Help! New Carpet smell; making me sick! Need advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DoveL, Feb 18, 2009.

1. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hello all!

I have CFS, and FMS for almost 8 years now. I used to have Multiple Chemical Sensativities really bad about 5 years ago(that is gone)

Anyway, I just got new carpet in my apt. last week (burber carpet). I had debated over it for a while, knowing that new carpet smells toxic. But after my boyfriend got his entire house carpeted last year, and it did not smell at all or make me sick, so I opted to get new carpet in my place. I live in an upstairs apt, so I did not want to just have wood floors, as it is noisy- you can hear everything and it is cold. I am wondering if I should have went with bamboo flooring (would it have that stopped the noise and kept it warm?), but I am on a budget , $$$ as well.

Anyway, the smell is making me dizzy and giving me asthma like symptoms. What can I do to get this smell moving out of here quick?! I just put down baking soda today.

I hope this was not an expensive mistake that I just made (including my priceless health!), and don't have to rip this up! I feel like crying!

Any advice would be appreciated on how to get this smell out!!

thank you!

Dove L

LISALOO New Member

We moved into a new condo with new carpet. I had my mom bring her carpet cleaner and instead of using the bad chemical cleaner (that would just make it worse), she got a bottle of antiallergian, hypoallergenic, clean, cleaner. It really did just down on the smell and i noticed the carpet wasn't making me as sick. It took two runs, but it worked.

YOu can rent a carpet cleaner if you don't have one and I think she got the bottle of cleaner from Sears.

Food flooring can be bad too, as some use glue to connect the pieces, so you might not have been better off!

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2009]
  3. Elisa

Elisa Member

Here is what can be done...

First you will need to leave the apt for a week of so.

Turn your heat up to 90 or more and open the windows... This will help outgas the carpet. Aircleaners can help too.

This is what I had to do. It may be the padding - which you can replace with a less smelly padding (and less toxic).

I would go to a MCS site and ask their advice. It's not worth hurting yourself over.

Oh if worse comes to worse - they can take it out and put it in a warehouse until it outgases and then reinstall it.

So sorry this has happened I know how upsetting it can be.

God Bless,

4. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

If your room is'nt too large, you can do the following; Spread kitty litter all over the carpet, stay overnite somewhere, or if you can go into another room w/o the new carpet to sleep, that's good too....Anyway leave overnite & the kitty litter will absorb all the gasses & odors. Then just vacuum up. My dd has chemical sens. & used this method on her new carpeting a few yrs. back..Worked well...

Another person I know used baking soda, that didn't work as well, but did bring down the smell some.

I'm sensitive to that glue smell also. If I'm in a closed room w/new carpeting I have to leave. I have all wood floors, & we used a non smell glue when we installed the flooring ourselves. And yes, it was a huuuuuuuuge job for two people in their mid 50's at the happy we did it that way....

Good luck w/which ever way you go...
  5. DoveL

DoveL Member

Thank you everyone for all of your replys and help! It is greatly appreciated.

I am trying one method as suggested at a time. The baking soda seems to have helped the smell tremendously, and I left the apt for 1 week with the window cracked open.

My next step will be to use the non-toxic carpet cleaner, then maybe sealer. Only thing is I am not sure that I can use a carpet cleaner, as underneath the rug are wooden floors!

Have a great Non toxic day!

xoxooxo Dove L
  6. panthere

panthere Member

You can also try zeolite I used it on our carpet and it took away the smell fully! Good luck
  7. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

on a room size carpet too? We have hard wood floors in most of our apt, & when we first moved in here 10 yrs ago we bought 2 thin carpets that are about 8x10. These cheapy carpets have seen better days and I want to get a couple more. I'm concerned about the smell too--thought about they could air out outside on the carport for a few days.