HELP please-Urgent-Thyroid issues?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by badluck, Aug 24, 2005.

1. badluck

badluck New Member

Last Friday I went to the ER because of a racing pulse (lasted about 1-2 mins) followed by PVCs. I had a pretty severe case of bronchitis and the DR sent me home with Zpac antibiotic (3 day course) and an albuterol inhaler. No Dr or nurse was in the room when the PVCs occurred and they didn't seem to feel it was an issue. The EKG and blood tests were fine (I guess).

Since then, I have been having PVCs daily. My normal temp is 96.5 to 97.5-most of my family have low temps. Since last Friday, my temp has been 94.8-96.7 and I am wondering if this and the PVCs could be related to thyroid problems? My thyroid levels and hormones always come back in the normal range on the blood tests, but could this be a false reading (per PCP the TSH @ the ER came back at 2.8)?

Also, I notice the PVCs are worse in the early part of the day, before I have anything to eat. My blood sugar is normal, I am not diabetic, but 1 sister is type 1 and the other is type 2 diabetic.

The coughing from the bronchitis also seems to make the PVCs worse, but it is also making life miserable because I have a very bad time with costochondritis. Any help or info would be GREATLY appreciated.

I am told that PVCs are not life threatening, but anything cardiovascular does scare me as my family has a history of heart problems. (I had cardiac cath and ultrasounds done 2.5 to 3 yrs ago and the arteries were all clear-Dr assured me they could not have gotten that bad to cause problems in this amount of time.) My diet is not the greatest, but has been improved lately and I have lost 20 lbs (with ALOT to go!!) in the last 4 months. So I think this may be thyroid or bronchitis related, but I need some feedback, please. Thanks everyone!!

[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2005]
  2. badluck

badluck New Member

I use heat and Thermacare patches for the costo all the time and I've checked out just about everything on thyroid on most sites. I appreciate your post and hope for more feedback.
  3. steach

steach Member

One of THE BEST BOOKS THAT I HAVE EVER READ is: Thyroid Power- 10 Steps To Total Health by Richard L. Shames, M.D. and Karilee Halo Shames, R.N., PH.D.

There is SOOOOOO much info in it that you will be surprised! You will even be able to tell your doctor about tests, diagnosis, treatment, etc.! It is an exceptional book- I do not read alot of books but this one is a must! It runs approx. $14 and is well worth evey penny spent to regain your health. so much revolves around thyroid issues. Please purchase it today or go to the library and get it. I promise, you WILL learn more than any general practioner!!!!

Best Wishes,
    Steach
  4. badluck

badluck New Member

I'll be going to the library tonight to see if they have it. I really need some answers. My Dr just laughed at me when I asked for T3 and T4 tests instead of just TSH (but she did order it). Hope to get the results soon. Sounds like this book will really help-looking foreward to reading it.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2005]
  5. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

but a friend of mine was telling me about an "at-home" test for thyroid function that her endocrinologist had told her about ...

You take some iodine (2%) - just the regular old fashined stuff - and make a square about an inch on each side on your forearm or your belly ... someplace that it won't get easily wiped off.

The time it takes for the square to disappear is an indication of how well your thyroid is functioning ... on a "normal" person, it should take about 12 hours for it to go away. Anything less than that indicates an underactive thyroid.

Of course, after you find that out, you still have the problem of convincing your doctor to do ALL the tests necessary to see if you need supplementation ... but at least it's another indication.
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hi Badluck. Well you have good luck because a TSH of 2.8, would still be pretty good. My endocrinologist has me down at .1 something TSH. I used to be 5.5 TSH with my family docs, and I read that 5.5 was way too high a reading and my TSH should have been a lot lower.

I talked to my endo, who, at the time was just dealing with my diabetes. He said he would take over my thyroid problems and increased by Cytomel until my TSH was lower. I'm taking 50 mcg. of Cytomel.

I don't have any problems like you do. My endo did tell me as I lost weight I may need an adjustment in my thyroid meds, so he will be checking my thyroid in October.

I've lost 13 pounds with a lot to go. So I think you have done great to lose 20 pounds. Good luck with that. I know how hard it is.

Wish I could help you more. The one time I had a racing heart it was from anxiety and that is how I got on Xanax at that time. Have had anxiety problems off and on most of my adult life.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

Low thyroid function can result in PVCs. While low body temperatures can be indicative of low thyroid function, FMers have a tendency to not regulate body temperature well period.

As an aside, albuteral is an adrenaline agonist-that means it stimulates adrenaline receptors in the lungs which is good because it opens open the bronchi. Howerver, it also stimulates adrenaline receptors in the heart which causes the heart to beat faster. The PVCs increase with an increased heart rate.

Other things that can cause PVC include imbalances in blood potassium, phosphate or magnesium levels. You need to be very firm with your doc and insist that your thyroid function (a complete thyroid panel-not just TSH and T4)and your blood electrolyte levels need to be checked. Some docs will wait to see the results of these tests while others will put patients in a holter monitor for 24hr immedeiately to have hard evidence that PVCs are occurring.

The standard of practice is to always do a stress echo with evidence of PVC on a holter monitor that can not be explained away by thyroid or electrolyte imbalances. Most PVCs are innoculuous but heart function during exercise really needs to be checked to ensure that the PVCs are not compromising heart function. PVCs are usually treated with beta blockers. The beta blockers slows heart rate which tends to decrease the frequency of the PVC and decreases the force of contraction of the heart which tends to make the PVCs less noticeable when they do occur.

Hope this helps.