HELP PLEASE??? New & Not Yet Diagnosed NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chill, Feb 10, 2010.

1. chill

chill New Member

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting and I'm from Kentucky GO CATS!!!
    I'll just begin by saying after 4 1/2 years of nothing my OBGYN referred me to a Rheumy. I go see him on Monday the 15th. I so hope he can help me as I am a single mother trying to raise to very active boys and work full time. I used to be so active but the pain has gotten to be unbearable and I need help. My Doctors name is Manoj Kohli. Have any of you heard of him?

After reading hear for months and researching fibro i'm almost postive that's what I have. It will be so nice to for a doctor to say it though.

Anyway, can you guys help me out in how to explain to the doctor that i'm not depressed, I just want the pain to go away or dull some. My boys need me and all mommy does now after work is the very least possible. By the way i'm 38 years old and feel like a 80 year old women! Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/10/2010]
  2. pumkinhead

pumkinhead New Member

Hello and welcome. I have fibro. Try not to worry the rheumy will help diagnose you. Most likely they will do a trigger point test which means they will push on your trigger points and ask
    if it hurts. If you had an accident or loss let them know.

As far as the depression goes it usually accompanies fibro.

I do not know how you do it. Working full time raising boy's as a single mother and now your sick. I am so sorry. I was a single mom also.
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Chill, this will be short...I'm having a bad day but since you are new and needing so many answers I want to try the help. I remember when I was dx, I was so happy and so sad at the thoughts of having to deal with FM everyday.

This board is a valuable source of info...check on some articles from PH archives (top of page).

Your question of course was how to make an doctor understand you are more that just suffering with depression. Very few doctors like to handle pain's important that you have a great doctor.

Pain disorders and depression can run hand in hand, I realize that but I also realize that I was in pain before I became depression.

You doctor may want to try some anti depressants and that OK as long as it Ok with has been shown that some antidepressant can help a bit with the pain and help with sleep at night. So if he offers them for you to try don't assume he thinks it's all in your head:)

4. chill

chill New Member

Thanks for responding everyone. I have been having a major flare as I have people on this board call them that since Sept. 2009. So I hope he gets me on track. The feeling of not being able to go on somedays is for the birds. I'm going to read the articles at the top of the page. Agains thanks!

5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It's okay to be a little depressed....because of your pain and how your life has changed! I would actually let my Dr. know that.
    The best thing to do is to tell your Dr. how this all is affecting your life- what you can and can't do. It's hard for others to understand someone's pain, but when someone says "I can't walk up the stairs because my legs hurt so badly" for instance, you get a good idea of what they feel.

Are you taking any meds currently? Is there anything that is helping you? I know how hard it is to try to have a life and live with this, but you will find ways to make some adjustments.
    A good supportive Dr is super important. Support in general is really important!

"Flair"...yeah I never knew that word either. I'm almost in a constant flair.

Let us know how your appt. goes!
  6. quanked

quanked Member

I am too tired to be of much help but you have found a good place to be.

Lots of information, support and comfort here. Prohealth has provided a wonder place for us here in cyber space.

7. chill

chill New Member

The only meds I'm on now: 1mg Zanax as needed - I only 1/2 at night / 4 ea ibuprphen am & 4 more pm the 2 ea more if I need before bed / 2 ea Tylanol pm's to sleep.

That's all I take and they don't help at all. I also have kidney stones, just had 1 (one) blasted in october 2009 and my regular doctor had me on roxicet (spelling?) and my urologist put me on diliduad (spelling). Those seemed to help but the dididuad made me where I couldn't function at work so I flushed those down the toilet.

The roxicet did seem to help as I got more things around the house done, but I only had about 1 weeks worth of that and I finished those up in January 2010. I'm a hoarder when it comes to my meds and I just hate taking pills. But those roxicets did help as far as making the pain dull. I play all kinds of sports, with and without my children, we have a very active lifestyle. I currently walk at least 6 miles a day or we ride bikes, but it's getting to be more of a hassle than anything. Most days I would just rather stay in my bed.

8. chill

chill New Member

Back from the Doctor and the Diagnosis: Fibro! Lovely! Here I go down the road. Will be reading on here a lot more now. He told me to get educated and learn all I can. He left me on my Xanax and added Elavil! Have any of you taken Elavil. On my bottle is says for chronic pain and depression.

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.

9. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Elavil is an antidepressant, I haven't been prescribed that medication but I added a link for information on that drug.

Perhaps you will get some personal experiences with Elavil from board members. I said before it's great to finally get that dx, to know your not crazy. But sad as well because you realize you will likely have to cope with FM for your lifetime:(

10. janenec

janenec New Member

I have been on elavil since Dec 2009. It was specifically prescribed to me for sleep. I take 25 mgs at night. It works for the most part. There are still nights I don't get much sleep and feel exhausted when I get up in the morning. But I actually have good nights, and that awesome. Not sure if this is why you were prescribed it. Good luck with everything.
  11. goodguess25

goodguess25 New Member

I also use evail at night for pain and sleep it has a sedative effect without the benzo, like xanax, valium and what not. It can take a week to get use to it I take a 100mg at night but i had worked myself up to the dosage. Originally I was only taken 50mg at night started at 25mg at night. I also have more medical issue than fibro. It would be easier to start out when you don't have to work the next day or two. It will make you tired for the first week, give your body some time to adjust. Also would look into supplement with magnesuim it is a natural muscle relaxer it not like flexrill so you won't be toataly loose and sleepy,But It dose help.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2010]