HELP please 5 1/2 hr. flight tomorrow

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lin-z, Nov 16, 2005.

1. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I am soo nervous. I am (planning on) going to vegas tomorrow for the weekend with my husbands business assoc. for what is supposed to be fun..fun fun.. I have not been on such a long flight since I have gotten this dd and dont now how i can do it. The am is the worst time for me and our flight is before 9 am. i feel so bad if i dont go..i have backed out of so many things we have been invited to...any suggestions would be appreciated....
  2. LACurrry

LACurrry New Member

Just try to go and try to have some fun! If you have to rest or sleep, the bed is never too far away.
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I travelled by plane last year - what was supposed to be a 3 hr flight, turned into a 6 hr. one due to delays.

You should drink lots of water, and make sure to get up and walk around every once in a while. The more you move, the less stressful it will be on your body.
  4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be fun, but we usually feel awful.

Go prepared with a portable CD player, a stack of music that soothes you, your own blanket that makes you feel comfortable. Little snacks that you need to feel good, pain relievers, your rice sock (sometimes you can find a flight attendant who will heat it for you) and maybe even a sleep covering for your eyes. I find that if I go into "my cocoon" I can deal with this better. If you can sleep all the better.

Have fun too. This is what life is all about.....making memories.
  5. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

lin-z,

The others have given you good advice. I fly from one coast to the other 2-3 times each year. (To visit my Mom back East) Here are a few tips from my flying with Fibro: Don't wait til the last minute to pack!(It may already be too late for that tip, huh?!) Make sure you pack COMFY clothing. Also take along any of your comfort treatments such as heating pad (doesn't take up much room), rice/bean packs/Bed buddies, ice packs, etc. If you can, take your own pillow onto the plane or pack it. A "foreign"/ hotel pillow can really mess up your sleep & bod! Pack extra meds & supplements just in case you get delayed in returning home...Always pack all meds/ supplements in a carry-on bag.Don't take the chance that your checked-in luggage will arrive with you! Bags DO get lost!

For the plane trip, I take a comfy neck (wraparound) pillow & small fleece blanket. I always freeze on airplanes, so layering clothes is a good idea. Wear loose, warm, comfy clothes & shoes on the plane. Fashion is not as important as being comfortable!

As someone mentioned; drink lots of water while & after flying. I take bottled water with me. Don't drink alcohol or sodas as they are dehydrating. Take-along snacks are good for when you need to take meds/ supplements.

Lately, I have packed a wheeled backpack for my carry-on. This really helps because a packed purse kills my shoulders! What I do is put the purse inside the backpack, along with my pillow, blanket, bottled water, snacks, reading materials, walkman, etc. The wheeled backpack is great for walikng in the airport & out to transportation. It also is small enough to qualify for a carry-on bag, so I have all my most needed stuff with me during the flight.

If you know ahead of time that the A.M. is your worse pain time; plan on taking extra pain meds (of course, only what you are supposed to take!) just in case your pain gets too uncomfortable. Relaxation tapes or CD's would be helpful to listen to if you have a portable player with headphones.

Good luck & I hope you enjoy your weekend! I'm sure I could think of more tips, but I've written way too much already! Have a great flight & weekend at Vegas. If you are one of us who gets OD'ed on sensory overload; be sure you recognize if it's happening & try to find a quiet place to de-stress! (Are there quiet places in Vegas?!!!...Yeh...there must be! Even if it's going to your room to relax.)

Blessings & Hugs,
    Annie

6. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I am so glad to be home and I am not gonna lie....It was a yucky weekend and the flight killed me...the place is lovely but i couldnt move for 16 hours after we got there I felt bad for my husband but his co workers seemed to understand...I caused a major flare up and am not going anywhere for a long long time....my babies are home from college so i am full of joy and contented to be with the ones i love...happy thanksgiving to everyone
  7. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

lin-z,
    I'm so sorry to hear that you had a rough trip. I fly to Arkansas (from New York) a few times a year to visit my daughter and granddaughters. It's not as long a flight as yours was and I'm only travelling to the adjacent time zone. And my daughter understands that I'll be needing at least one day to recover from the flight.

My kids gave me a 60th birthday cruise to Hawaii last year and I turned it into a Western Caribbean cruise because I knew the flight and the time zone would kill me. Even that was rough. Looks like I've done all the vacationing I'm going to be doing. And that's not a problem. I'd rather be home - where things are convenient, comfortable and predictable.