Help please, Swollen Belly?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bozey, Nov 28, 2005.

1. bozey

bozey New Member

Does anyone know what would make my belly swell up tight? It has been getting bigger for a few months now and I had gallbladder surgery one month ago and I thought that would make the swelling go down. But it is still growing. Tonight it is so tight that it is actually uncomfortable to sit. I ask my Doc about it before the surgery and he wasn't sure.

I'm going to make an appointment with him tomorrow and thought maybe someone on here might have some suggestions on what it could be so he can start ruling things out.

I do have a fatty liver but that wouldn't cause it would it? I am so clueless and am really getting discusted with the way I look. I have skinny arms and legs and my belly has taken over so that I look like I am at least 8 months pregnant. Even my elastic waist pants are so tight that I can't have them up to my waist, I roll them down under my belly and wear a long shirt.

I don't eat alot or overeat so I don't know what is going on.

I sure hope someone can help me here.

Thanks in advance.

bozey
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I have no clue what it is. It doesn't sound like you have any pain, or fevers. Any symptoms at all besides the big belly? If you lay on your back and palpitate hard, do you feel any mass anywhere?
    I am acutely curious, please tell some more. I am so sorry about this. It is hard having your whole appearance change too, it could make anybody feel blah. I hope someone may know more than I do. Maybe the doc. visit will solve the mystery if not.
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I was thinking liver even before I read about your fatty liver. I'm sure he will rule out liver problems. Do you have IBS? That can do it too. There are other things and they should be looked into. Just be firm and let him know that it's been going on for a while and you need an answer.

Kathy.
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'm glad to hear you are going to the doctor. That doesn't sound right. Especially after just having had gallbladder surgery.

I know my belly got much more swollen when menopause hit. But mine was (is) swollen from my belly button on down. I'm fairly thin, so it really sticks out.

But yours sound like more than that. Keep us informed as to what the Dr says.

Katy
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Have you asked your doctor about possible digestive problems? Do you have IBS?

My stomach bloats to the size of a full term pregnancy and is very hard. After months of being tested and diagnosed with IBS, it turned out to be Gastroparesis. My food does not digest quickly, which can cause the swelling with me.

I don't eat much starch it seems to make it worse. No dairy, lean meats only, nothing that is hard to digest for the most part. All veggies and fruits have to be skinless and COOKED.

Your bloating sounds so familiar. You might consider seeing a gastro doctor.

Good luck!

Kim
  6. ckahele

ckahele New Member

same thing happened to me after my surgery.
    my stomach was huge. i think whatever they used to knock me out made my yeast go out of control.

another poster said garlic helped her belly subside.
    guess what..garlic kills yeast.

i'd think along the lines of killing your yeast off for a treatment.

good luck. cyndy
  7. bozey

bozey New Member

I did go to the Doc today and he wants me to have a cat scan done of my belly. He said he did feel a few hard spots. Hopefully he will find nothing wrong. They'll call me this afternoon to let me know when they set up the test. I will let all of you know when I get the results back.
  8. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

Bozey, I was writting a reply when you were letting us know that you had seen the doctor today, I deleted it, as it would not have been helpful, I realized this after reading your update. I hope that this is something that can be treated easily, & nothing serious. My prayers are with you, JoLinda
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Glad you went to the doc. The hard spots in your belly could be compacted poo. I'm sure there is a more official name for it. Impacted, maybe??

Anyway, my massage therapist does colon massage which helps with colon spasms and helps move things through. She just massages on my belly stroking in the direction the colon naturally goes. I wouldn't do this until you know what is actually going on, though.

Keep us updated.

Katy
  10. Prunella

Prunella New Member

My skinny friend just had a hysterectomy to remove a large fibroid that made her look pregnant. Could be a large cyst or other gynocological problem. Have you had a gyn exam lately?

Otherwise, there is a lot of good advice here. I am average weight or a little below and I often bloat up after eating. I sometimes unhook my bra and unsnap my jeans becaue of it. What a lovely sight I am! I only do that at home and it is a lot easier to do that in winter with all the layers I wear. About the only good thing I can say about winter!

11. lana33

lana33 New Member

I have the bloat problem too. I have had IBS for years. Well I was reading one of the previous poster's and she said she knew of a lady with a large fibroid. I had a hyst this last summer. Have known for a long time I had multiple fibroids.

Had the feeling my stomach was just going to go way down. It didn't. However, I went to buy my usual supply of vitamins. The lady there told me to buy the supplement called yeast busters.

I have been taking them for about a month. I started seeing results almost immediately. It has lots of diff herbs and vitamins. Put out by vitamin world.

I don't have a flat stomach. But I also don't have the bloat, none of the gas that I usually have off and on. I did however have to stop taking the magnesium though. It interferred with how it helped my constipation.

I just decided I would rather take Senna once a week and leave off the mag for now.

I hope you find out soon what is causing your problem. If it isn't serious you might want to try the yeast busters. Just make sure you wait at least one hour before or after taking other meds or supplements that you already take.

This was on the instructions on the bottle.

Hugs,
    Lana
  12. bozey

bozey New Member

I go for my cat scan on Monday and should have results by Weds. I will let you all know.
    Thanks for the tips. I will try them one at a time until one works. That is if there is no problems that the cat scan picks up.

Thank again

bozey