Help please antipressant allergies.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pansylady, Jun 26, 2008.

1. pansylady

pansylady New Member

I am in a big flare at present as the herbs arent working anymore. I dont want to take Elavil again but I must admit it did help with my allergies & nerve pain but the weight gain & sugar craving, which didnt help with my Candida didnt help. I also had terrible side effects going off it even though I was only on one 25m a day.

Does anyone know of an antidepressant that helps also with allergies I am on Zertec and its not helping with them.
    I have also tried Claratyn. The itch and hives and not sleeping are driving me insane.

Has anyone tried maprotiline. I heard it helps with sleeping but doesnt have the side effects that Elavil has.
    The ingredients in these meds. also kill me but I have no alternative but to try something as my live is a misery at present.

I have also tried sleeping pills event he mmore modern ones and they dont help. It doesnt help also I have no Doctor who knows anything about FM where i live.

Appreciate help.

2. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

I take Fish oil 1000 mg 3 times a day, it helps to perk your mood up so in some ways it will act like an antidepressant. Im not sure what affect it will have on allergies though. I also take paxil 10 mg and Cymbalta 60mg and Lyrica 50mg all 1 time a day but at different times. Good luck
  3. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I sympathize with you, I have to be really careful about what I take due to allergies.

I don't know what your situation is, but I had hives so bad my legs looked like I was dragged on a gravel road behind a horse. This is what I did: NO FOOD OR DRINK except water for 3 days. Next three days as many white potatos as I wanted but no salt, pepper, butter, etc. Next three days I added eggs, any way, shape, or form, but again nothing added, including something to fry them stick free in the frying pan. Next three days as many apples as I wanted, etc. etc.

Keep adding ONE INGREDIENT ITEMS until you find out what you are allergic to, find relief, or find it is not working.

The object was to find out what I was allergic to, and by adding something and giving my body time to react, I would know if I was allergic.

Results of this plan for me: I lost 30 lbs and found out I was allergic to wheat.

I personally would stop taking herbs before I started this plan because they may cause the allergy.

Now when I take new supplements, I take one type for three days, if I don't react, then I add the next one, (if there is one) etc. etc. just like the food plan. If my doctor prescribes more than Rx at a time, she agrees with my one at a time plan.

Good luck - Love, Lillie
  4. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

it is an otc mediction for allergies/hives.

I have urticaria and must take it on a daily basis.

An elimination diet such as Lillie spoke about is good but hard to do when you are sick. It is my goal to get that done this year.

Doing a modified version. I suggest that you consider this as more medication will only make things worse (then you develop allergies to fillers, etc).

Get rid of the problem at the source is your best bet but it is not easy.