Help please!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fibrolady37, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

I hope someone can help as i feel like im going to burst if i don"t get this off my chest.
    I feel when i talk to people that i tell them way too much about myself & it really annoys me because i just blurt stuff out.
    I can"t do anything about it & i just go on & on & on.
    Does anyone else do this?
    Gentle hugs sharon dawber
  2. tjlibby

tjlibby New Member

Hi..
    Can your friends help you? Do they need to know? If they want to know they will ask.. Good Luck Teri
  3. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

I am like a faucet that has been left on..Hmmnn...
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi Sharon,
    I find myself falling into the same pattern. I think that it is because this dd is so isolating, that when we find someone to talk to we just bombard them with information, complaints, worries etc. Are you isolated? I have found living with fibro to be very isolating as some friends who don't understand have literally dropped off the planet in my little world.

I became aware I was doing the same thing you're doing and it was a moment of revelation for me. I make an attempt every day to call one or two people and talk about positive things and NOT my dd. I also read a great deal and go to the movies when I feel up to it, so I will have stuff to talk about other than fibro. I have two teenagers and they are great about keeping me current on all the rock groups, fashions, TV shows and such. As I mentioned in one of my other posts, I keep news watching to a minimum because it can be depressing, but I do make sure I get the news once a day. That way I can converse on something other than this dd which people cannot really relate to unless they are affected with it on a personal level.

Just try to go one day at a time and bring other topics of conversation into your repertoire. I know it is not easy when you are in pain and exhausted. My mother in law suffered from RA for her whole life, and she was the most wonderful conversationalist so everyone loved to visit her. She was housebound for 20 years. She used to say, if I am a drag when people come, they won't want to come any more. She had such wisdom. I try to remember that when I am tempted to drone on about how lousy I am feeling.

A hug across the miles,
    Michelle
  5. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

I tend to do the same thing. I'm trying to stop that though. From my experience, healthy people don't like to hear about illness all the time. So when friends ask how I'm doing and I'm not well, I just respond, "I'm hangin in there."
    Alicia