Help, please ... I'm seeing a new doc

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ConfusedInPA, Jan 13, 2016.

1. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

next month. Yep, our health insurance changed again. Grrrrrrrrr.

I didn't know where to post this. The only active forums seem to be ChitChat and HomeBound. So I thought I'd post my questions here, where the people know me. :) And give great advice and comfort. :)

So here goes......

This doc is just what I was looking for: close to home (less than a mile), older (in his 60's), privileges at my closest hospital, accepts my insurance.

Then, I got the new patient info package from the doc's office. No big deal. Until I started reading the questions. I'm kinda baffled by some of them.

For example, they want Kevin's health history. That's a violation of HIPPA, unless Kevin signs a release to give the info. Correct?

Then there are about 200 questions (no kidding) -- yes or no answers. Do you cough in the morning? Do you shave under your arms? Do you have a UTI? Is your skin dry? And there's no room on the questionnaire for "Explain ______________".

I keep looking at the questionnaire and think -- why? Sometimes I cough, if my sinuses are acting up. Whose skin doesn't get dry at times? And name me one female who hasn't had a UTI at one time or another in her life.

And they want me to bring in my prescription bottles, ALL supplement bottles, and anything else I take. Does that mean I take in my aspirin bottle (which I take for aches and pains)?

Am I overreacting? This doc is a board certified internist, highly regarded. I checked his credentials. I doubt anyone will look over my form with a fine tooth comb, but I just feel strange about all these questions.

Any advice, or possible explanations, or if you have been through this yourself .... would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your help!

Love and hugs, Diane

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Diane,

More and more, docs are asking a lot of questions. If this were me, I'd look at it as his being thorough. I don't think you are overreacting; you just aren't used to it. Better this than the cavalier attitude of my doc. I'd answer any questions, like the one about dry skin and UTI's as a 'no' unless you have it now or suffer chronically from it. It is common to have patients bring in their pill bottles and supps too. I don't think the aspirin is necessary but, if you take it all the time, I'd mention it.

Did they give you a release form for Kevin? How does he feel about it? This may be something new or just something this doc wants. I can see where a spouse's health can have an effect on the other spouse's.

It sounds as though this is such a good situation for you. I can't tell you what to do--just what I'd do if it were me. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
    ConfusedInPA and bct like this.
  3. ConfusedInPA

Mikie --

You are truly an angel! You've calmed me. Thank you.

No, they didn't give me a release form for Kevin to sign, to release his med info. He really doesn't care if I mention his HPB or Type 2 Diabetes. But, it was a strange question, possibly a violation of HIPPA.

If I look at the category of "Have you ever experienced ..... etc.?"
    I should just check all the YES boxes. That's where I'm getting confused.

For example, my dry mouth and dry eyes are no longer a problem. But they were a major problem when I was mis-diagnosed with Sjogren's.

I could write a three-page essay of what I've gone through 1999-2008, to tack on to the back of the forms. It's all because I was misdiagnosed and given meds for those diagnoses. Caused a lot of probs for me. Including gyno probs. All went "POOF", when the meds were stopped and I limited my gluten intake. Anyways, LOOOONG STORY.

He does sound like a good doc. I may leave a portion of those forms blank, and tell them I don't know how to answer! I'm sure I'll see a nurse first, before the doc comes in.

Love, Diane
  4. bct

bct Active Member

Diane, don't stress. I agree with Mikie 100%!

Hugs, Barry
    ConfusedInPA likes this.
  5. ConfusedInPA

I appreciate your reply so much.

Hugs back to ya,
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Diane, I agree with Mikie, but I disagree with Barry.

Just thought I'd throw that in to lighten the mood.

It would not be a violation of HIPPA laws for you to give info on Kevin to
    the doc because HIPPA applies to insurance plans and health care providers,
    not to patients discussing their spouse.

