Help! Now we have mice!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Oct 22, 2005.

1. darude

darude New Member

Yup adding to our distress!! CAt was stalking the kitchen and we put out cheese and GONE!!!!! Yuk had them before and cat got rid of them. That was a few years ago now. Anyone else? Any good ideas to get rid of. Can now hear them schrating at night so can't sleep at all now.
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I hate MICE!!! YUCK!!!
    We have been having trouble too.. the cooler weather they want to come in.. My cat is a great mouser but we also get them in the garage in my WASHING MACHINE!!! Yikes!!
    Anyway, I just found these new rodent repellers at Walmart.. You plug them into the wall and they are supposed to emit a high pitched noice that won't bother your other non-rodent animals. I think it was about $15 for two..
    We have only had them for about a week but so far so good!! Good luck.. creepy little critters with their ugly long tails... Ick.. Ick.. Ick!!
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

It's rural where I live, and mice are a problem, especially in my pantry. I keep everything in hard plastic or glass containers that they can't get into, and after awhile they go away, as long as I keep NOTHING out for them to eat.

We used live traps for awhile, until we got a super mouse that chewed through one. I use snap traps, make sure that they are where my dog can't reach, like on a pantry shelf, and they are pretty effective. It's a quick kill. I refuse to use glue traps or other inhumane traps. It's bad enough that I have to kill them, but as someone else said, once they are in the house, it's them or me, and I pay the mortgage!

My little dog is a good mouser, but they are more often up on the shelves where she can't reach. We can't have cats because of allergies.

I used to think mice were cute. Not any more!

BTW, we find that baiting the trap with peanut butter works best.

Good luck, be brave. I know how annoying that gnawing in the walls can be. I've had to get up and pound on the walls to get them to stop!

Peace,
    Beth.
  4. darude

darude New Member

For the tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

we used to live in an old mobile home. The best kind of trap to use is called "The better mouse trap" and it is grey, and you can find it at a feedmill where they make feed for chickens pigs, cattle, etc. The best bait to use in peanutbutter, and if you know where they are coming place the trap against the wall and an angle, as mice travel along walls.
    Hope that helps.
    Raz
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

I don't know how you feel about snakes, but mice will not come around if they smell a snake. If you can get a shed snake skin, put it where the mice are coming in, and they will go elsewhere. Might be elsewhere in your house, though...

At one time I thought about letting a king snake loose in the house, but figured there would be issues with my dogs, and it would probably leave through the doggy door and disappear, anyway. That was when we had a serious infestation of mice, and caught 12 in one day in live traps. yikes!

Beth.
  7. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I'm babysitting a 6' python right now. While she's used to large rats, rabbits and chickens - she'll still go for the wandering mice!

I have her 'till Christmas, she can eat LOTS by then ;)

Goodluck getting rid of the critters!
    Amanda
  8. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm scared to death of them. I know they are little, and all those other things people try to tell me, but they scare me.

Years ago, the cat I had brought a live one and dropped it in my bed in the middle of the night. I let out a blood curddling scream. My Dad came to my room and I couldn't speak, I was hyperventilating and I was frozen where I was. Dad finally got me out of there, put me in another room, put towels around the bottom of the door (because I insisted) and he stayed up all night with the cat until they caught that little sucker.

Oh, I'm not good with them at all.
    Tigger
  9. JerseySue

JerseySue New Member

apparently the smell will keep them away. My husband swears it works too.
    A big cat doesn't hurt either.
    Gentle Hugs Sue
  10. BethM

BethM New Member

Mice are NOT cute. Not when they burrow through an entire loaf of bread leaving a poop filled tunnel in the loaf, and then move on to nibble on and poop in everything else they can get hold of! They also carry their own vermin on their little furry bodies. yuck.

They are cute outside in the field where they belong, but NOT in my house!

*taking a deep breath*

ok, I'm done now...

Beth.
  11. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

You always have the darndest problems! Now it's mice! I agree about the cat and I agree get rid of them! My kitties are doing serious damage to the chipmonk population! They try to give them to me. They are so proud of themselves! It's wild kingdom at my house! I would declare war on them! Good Luck! Lynn
  12. baddogdays

baddogdays New Member

Try mouse traps and put chunk peanut butter force it down in the metal curled peice that the bar hooks to. Also once set you can place it in a paper bag and you don't have to look at the dead mouse. Also if you have animals keep away from them. Also be careful when you activate the spring bar don't put your fingers where the trap bar goes.
  13. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I use those sticky paper traps but you have to make sure that your other animals can't reach them. Sticky paper also gets the spiders. I've also got 4 live traps outside around my home.
    Good luck!
    Dee50

P.S. If you use the sticky paper and one of your other animals gets stuck use vegetable oil to remove them don't just pull the animal out that doesn't work![This Message was Edited on 10/23/2005]
  14. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Sorry. I know, serious subject and serious matter.

I just had to let out a laugh when I read "..and die peacefully from internal hemorrhaging."

