Help Problem with Pain Meds.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Feb 8, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

What should I do...

I have an abcess tooth that I am going to have pulled this afternoon. The problem is I have a pain contract and I don't see her until Monday. I called her office and she is out until Monday. I am running really low on my Vicodin and this thing is killing me. I won't have enough vicodin for the weekend. I called my primary dr. to see if he could just give me 5 vicodin until I see the pain dr. on Monday. Not real sure if my primary will do this since he thinks I'm an addict and sent me to see the pain dr.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I could just get 5 Vicodin too last me over the weekend?
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

the good thing is your going to get it pulled. Usually if an abcess tooth comes out your pain level will go down with it. Perhaps your dentist will give you something for pain, however mine told me to use Tylenol after mine was pulled. Use ice/cold packs on your jaw on the outside of the absess and that should help lessen the pain.
    Good luck!
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I know abcesses are painful, but usually once they are taken care of and abx are given, the pain will lessen fairly quickly.

I had 3 crowns replaced at one time, and when the anesthesia wore off I had really killer pain from all the whacking & insults... oxycodone didn't even touch it, just made me feel drunk.

I couldn't reach my dentist, but talked to a MD friend - he suggested motrin (which I'd never tried before for anything) as he said it was especially good for dental pain. I didn't really believe him, but had to try something and had nothing to lose.

End result: It worked! It totally took my pain away with only a regular dose! Weird that something like that could work where oxycodone didn't!

I used it successfully for all the remaining dental crown replacements (was having 2-3 done at a time, total of 12)...

YET-- motrin does nothing for my sinus headaches causing pressure pain in my teeth (or any other kind of pain)!

Hope you're as lucky and can find something. Sometimes the most unexpected things work well - I was shocked!

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 02/08/2008]
  4. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

Victoria, I had 2 wisdom teeth pulled a couple of months ago and I had Vicoden for the pain, and it did nothing. One tooth was infected. The only thing that helped was Motrin. I took 800mgs. Every 6 hours, and I took Tylenol 3 hours after the Motrin. and kept on rotating the 2 and that was the only thing that helped.

I also used ice packs. I hurt for 3 days afterwards, but nothing compared to the week before I got them pulled. I thought I was going to go insane. I had never had a toothache before, and I would never want that pain again.

Hope you feel better soon.

5. hail

hail New Member

so sorry to hear of your pain. I had all my teeth pulled at once(never again--but then--) A friend made me very strong black tea or orange pekoe and iced it very cold and I held it in my mouth along with the gauze etc and then spit carefully and the Very iced stgrong tea made everything bearable so along with everyone else' excellent suggestions, here's one for the kitchen cabinet. Vicodin did nothing for my tooth pain either. Blessings.
  6. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Thank you to everyone for the good advice. I did go out yesterday and buy a bottle of Motrin and it seems to help quite a bit.

The dentist who performed the procedure (pulling out my tooth) did prescribe some Vicodin but a much lower dose than my normal. So, I figured I will just use that until I see the pain dr. on Monday.

The dentist did have a problem though extracting the tooth. The tooth broke and he had to dig deep into my mouth. He was worried that the root may have been attached to jaw bone. But thank God he did get all of it out and he also hit the pocket where the abcess was from.

Today it does feel a bit better but I look like a chipmunk. LOL.

Thank you everyone ---- I greatly appreciate it!