HELP Problems writing and I have exams coming up?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by valleyann, Oct 14, 2006.

1. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

I have midterm exams coming up on Monday and I am having a heck of a time writing! I write out these cards with questions and answers on them, so I can quiz myself. But it seems as though after a little bit of writing, my right arm, elbow, wrist, and hand is in complete pain!?! so then i have to stop because it hurts so badly...which is not good because I need to get this done. ahhh!

Also my exams are 2 hours long each...and I have one on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. So I'm a little worried that I wont be able to write the exam, without being in extreme pain! How can I focus being in pain?

Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone have any tips or advice for me? How do you get through this?

Thanks.
    Val
  2. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I'm glad I'm not in school. I know I would not make it. There is a girl, her name is prickles, she goes to school. She said something about this the other day. The reason, even though I don't have advice, that I put her name here is because she will do a search of her name and get back to you.
  3. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Thanks for your post. I do know Prickles...I was thinking of her too, that she might be going through a similar situation as I am right now.

Val
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

and she was just on here to. Do you guys, girls who are in school, don't you have an office you can go to for help like that once you're diagnosed? Hopefuly even before you are diagnosed.
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

a friend uses the pain "patches" on her arthritic fingers....

maybe one on your wrist would help?

Lots of good suggestions here...esp. the ones about using your disability to get some special help, ok?

Best of luck to you!

findmind
  6. pv

pv New Member

You need to get varification from your Dr. on your condition and go to the Disability Office. If you can't write or even type you can get your tests recorded on a tape recorder. Get a continuation if necessary but anyone who is disabiled can qualify for special education services. You can also get a oral recorder on your computer so it is writen out. Some times it can be writen or typed by an alternative person that is from the Disability Services. There are many ways to get around this. My daughter needed Special Education and disability services. You can also get someone to take notes in class for you and you can record your lectures. The library of the blind can help you with this and a note from your Dr.and college disability office. You can get your books on tape or CD from them also. You also can get extra time on all your tests. Many times these are taken in the disability office. Your professor will send them over and you can do them there. Talk with the disability office about your physical disability and don't take no for an answer. Depending on the school some are more helpful than others. Good luck.
  7. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

What kind of pen are you using? The person who runs my support group gave us a catalog a couple of years ago on different products for people with various disabilities. I bought some foam tubing (it comes in different sizes) that slips on pens and pencils. I have also found pens that are thicker and some that have rubber on them. This definitely makes writing more comfortable and I have found that I can write for a longer time with the foam tubing and thicker pens.

Ellen
  8. valleyann

valleyann New Member

I really appreciate all of the wonderful advice each of you have given me! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you all...I've been caught up in a whirlwind of tests and major assignments.

I did try a few different things to help my hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder...I soaked in hot water for a while after writing notes. I took advil liquid gels. and I do regular stretching...

I'm not quite done my exams...infact I have 4 more that are spread out over the next 2 weeks. I just got finished 3 this week and i think that they went really well.

I was in quite a bit of pain while writing, but I servived! So far anyways! ;)

I'm going to look into Disability services at my school and see what options I have... I must admit though it's very hard for me to ask others for help or admit that I have a disability. I try to keep it inside and do the best I can. But as I get further and further into school I'm finding I just might have to change that...

Thank you all for caring. I really feel like I have a family here on this board.

Val
  9. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Thanks for checking in on me! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply...exams are going really well.

How about you? How is everything going over there in Germany? When do you write exams? How are you adjusting to life over there?

Take care.
    Val
  10. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello!

I'm glad to hear that you've made some friends over there...and especially glad to hear that they don't live too close to you! I konw what you mean, when I'm not feeling my best I don't like having friends around. I like to just be by myself and veg.

I really hope that you do get used to your workload...I'm sure you will. It's always hard in the first few months and then we just seem to go on auto pilot don't we?

So what do you do for work while you are in school? I'm not working at all, just school for me. I wouldn't be able to handle working and school, too much for me.

What are you studying at school again? I appologize, I know you have told me before, this is just proof of my poor memory!

I hate presentations! I have to do 2 presentations this semester...one group presentation in about 2 weeks, which I haven't even started preparing for (i'm too busy with exams right now). And one in a month or so, which is an individual presentation (that will really freak me out!). I get pretty bad stage freight so my nerves really act up before I go do a presentation.

You are so brave for going over to Germany to study! I couldn't imagine being somewhere for that length of time where you really do have to really work to have a conversation with someone. Good on you prickles! You should be proud of yourself!! :)

Val
  11. mrsgroove

mrsgroove New Member

Hi,

I have recently discovered Tylenol Arthritis.....works better than anything I have tried!
  12. swiss

swiss New Member

What are you studying? I have no helpful hints. When I was in grad school I had a lot of migraines and always took meds with me. Somehow, when I wrote exams I made it through. I hope you will be able to focus too!

