Help! Pleurisy Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Mar 7, 2006.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I'm having one heck of a time right now. For about 4 days, I've had really bad pleurisy pain like never before. At least I believe it to be pleurisy, all the classic symptoms like pain when breathing, can't take deep breaths, coughing etc.

It started on my right chest with stabbing pains to the back and has hit different places, such as on my sides and different areas of my back; then tonight, my left shoulder blade. The pain gets so bad that it has seemed to go down my arms. The other day it was affecting my right arm, and tonight my left. It hurts to try to push or lift anything.

I've been taking my Ultracet and also just took a Darvoct N-100. After taking the Darvocet, there was a slight period of relief, but then after about 20 minutes, it began again. My husband put Biofreeze on my left shoulder blade and all it does it make it cold. No help there.

Does anyone have a way that they might suggest I deal with this? I'm desperate! (I have this due to Lupus, FYI.)

Hugs, Jeannette

(Added coughing)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2006]
  2. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

I really think ,you should see a Dr.. But, it sure does sound like pleurisy, and know it is miserable.. I think, the Dr. could give you something, to help..........
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I'm so glad for your replies, and for someone to be able to check out the symptoms for me.

I'm sorry, I can't remember all of your names,but did read what you all said. Just really "foggy" brained, and I'm about ready to go to bed and hopefully sleep. I think I will see the Dr. if no improvement by am. Still have that pain in my back shoulder blade. Will check back tomorrow.

Hugs, Jeannette

I forgot to say, no temp right now. I did have some chills most of the morning and then went into a "hot flash" this afternoon though. But, never really run a fever, mostly sub-normal temps. If I have a fever of 99, I'm usually really down and sick.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2006]
  4. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Earlier today I was having pleurisy issues too. Not VERY bad, but even the most mild flare-ups can be VERY painful! It started on my right side then just moved over to my left.

Anyway, the dr. who dx'ed me with this said to drink tea, as this helps. Now.... I don't know if that's true or not.... I was dx'ed 20 years ago, I tried the tea once way back then, and don't remember if it helped or not. lol I'm not much of a tea drinker, so I usually just deal with it till it passes.

Good luck and take care!

Hugs!
    Starr

5. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

I have had horrible pleuricy/costo for years. I finally caved in and saw a chiro. (I was terrified.. but if you find a caring one it's not bad at all) She has been working on me for a while now, and while there is nothing miraculous to report my chest pain has gotten quite a bit better. I had numerous nights where I couldn't sleep 'cause the chest pain was so awful and I couln't breath. I haven't had an episode in 3 mohnths now.

HTH
  6. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Hi Starr, my pleurisy moved around as well, from right side to left - also my arms hurt on the side that was affected.

I went to the doctor yesterday and she ordered an x-ray for me. I stayed off work after the Dr's visit and x-ray and just rested. I went back to work today - probably should have stayed home and rested more. It was a really bad day at work. Couldn't concentrate and the pain is still there, just not as bad. I can live with that I guess. I'm waiting for the results of the x-ray to see if there is any thickening of the pleural lining. Dr ordered it to r/o pneumonia.

Prickles, I'm taking 500 mg of Naproxen for an anti-inflammatory. The doctor ordered that for me. I know it's an OTC, but my insurances covers most of the cost.

zoemurr, sometimes I wonder if it's costo or the pleurisy causing the pain. When it starts to be sharp and go through to the other side and makes it's difficult to breath, etc., I know it's the pleurisy.

I'm doing better today, just really fatigued pretty bad - still achy, but at least I can take a deep breath and not have that horrible pain.

Thank you, everyone, for the responses and concerns. I really appreciate it.

Hugs, Jeannette
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

I hope your a lil better today~???
    Are you on antibiotics for this?

If not,..you NEED to be!

I've had 2 bouts of pleurisy in my time,...but the last time was yrs ago.(maybe 5 yrs?)
    I know that lying down made it worse. maybe cause everything gets more clogged up/congestion.?
    Try sleeping with your pillows propping your upper half.

Use a anti-inflammatory every 4-6 hrs as needed for pain.
    Try vicks on your chest but keep it covered so the body warmth activates the vapors better.

Sending you hugs and get well wishes~
    I remember how horrible this pain is!

Please get plenty of rest too.
    Hugs
    Tandy

Keep hydrated!
    (do I sound like a mother yet!?? lol)