Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cromwell, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yesterday we had to take Danny for a rush blood test. He has an aversion to needles and also is autistic and they were not really "on the ball".

They could not find a stick point, but after leaving the tourniquet on too long really they did and got the blood.

During the time they were drawing and maybe a little before, Danny went grey and lost all the color in his lips, his body went stone cold, even though he had had a raging fever minutes prior. He did not faint but lost his hearing somewhat. We made them get a doctor who finally laid him down and checked BP which was very low. Then ten minutes later his color came back, he was still rather cold but BP normal.

We repeorted this back to his own doctor as we had to take him back there after blood test, and he seemed unconcerned. Did not check him over even though he is usually very vigilent, he said, we just have to watch him in future and have all blood draws lying down.

QUESTION: I got scared in the night that he could have had some heart problem as he was so ashen and cold, and this morning I was considering taking him over to convenient care for a heart monitor. He looks and feels OK this morning as his fever seems to have passed too.

Dan says I am going into overdrive, and to leave things be, that I should just ask here if people do loose all their color and go cold when they faint. Any replies are welcomed.

Love Annie C
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

My almost 26 yr old son still can't have blood drawn without almost passing out unless they do it with him laying down.

It's been a few years since I saw him go through this, but he did turn white as a sheet, and almost pass out.

I almost agree with Dan but for one're Danny's Mom and I always say to follow your instincts. Women just know these things, so go with your gut on this one.

I wish I could help more...

Nancy B
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Sorry that both Danny and you were put through this yester
    day. When they do my "labotomy" my blood pressure is
    constantlybeing monitored on the Machine thru the whole
    process! How much blood did they take? Was it just a
    few vials? His aversion to needles is more normal than
    not! I don't like the blood draw thingy either and have
    to psych. myself up for it. One can turn pale and have a
    drop in pressure and even faint as an "escape" mech. from
    the reality of an perceived "unpleasant or painful" sit-
    uation. A small amt of blood being drawn shouldn't of in
    itself cause a problem. Our RN friends on the Board will
    add more knowlegable info. Linda would know I'm sure!

Huggles to Danny 4-me!!

4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

what a fright and you must be so worried.

My son, 25, feints when giving blood and yes, he goes ashen pale and cold.

He now knows that in future he will have to be lying down.

It's scary to see someone go like that but if you're still worried you really should follow it up.

5. findmind

findmind New Member

Oh, annie, you must have been so frightened!

I used to manage a med clinic and you would not believe how many people this happened to! A fear of needles seems to trigger it easily, especially in men. We women get so many "invasive" procedures in our lives, so a little needle prick doesn't usually bother us, but the guys! oh my, one man weighed almost 400 lbs and he fell of the chair onto the floor in a dead faint. it took 3 nurses and 2 big doctors to get him up again!

If he seems alright now, I wouldn't worry too much, with the fever he was already probably sick feeling, and the blood draw was just the last straw.

Hope you are both stronger feeling and over all that stressful anxiety by now...

Hugs to both,
    p.s. (Edit) Yes, I have gone ghost-white and ice cold when having blood drawn, with BP 90/40s! think have low blood volume to begin with, that's why my every-nite snack is pretzels![This Message was Edited on 03/24/2007]
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hope Danny is ok.

7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

it's very scary!

But, at the lab where I go for blood tests they always ask if you're a fainter. Always! There must be a lot of fainters out there. And, as someone (sorry!) already said, he was already feeling pretty crummy.

Doesn't sound like you should worry too much but that's so much more easily said that done.

Peace out,
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

He is doing fine and recovering from his viral thing he got on top of the nasty infection behind the eye. The thing is they are meant to ask if someone is anxious and have them lie down. I kept on telling them he was 1) autistic 2) had a total phobia re needles and 3) remove the tourniquet and start again when they could not find sa spot. I also will next time suggest they use a heat pad to bring up the vessel.

Thank you all.

Love Annie C
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i passed out cold, turned blue or purple, i tired to yelp for help but the exhb to-be was too busy playing the video game on the computer...also playing the field...i ended up ine e.r. long story stress is not good for me...

good luck w/danny

10. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Glad that Danny getting better.
    Turning pale and cool is very consistent with fainting.
    I wasn't actually there so difficult to judge what happened. I do know that listening to the patient very important. And, of course, one needs to watch out for self in modern medicine!

I've had patients turn pale and feel faint, but the only person that actually fainted was the boyfriend of a girl having her blood drawn. Fell right over. Ever since then I've paid special attention to anyone accompanying the patient.

By the way, if someone misses getting blood twice, then probably best to ask if someone else available for drawing. The blood drawer can be bit nervous after two misses.

The heating pad can help, esp. for finger sticks.. Blood pressure cuffs instead of rubber tourniquet can be helpful. For a certain types of patients there is even a "veinfinder".....a bright light that penetrates the skin and makes veins visible. A lot of variation in people's veins, and techniques of blood drawers......well I guess enough said for now. mr Bill
    [This Message was Edited on 03/25/2007]
  11. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

He'ss 11 and is terrified of Dr stuff. After having his blood drawn, we were walking down the hall, he was pale and clammy. He said he didn't feel good, so I sat him down in a chair and boom, he fell over onto me and passed out cold.

Security guard called a 911 and everyone came running. Poor little guy. Scared me too. Then a few months later when we needed to test him again, we couldn't even get him in the building he was so scared! Never did get those labs done.
  12. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm sorry that I don't have any experience with a result like you got.

I am thankful that Danny is OK now.

Maybe you might want to mention this to his primary care doc on your next visit to him/her.

I really hate that you son had to go through this yesterday.

13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Again. Sorry I am late getting back to some of you. I am sick all week with a virus. Danny is doing OK now. Love Annie