I remember many decades ago when I was right out of college. I went to
    a new doc and filled out form. There was a long list of "Have you ever had
    this problem" questions. I checked NO for all of them. The doctor glanced
    at the form, said, " I can see you're healthy", and didn't really read anything

I think the questionnaire you got has two purposes. The doctor wants to
    know about your health and possible related problems with others who
    are in the family. He also wants to be protected in case you didn't tell
    him something vital like: I am allergic to penicillin.

If asked about a condition you once had, you can always check "no" and,
    if you like, write in the margin that you had it years ago.

My doctor, BTW, wants me to bring in my pill bottles every visit so he
    can get accurate info on what I'm taking and how much. Too many
    chances for error if he goes by what the patient thinks he's taking.

Good luck
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    bct and ConfusedInPA like this.
  7. kswebb

kswebb Member

Hi Diane~

Long time, no post/chat! Just wanted to chime in with this as well. When the ACA (Affordable Care Act) aka Obamacare became law health providers had to ask more questions per the law. I wasn't comfortable with some of them and when I saw my dr., as you mentioned - saw the nurse first and I told her this and she explained that because of ACA they now have to ask these questions but as a patient we don't HAVE to answer. So I answered what I felt comfortable with and left the rest blank on the form. She asked me some of the ones I didn't answer verbally (as she was entering into the computer) and I told her I'll pass on that one! LOL!

I am glad you found a doctor near you and I hope he is helpful to you!
    ConfusedInPA likes this.
  8. ConfusedInPA

Hi again, all!

I really appreciate all your replies. I'm doc-phobic, so y'all helped to calm me down, a lot! Thank you!

I'd really like to copy the forms, fill out in pencil, consult with Kevin, and see what he thinks about my answers.

Great info about the HIPPA, Rock. Thanks! And I'll answer the questions about med allergies, prescriptions I take, etc. Other questions, not sure yet.

KS, yep, you're right -- long time no post/chat! I think that was last spring-ish(?) when we got our new fridge and dishwasher. And you were getting a new car? With heated seats? (If my memory is correct!)

That makes a lot of sense to me, what you posted. It's comforting to know that I do have options, as a patient. Your nurse/doc was comfortable with what information you gave, and declined to give?

KS, please feel free to post on our threads, when you feel up to it. I post a lot on Homebound/Bedbound board. We play a lot of games there. It keeps my mind focused -- or re-focused -- so I don't obsess about "all things medical". :) You can also send me a PM ("conversation") request. I'm mostly around on the boards; I log in a couple times a day. I don't always post though. I get bouts of "shyness" -- then I overcome them. :)

Once again, THANK YOU ALL! I really appreciate the replies.

Hugs, Diane
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks, Rock and KS.

The info on HIPPA and ACA are good to know.

What great members we have. Everyone is so generous with info and support.

Love, Mikie
    ConfusedInPA likes this.
  10. kswebb

kswebb Member

Hi Diane ~

First to answer your question - my dr. is an Integrative doctor with her own practice - not in any group or hospital. So she doesn't agree with everything in the ACA. She does think there are good parts but the burden put on drs. isn't one of them. So she complies by doing the required paperwork, etc. but that is about it. I LOVE HER!

Anyway, I work full-time still and seem to be handling the MS alright. Though when I have a flare of symptoms I question that. I went through that the week between Christmas and New Years but I know that can be attributed to the stress of the holidays. And I even said NO to entertaining at our home and scaled back on decorating. Can you imagine how I would have been if I had done all that? Probably in the hospital! So I am glad I came through the holidays as well as I did. I was able to work at home that week in between the holidays and it was very quiet at work so that helped as well.

Didn't mean to high jack this post ~ but my point is that I am not on message boards, etc. that much due to juggling everything. BUT I do enjoy it when I do, so need to make more of a point of it. I think it would be nice to have those connections :)

Next time I will send you a conversation request - how do I do that again? LOL!!!

11. ConfusedInPA

Hi Kelly,

I can understand why you love your doc! You seem to have a lot on your plate, but I'd love to hear from you, when you are able. Like I said PM (conversation) is an option, if you don't want to post publicly on the PH Boards.