I would be happy to proof essays for you (I know its not exams) but if I can help I would be happy to.

Good luck,
    Michele
  13. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

I've always had the same problem. After maybe 5 notecards or over a paragraph of notes my entire arm goes stiff and I can barely move it. The worst is in one of my larger lectures where the seats are this hard awful plastic. I'm scribbling away like a fiend and my bum is sitting on this flimsy piece of god awful plastic and all I can think about is the pain in my hip shooting up through my back. I've been trying so hard not to go to disability services, I don't want to have to go see my doctors again and I'm terrified that once I admit I'm "disabled" in anyway I'll never be the same. It's like getting the papers make me really actually disabled.
  14. valleyann

valleyann New Member

I was going to take Tylenol Arthritis, but unfortunatetly I was diagnosed with Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver disease and Tylenol is a big no-no for my liver.

So I take Advil Liquid gels, which are amazing, but only when I absolutely can't stand the pain any longer. I hate taking drugs, especially with my liver in the condition it's in.

Thanks for the advice though! I have heard good things about it, and I'm glad it's working well for you! :)

Val
  15. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

Yah I know what you mean about work and school...I just can't handle it either. Especially with my workload at school this year, it's crazy! I try to work my butt off in the summer to save up money and that's it. I think I'm going to work fulltime for a year after my program is done (in June) and then I'm going to try to get into Law School. The key word being "try"...it's very competitive to get into any Law School in Canada and I've heard that it's harder to get in than to study it!

Same thing at my college right now, they just give us our timetables and we don't have to worry about a thing, other than showing up for class. But in our Universities we have to make our own timetables, so if I get into Law School then I'll be going through that nightmare of creating my timetable!

Yah our presentations are using powerpoint so that's good atleast! It does take some attention off of the presenter. I should look into taking something for my nerves before I go out, I just hate taking drugs though, I wish there was some natural rememdy. Oh I know! A few shots of vodka! haha! That'll take the edge off and probably get me kicked out of school! haha! Maybe not a good idea. :)

My hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder kills when I am writing my cards out to study...and the tests are pretty painful too. But I'm definitly managing...

I would love to learn how to speak German! My dad's side of the family is German, but he never taught me how to speak cause he just speaks some sort of "broken" german that I'm sure nobody would understand! haha!

I am trying to learn cantonese though...that's challenging for sure. My boyfriend is chinese so for the past 2 years I've been trying to pick it up here and there from being around him and his family. I only know the very basics and not even that!

Pink hair hey? That sounds cool! You should put a pick up on your profile with your pink hair, I'd love to see that!

Val

16. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hi,

I am currently studying a legal assistant program, but have decided to continue on after. I am planning on going to Law School after a year of working...hopefully, I'll keep my fingers crossed. ;)

What did you study when you were in grad school? What do you do know?

Thanks for the offer of proofing my essays, I'll definity keep you in mind if I need some extra help. We don't get alot of essays in this program, I do mainly legal documents.

Val
  17. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello!

I know how you feel about not wanting to go see doctors anymore...this last year has been a total rollarcoaster for me and I have had enough. I want to just deal with this on my own for a while, without a doctor and without being on disability. I just dont want to give into it, I don't want to admit that I might need help from disability services either...I agree that it would make me feel like everything will never be the same.

It's so hard to admit you need help...and I completely know where you are coming from. I try to write notes in my classes and my shoulder hurts so bad I could cry...then my hand/wrist/elbow start to hurt. But I'm doing the best I can right now...and that's all I can do right?

What are you studying?

Val
  18. millennia

millennia New Member

I felt the same way about going to the disability office. I hate to admit that I can't handle things on my own. I feel like I'm saying I shouldn't have to do as much as everyone else.

But it was the best thing I could've done. I only wish I had done it sooner. There is no way I could've graduated if I hadn't gone. I was surprised at how understanding and nice all my teachers were about it. And my disability counselor was so much help. It is definitely a good idea to speak to one.

I believe that we are all here to learn lessons, before we move on. I think the lesson I have to learn in this life is to ask for and accept help.
  19. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hey,

What program did you graduate from, if you don't mind me asking?

I completely agree with you that one thing we all need to be able to do is ask for and accept help. I have no problems accepting help from my family and other people who are close to me but I have difficulties letting strangers help me. I feel like they are judging me and looking at me like, I'm a hypochondriac or something...

I guess that's something I need to get over. And if I continue my schooling and go to Law School for another 3 years after this, I think I'm definitely going to need help.

Val
  20. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

One can request and by law in the USA get a scribe to dictate to for tests and note taking even. It is legal under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

You can also request the school provide an Alphasmart which is a small keyboard that can later hook into a computer.

Please explore these avenues as many colleges and schools comply readily with the rules, but don't broadcast them.

Love Anne