HELP! Questions about Soc. Security Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kdeenak, Mar 30, 2006.

1. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I have been in a severe flare (see miserable today) and my husband just called me. He suggested I file for disability as I am just no longer functional.

Here are my questions:

1: My memory is just horrible and I can't remember some of the doctors I saw or the dates of treatment. I was diagnosed in 2002. How do you request records when you can't remember all the doctors you saw and when? Some of the doctors I only saw a couple of times because they didn't believe in Fibro. I don't want to hide anything, but I can't remember and I never thought I would have to file disability so I didn't keep records.

2: Would you recommend that I go back to my old doctors, my pain doctor I saw back in 2003 in particular who was sympathetic to fibro and helped me more than anyone else, or go to my new PCP that I have seen twice who doesn't even know yet that I have fibro? I know they have to recommend the disability claim and I think my pain doctor knows more than the PCP would. I also had a breast reduction related to FM and back pain. Would they want that too?

3: Would it be easier to just get an attorney? Would they do all this work for me and fighting with the SS office, judges, etc? Do you always go before a judge?

4: I do know the first thing is to request the paperwork. Would it be best to go to the office in person or have it mailed to me? Do they do a telephone interview?

My in-laws said I only have 3 years from the time I worked to do this or the monthly payment goes down substantially. Is this true? I last worked a substantial job in 2004.

Sorry there are SO many questions. I just am scared about this. I really don't want to go through this, but I don't think I am going to be able to go back to work.

Any help would be SO appreciated. I don't know where to start, and this is already stressing me out and I haven't even started!

Deena
    [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2006]
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I got mine off the statements that they send you. I would wait until after you get a denial if you do.Copy the part in this about not remembering.Start a list of every little or big thing that you can't do.It's great that your husband is behind you .Let him help you. I would go back to the doctor who believes in you the most.He would write a better letter of reccoomendation for the disabilty people How long to recover from breast reduction.I'm trying to get approved for it.Linda[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2006]
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

If you were on scripts call your pharmacy to print out all your meds to 2002. Then can do this and mail it to you.It list your doctors and meds and price you paid,

I know that they can cause I did it.

Good luck

Sue
  4. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I would suggest that you find an attorney that specializes in Social Security claims. It took 3 yrs. from time of filing before I finally received any $$. The lawyer will get you the papers to fill out. You will need as may

letters as possible to start with. Definitely start with the drs. that diagnosed you & ones that do believe in FM. You will need to go back to those drs.so they will be able to reexamine you and provide meds. etc. A Rheumatologist is

your best bet. I am not sure if there is a deadline for filing or not. As for the breast reduction, I don't think they will need this info., although your dr. may want to mention it. I don't think it will make any difference.

Start keeping very good notes/records etc. Believe me the SS people did try to pull one over on me a few times. It will get real frustrating with all of the time frames etc. Try your best to stay on top of it as much as possible.

Also, they usually turn down everyone the 1st time, so be prepared. This whole process drove me nuts, not to mention the physical pain that I received from the worry. The $$ will be retroactive. Once you do receive the $ be sure to

keep something in writing handy for tax purposes. I pull this out every yr. just in case there are ?'s. You should not have to pay taxes for this $. I hoped this helped. GOOD LUCK!!

PIRT

5. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

Did you go with an attorney from the start, or did you get one after you were denied? I worked last Fall for about 1 1/2 to 2 months, but I just couldn't cut it there and I also totalled my car so I quit. I also worked for 2 weeks at a place, but they cut me back to part-time and I had to take cabs and it was costing as much in cab fare as what i was making, so i said forget it. My husband wondered if this would affect me adversely, but I think it may show i tried?

I will try getting a hold of Wal-greens because luckily I had all my many RX's filled there. Do you think I should go back to my old PCP too? I didn't like her because she never knew who I was or anything about me and she is an hour away from where I live now. I do want to see my old pain doctor though, who is also an hour away.

As for the recovery time from breast reduction question, it took me three weeks before I was able to get back to work. (I had an infection in one breast that had to be drained out a couple of times.) Generally it is two weeks recovery time, and I felt better after that time period, I just couldn't be released until they got the infection taken care of. My insurance paid for it pretty much in full.

I am really scared about this! Please keep the suggestions coming :)

Deena
  6. ckzim

ckzim New Member

About applying for your ssd..have you had any doctors say they will fill out the forms for ssd?
    If not...you need to go in and see them, and ask them if they are willing to fill these out?

You will have to go from there...try and take this all one step at a time...don't want you in no flare over this all.

If there are no doctors to support your claim...you need to find one, two is better. And all the tests you have had. All the med you are on...all the xray results.....documentation...and even your own personal view of it all.

What I did to remember is write down what you do know...walk away from it...soemthing will pop into your head...then write that down getting that list from the pharmacy will more than likely jog your memory too....just sort of tell your story...like we do here. There are some key words they look for...use alot of adjectives...like...Unbearable pain...or pain so great I cried. Stuff like that.

As far as the quitting the job thing...they look at the reason Why? Was it becaue of pain? Or what?

When I won my case, I was working under the table as a Karaoke Host...the judge saw that as I was trying... He saw the job was only 8 hrs per week...and that I wasn't sure how long I could do it, as my voice went hoarse all the time. And that by no means was this considered even close to employment of what I use to do, or was the wage there to support myself.

Hoping the best for you...
    KathyZ
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

lookk it up...

file in person...you must fill it out get the ball rolling...get an appt to go in person...they will send you more papers in mail to fill out after your appt...

great wbsite above...do not really listen to what people say unless they are a professional on the topic...call a local ssa attorney they can help you get started, but most do not take your case until you get it denied the first time at the initial phase..

jodie

get you dr infor...look through old paperwork or check books for your dr/s pharmacy...

jodie
  8. deb06

deb06 New Member

Look up all the information on this site and others by Scott Davis- an attorney who specializes in disability cases for chronic pain.

I believe that if I had read all his information prior to filing and filling out the paperwork on my first case- that I would have won it. I did not.

I did follow his advice on the second case to the letter and I won easily.

This information is true and simple to undertand and helped me tremendously.

I would tell you all the information but Mr. Davis has it all written down already for you.

Luv, Deb

P.S. Here is the link that has the good articles in it for you!!

http://www.masscfids.org/archives/davis.html[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2006]