When you log in, near the top of the board, right-hand side it will say [username] [inbox] [alerts].

Click on inbox. You can start a private conversation there, my username is confusedinpa. Or you can add other members to the conversation, up to five (including yourself).

You did not hijack this post. You are a welcome friend. And your information was very comforting to me.

Hugs, Diane :)
    1. lst of all I'm knew from KY I've been to two of the top docs in the CFIDS community the 2nd has helped me be more functional CFS is easier to say but I know young mothers who are chronically fatigue due to possible adrenal exhaustion which we have also, but they may not have the HPA axis or my lst top doc kept saying deep injury at the level of the hypathlmus. Most docs that don't stay up on CFIDS don't even know what deep brain injury means duh. energy try adenosine , NADH too expensive, the top docs are compounding Oyxtocin Goldstein Teitulbaum Cheney and my doc I'm on it it helps but yes I'm still disabled
  12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Golden Jumpshot

Welcome to the Board. Do you have a nickname? AU; Goldie? I live
    in CA. "Oro" is frequently heard here.
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Diane, The last time I went to the doc's it was to an orthopedist for my shoulder. I was appalled at some of the questions on two of the forms the had me fill out. They apologized in advance for one of them, said they were requied to do this.

One was to determine if you were suffering from depression! Don't know what this has to do with orthopedics. It had very personal questions. I didn't answer some of them. The other form wanted a lot of medical info that had nothing to do with why I was there and it took me about 30 minutes to do this. I was already exhausted and in pain so this was not easy.

I finally decided to just skip it. I gave them some of the forms without filling them out. There were 4 altogether, I think. I haven't been back there either. (The ironic thing is, my daughter works for this group in another office. I still don't care to go back.) :) THERE IS NO MORE PRIVACY IN THIS WORLD! GB

I wanted to clarify something. One of the reasons this was so hard to make sense of is because the questions about depression also could apply to CFS, which I've had for 39 years. There was no room to write anything in, so if I answered the question they had no way of knowing the REAL cause. If you have CFS, you'll understand. The other confusing form was dealing with pain. There again, there was no way to separate the question/answers to clarify whether or not the pain was from your current 'injury' or from FMS/Arthritis, which I also have. It was impossible to fill out without writhing an entire book. :)
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  14. ConfusedInPA

GB, I thank you so much for your detailed reply. I relate to so much of what you wrote!

No, I don't have CFS or FM. I joined PH in 2006, when it was thought that I had autoimmune diseases. PH (then) had message boards for arthritis, lupus, candida, etc. I made friends on the chit chat board, so I stuck around.

ALL my diagnoses were wrong. And, hence, the drugs/treatments were wrong!

It was when I got viral pneumonia when everything came to a head! And everything became clear to me. I did not have lupus (it was drug induced); I did not have Sjogren's (it was diet-induced); I did not have Rheumatoid Arthritis -- no tests ever proved that I did!

It was the plaquenil and prednisone that were Rx'd for me. The plaq started bothering my eyesight. I could not "focus" -- I would see a line of text here, and then the same line 1/2 inch above. Same with looking at the TV or reading a book. I was building up an intolerance to the Plaq. The Pred wrecked my immune system. I get ill at the drop of a pin now.

Add into that -- my then GP upped my dose of statin (for high cholesterol) and added TRICOR (for high triglycerides). WOW. Can you say "muscle pain"???????

What I need now is a doc who understands, what I've been through. I will not accept a label of depression, especially since I see a psych doc who says PTSD/panic disorder.

I'm just baffled about all the med questions. Some are personal, and maybe I don't want to answer. MOST DON'T RELATE TO WHY I WANT TO SEE THIS DOC. I have High Blood Pressure and need meds for that. He'll want to do bloodwork, see about blood sugar and thyroid levels, I'm sure.

I know that you understand what I wrote. Others on this thread understand too.

My appt has been postponed until March. Doc is not in the week of my scheduled appt.

Thanks for replying. And thanks for y'all listening to me. This is a great forum for friends and understanding.

Luv y'all,