Help...New doc app't today...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjfms, Jan 2, 2006.

1. kjfms

kjfms Member

Hi everyone, :)

I have a doctor's appointment today, and I am just not sure how many symptoms to include-I mean he can't spend all day with me-you know? (I wish he could!!!!!!)

I have done great (well, pretty good)the past 3-4 years and now FMS seems to be comming back like gang busters. I am working at a conveince store-have been for the past 6 months. I just can't take it anymore and I do not know what to do about. I have to stand 7-8 hours without a break. My feet are bothering me really bad, headaches (daily), the usual muscle pains, shooting pains in legs, feet, arms, neck, so, so, tired. I either can't sleep or sleep too much. etc......

This is a new doctor and I don't want to scare him off-you know? I am going to a clinic that puts you on a sliding fee and I qualified for it. I haven't any insurance and haven't been seeing any physicians for about 2 years. I am going to sign a release so that they can get my records from when FMS was bad. I am a nervous wreck, I can't just quit working I have to have money to live on. I have missed work the past 2 days due to pain and being tired. I am looking into some work at home sites, but my computer is very old they don't even make it anymore, so for now a lot of the work from home is out of the question.

I am so sorry this is so long, I guess I just looking for some advice and support and you guys seem like you have been though all or most of this. I do not have any insurance and my job is very low paying.

Thanks for reading,

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 01/03/2006]
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

bumping for me :)
  3. Musica

Musica New Member

Good luck at your doctor's appointment! Perhaps you want him to help with the worst symptoms, like the headaches, and something to lessen the general pain, including something to help you sleep. Since you are signing a release, things won't be hidden, but for now - maybe get a feel for him at the first visit, then plan to go back in a couple of weeks. At that time, you can tell him how any meds are working. Plus, you can bring in a written list of the more specific things and how they affect you. You might even keep a daily record to show how things are for you from day to day.

If you wait until next time, it gives you a little more time to prepare what to bring in. And having him read something in writing (which you can mail in so he can read it before he walks in) is quicker than trying to explain it all. And gives you the chance to phrase it how you want. Again, if you let him guide it today, you can get a feel for how he feels about FMS (ASK him something about FMS) and not overwhelm him at a first visit!

Just my thoughts. Let us know how it goes!
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

Thanks for the really good advice, I have a bad habit of being very demanding and pushey (hee, hee). I will try to stick to the main problems and see how he feel about FMS.

Thanks again,

Karen
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Make a list on paper PRIOR to going to your appointment.

Start with the most important thing that you want to talk with him/her about first, then second, and so on. That way, your most important concerns will be addressed first--just in case he/she doesn't have that much time to talk with you.

It is probably not possible when you are working a low-paying job, but when you are standing on your feet all day, the most important thing to have is a good quality, good supporting pair of shoes.

Do you get any type of break at all at work? By law, you should be. If you do, make sure you sit down during that time to rest your feet and legs.

I feel sorry for you having to be on your feet all day long. I worked in an office and could sit down. I would think about the type of jobs like yours, cashiers at grocery stores, etc., that have to be on their feet all day. I know I never could have worked that type of job--my legs have always hurt too badly.

Hope your doc can help you to begin feeling better.

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

Thanks so much for the the replies, I had a pretty good app't. We are going to get the hashimoto's under control and go from there.

There is not federal law that requires an employer to give breaks, states may have their own laws. I have checked this out and in my state if the employee can eat where they work-it is not required by law to give the employee any breaks. I have found that many businesses take advantage of this. Oh, well nothing you can do about it.

Please copy and paste for Federal Labor Law

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm

I am trying to find another job. This is just a job for now-it is not my chosen career. I am studying to take my Medical Coding certification exam. I also have to save the money for this, it is an expensive exam. (sigh)...

I also make sure I wear good show, I have heel and arch support inserts I put in them.

Thanks again,

Karen