HELP - racing heart/BP changes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

When I go out to eat after a few hours I get really fast heartbeat and my BP goes up and then drops rapidly.

I used to get this when I drank alcohol but now this is happening without alcohol but every time I go out to eat.

I also get chest pressure/pain with it.

It subsides after a few hours but is extremely frightening while it is happening.

I do have MCS (not as bad as I used to though) and have simplified my diet to not include many processed foods or additives.

I wondered if it was a combination of eating much more than usual when I go out to eat (I eat very little on a normal day and very simple fresh foods) or worse, could it be the additives and flavours they use in restaurant food??

This happened again quite badly last night after me and DH went out for a (good quality) Chinese meal.

Thoughts anyone??

BTW this also happens if I get too hot in hot weather.

Love and thanks,

ETA My resting BP is a little low and heartrate around 65-70. My cholesterol is not super high and I am not overweight. I exercise where possible and lead a reasonably healthy lifestyle. I am an ex-smoker who relapses from time to time though ;)
    Bunchy x
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2010]
  2. cordy250

cordy250 Member

There are a great many causes of tachycardia. However, if you have pain and pressure I would not screw around trying to get info on the internet.

The first thing you need is a workup by a competent cardioligist. It is possible that they will be able to identify the source of the arrythmia and hopefully rule out any serious underlying conditions.

You only have one heart. Don't mess around with it.
  3. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi Bunchy, I have the very same thing happen to me esp. when I go out for chinese food and have narrowed it down to MSG that they often add to foods for flavor enhancers. Really alot of restraunts use this and often on salad bars and buffets. Its scarey tho and only thing I have found to help me at all is to drink lots of water to try and flush it out as fast I can.or not go out to eat very often or choose a restraunt when your food is made to order and request that no MSG be added to your food as you are very sensitive to it. It stinks as I love chinese food! Good luck and God Bless
  4. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Saw doc today - she says pulse OK and listened for abnormalities.

She thinks it's just palpitations due to the illness but is sending me for further tests next week to be on the safe side.

Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Really wish I could keep a lid on my stress levels - don't think my permanent panic helps ;)

Thanks to those who replied and for the ideas.

Love Bunchy x
    [This Message was Edited on 04/19/2010]