Help... new pain/cramp in hand and arm... a little scary

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twjen, Dec 12, 2002.

1. twjen

twjen New Member

Please Help.....
    I got a cramp in my left hand last night that hasnt stopped.
    Usualy if i get this pain it is sudden and caused by certain movement, but it stops when I stop using it. This came on for no apparent reason, and over the course of the night moved up my arm into the back of upper arm. It is sharp hot pain, throbbing, constant cramping. It is a bit scary to me. I dont think Im dying, because Ive gotten used to most things, but this is freaking me out somewhat. Does anyone else ever get this or like it? "They" say that this illnes is not progressive and I say BS! I have gotten worse with this flare than my first one! How much worse can or will it get? Im worried now and want to cry cuz I thought I had gotten used to what I had and knowing what I have to deal with, now something new, will it stay this way? This flare (second full blown) has been worse and come with new/worse symptoms. Can anyone please tell me if this is a fms/cfs pain please. And can I expect that Im going to get worse as time goes on. Thanks tonz for your support, answers, suggestions, advice, etc. Jen
  2. twjen

twjen New Member

Please Help.....
    I got a cramp in my left hand last night that hasnt stopped.
    Usualy if i get this pain it is sudden and caused by certain movement, but it stops when I stop using it. This came on for no apparent reason, and over the course of the night moved up my arm into the back of upper arm. It is sharp hot pain, throbbing, constant cramping. It is a bit scary to me. I dont think Im dying, because Ive gotten used to most things, but this is freaking me out somewhat. Does anyone else ever get this or like it? "They" say that this illnes is not progressive and I say BS! I have gotten worse with this flare than my first one! How much worse can or will it get? Im worried now and want to cry cuz I thought I had gotten used to what I had and knowing what I have to deal with, now something new, will it stay this way? This flare (second full blown) has been worse and come with new/worse symptoms. Can anyone please tell me if this is a fms/cfs pain please. And can I expect that Im going to get worse as time goes on. Thanks tonz for your support, answers, suggestions, advice, etc. Jen
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

well, I certainly agree with you that this dd is definitely progressive. But, regarding your concern over the pain in your left arm, I would think that you should most definitely go to your doctor just to be sure that it isn't something other than the fms/cfs pain. I get chest pains and sharp pains up and down my left arm quite often, at first I was sure I was having a heart attack, but since this has been going on for more than 10-15 years, evidently not.. But, I did go into the doctor's to have it checked out just to be safe. Please call or go into your doctor's so they can make sure and at least that way you won't have to worry or stress out about it either. Good Luck.

Dara
  4. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

It makes me so I cant write. Everytime I write I get that cramp and pain and my arm is swollen between my elbow and wrists but the docs havent touched that subject yet, so I guess thats my next doc visit complaint again. They did an emg on my hand and wrist and it came back normal so that makes me think that it isnt carpel tunnel cause it would of showed up.
  5. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Though I agree with Dara that you should get it checked out.
    It's been a very recent symptom for me (I've never had cramping in my hands before!) and I agree that it is scary.

Having said that, I had it bad for a week or so, then it pretty much went. I would expect the same to happen with you -- it's like this illness keeps probing for new areas of our bodies to attack and weaken.

I'm sure it will pass; in the meantime try the usual heat/cold/hot baths/painkillers/massage therapy to try and alleviate the discomfort. Hope it clears up for you soon!
    --Marcus
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2002]
  6. gracieathome

gracieathome New Member

cramping in my hands and feet were one of my first symptoms. My husband used to call me "the claw". But because it is just your left arm you need to get checked out right away, dont want to scare you but that is a classic symptom of heart attack, especially if acompanied by sweating, pain in jaw, and nausea. But some folks only get one symptom. Please get checked.
  7. amorgan

amorgan New Member

Hi Jen,

I have severe pain in my left hand and foot. I was freaking out because I couldn't even hold my husband's hand. I thought I was getting arthritis and I am only 26! I had been a secretary for 6 yrs. and never had any problems with my hands or arms, now, I haven't worked for over a year and the pain has started! I asked my rheum. and he told me it was the FM. He told me that 50% of FM patients have pain in their hands and feet and that this was considered a sensitive point, but in the 70's it was removed from the sensitive point list because it is so close to mimicking arthritis. I totally know how you feel. He told me to wear a hand brace that is used for tendonitis and rub with Ben Gay. However, the pain is so bad in my feet that Vicodin won't even take it away. Hang in there.