There just doesn't seem to be anything peaceful about the thought of internal hemorraging ;)

It's not like I can say it's mean or cruel, afterall I have to feed perfectly healthy ones to the snake.
  15. Sachmo

Sachmo New Member

We got mice in the house. It stole the dog food and put the little dry piece in the oven where the gas thingy comes out but under the shelf

I came home one day and started the oven. All of a sudden the oven was smoking and the house smelled of roasted dog food (yuck!)

I turned the oven off and there was a fire under the bottom of the stove. We finally got the roasted dog food to stop smoking and then when the oven cooled we took it apart and cleaned it.

During the "incident" the fire alarm went off and the security company called. We told them we where fine and had it under control. I have a dog that is a labradoodle and he almost tripped me on the ground to get out of the house. What a lot of help. Eventually we got everything under control but it took forever to get the dog back in the house.

We put traps with peanut butter and got rid of them. Just remember there is no such thing as one mouse.

It is a pretty funny story to tell, but somehow I am not surprised that this happened because weird stuff seems to always happen to me

16. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm afraid to use something like Decon for various reasons... one) I don't think bleeding internally is necessarily peaceful and two) I'm afraid they will die in the walls or something and the the smell would permeate into the house also what would happen if one of my cats got a dying mouse, would the cat be poisoned too? I don't know.

I use a trap called a "Snap-E Trap" You use peanut butter and it goes into a little hole and when the mouse steps on the platform it gets them and kills them right away.

I hate those wooden traps because more than once I've had mouse and trap disappear, or the mouse is just traped by one leg and then I have to kill it. Arrrgghh. Yuck
    Tigger
  17. BethM

BethM New Member

you just had to bring up the subject of mice, hmmm? I had little 'mousy presents' all over my stove this morning. YUCK. Had to scrub the skillet that was also there before I could use it. DOUBLE YUCK!!

I've had mice die in the walls and stink for days, awful stench. That's one reason I won't use poison. Another is that yes, if a predator eats a poisoned mouse, the predator also is affected. The county agriculture folks told me that. I'd hate to kill and owl or a cat because I poisoned a mouse.

The snap traps work well. I've never had one trapped by a leg or had a trap disappear with the mouse. Maybe just lucky? (not the mouse, though...)

I think they are foraging for winter. There's lots of vegetation outside, they can forage there!

To keep mice out of the dog food, I cut wine bottle corks in half length-wise and glued them to the bottom of a big Rubbermaid container, to make feet for it, to keep it off the ground. Also, I put narrow foam weather stripping into the part of the lid that fits onto the container to seal it. Between the two modifications, we've kept ants and mice out of the dog food for many years. (and tonight, just to make a liar out of me, they will join forces and figure out a way to get in! hah! They better not...)

The battle continues!

Peace (but not to mice in the house!)
    Beth.
  18. pepper

pepper New Member

For the first time ever. I guess as someone mentioned it is because the cooler weather is here. It runs from under the kitchen cupboards to under the fridge. My cat sits there ready to pounce all evening long but it is smart enough not to show its face.

My husband put a humane trap in the hole where it seems to go and the entire trap has disappeared. Luckily there were two in the package. Every now and then I hear it snap shut but there is no mouse in it. This seems to be one smart mouse.

We have pulled out the fridge and cleaned up the droppings and I discovered lots of droppings in the cupboards. My cat is a good mouser who leaves little "presents" of dead animals on the front step every day. But I would prefer to release this one rather than kill it.

Does anyone know of a good trap that won't kill the mouse?

Pepper
  19. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

If your handy at all, or can get someone else to make it - I use a clear box trap with a one sided hinged door on it. I made mine quite large to use for the cats that keep ripping my window screens trying to get to my birds in the house, but for a mouse you can make the same concept just on a smaller scale. With the box being clear they can see that you've put food in it - but once they go in, the door doesn't open reverse for them to get back out.
  20. zreenie

zreenie New Member

Oh...My....Gosh! I am not just afraid of mice, I have a phobia from a bad childhood experience. Im 48 now and its never improved. We live in an older house thats not very air tight so every fall we get mice, despite the cats. We live on a farm with fields all around so we have the big fat field mice. Yuck!

Poison works best but I cant use it because they come out in the floor and die! That happened to me once while hubby was at work so I was trapped in one room all day with no phone to call anyone! Im as afraid of dead ones as alive ones1

We use traps IF someone else is here to empty them. I have to go in another room and lock the door while they take it out.

I have a cat in the house but if he catches one he wants to bring it to me as a gift.

I have searched the house covering holes with tin and every other thing I can think of.

I saw a newfangled trap at our local feed store that catches several before you have to empty it but it doesnt kill them. You take them somewhere and let them go. Needless to say this doesnt work for me.

Once I had one in the trashcan in the kitchen when I was home alone. I actually ask the UPS man to take it out and he did!

I hope you find a way to get rid of them and then share it!

Good Luck!