadryl to see if that helps any. Thanks for replys.
    Sincerely, Vicky
  15. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I took 200mg. of Neurontin last night and it worked great for me. Will try it again tonight and slowly work up to 300mg. Benadryl had the opposite effect on me, makes me hyper. I'll write you later.

~LISA
  16. Pinky

Pinky New Member

After over 2 years of fighting the sleep problem, exhaustion and fatigue i have FINALLY found the regime that works for me! I take 50mg Ultram for pain at 8:00, then about 9:30 I take ZMA and have a cup of Sleepytime Tea. Then right before bedtime I take Ambien 10mg and Klonopin .5mg! It works wonders for me! If I wake up in the middle of the night I can take another half to one ambien and it keeps me asleep until 6:30a.m.
    Debbie