help re. bridal shower

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Denamay, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Do you have any good ideas of what to serve at a bridal shower that are easy to make?

I can not seem to get my act together and the ideas are not coming. Tasty and easy??? Love Denamay
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Have you ever tried making cream puffs or chocolate eclairs? You would be amazed how easy they are.

Made them for a baby shower. We made them bite size and used instant pudding for the filling. Cream puffs were easiest cuz after they were filled all you had to do was sprinkle them with powdered sugar. We drizzled thinned down chocolate icing on the eclairs.

They look like you really worked hard when they are actually a breeze. Also aren't something you see at every baby or bridal shower so it was fun to have something different. The little bite size cream puffs look really cute on a serving tray!

You can make the puffs a day or so ahead of time and put in the pudding the day of. Don't want to put the pudding in early because they get soggy.

I'm watching for other ideas cuz I'm hungry and now cream puffs sound really good!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Choose joy!
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

In the freezer section they have phillo cups that are bite size. I have used them with chicken/ham/shrimp salad. I have filled with puddings and a dash of whipping cream. I have put fruit in them.

They can't be made the day before, but you can get everything together before hand. Then the day of the shower, just fill them.

I used the pre-made salads from the wholesale clubs, instant pudding that doesn't have to be cooked, and fruit off the salad bar at my grocery store. The fruit had to be cut up a bit more, but the bulk of the work is already done.

Another easy dish is tortellia (sp?) roll ups. Again, you can make them sweet, with meat and cheese, or a cream cheese filling. These are better made the day before. You made them and wrap in plastic. Then the next day all you have to do is cut them into bite size.

Hope this help!

budmickl
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I forgot about that! I did that once with just a spoonful of cherry pie filling and a squirt of whip cream on each one.

Man, now I am really getting hungry!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies (and goodies!!)
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

The last time I did a bridal shower we just got a giant sub sandwich and ordered trays of pasta. Easy and not too very expensive. We also made a giant salad with prepared lettuce.

Wholesale store is a good idea too. Sam's and Costco have lots of good stuff. And Gordon Food Service too.

6. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

buying turkey wraps from Costco (or any supermarket), the veggie tray from Costco, and the fruit tray. All are prepared for you and all I had to do was decorate the tables, order the cake, buy whatever we were drinking, and order balloons.

The day of the shower I just had someone else go around picking up the items I had ordered while I decorated and got the games all set up.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the food.
    Hope you have a great shower!
  7. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Thanks, everyone for the menu ideas.

For sure I will go with the cream puff recipe, or the pylo cups.

I like the idea of the roast beef sandwiches and beans, but would use that one for a lunchion.

There are also some goodies that were mentioned re. ready made at Costo etc. You have all been a great help.

I used to be good at this sort of thing, but somehow I find myself out of the loop.

The shower is for my granddaughter inlaw, who is getting married next week. Love Denamay
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

MARRIAGE PIE

This is called a marriage pie because it calls for two different fruits that complement each other yet hold on to their own flavors. Here, it calls for blackberries and apricots, two fruits that not only taste lovely together, but also look handsome lying next to one another. When matching up different fruits, be sure to choose one that is sweet and one that is tart.

Crust:

Use a single 9-inch crust, baked.

Filling:

1 cup sugar
    4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups fresh blackberries, washed and hulled
    1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1-1/2 Tablespoons powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
    6 or 7 fresh apricots – peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced

Whipped cream, for serving

1. Prepare the crust.

2. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and flour. Add all of the blackberries, except for a small handful, and mash together slightly. Bring the mixture to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Add the lemon juice.

3. Sprinkle the powdered sugar over the bottom of the pie crust. Arrange the apricots over the powdered sugar and pour the blackberry mixture over the apricots. Chill for at least 2 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle the reserved berries over the top of the apricots.

4. Serve with whipped cream (or Cool Whip).

Serves 6

9. JLH

JLH New Member

COCKTAIL SAUCE FOR MINI HOT DOGS, SAUSAGES, ETC.

1 bottle (12 oz. size) Heinz Chili Sauce
    1 jar (10 oz. Size) Grape Jelly

Heat chili sauce and jelly, stirring constantly, until jelly is melted.
    Add hot dogs or sausages and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
    For parties, put in crock pot on low to stay warm.

******************************************************************************************************************

DIP - FOR VEGETABLE TRAYS

1 cup Miracle Whip
    1/3 cup chopped green onions (not green part)
    1 teaspoon vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon thyme
    1/4 teaspoon curry
    2 Tablespoons ketsup
    2 - 4 drops of hot sauce (more or less to taste)

Mix together and chill. Serve with such raw vegetables as carrots, broccoli, cauliflower,
    green peppers, celery, etc.

******************************************************************************************************************

DIP - FOR FRUIT TRAYS

1 large pkg. (8 oz. size) cream cheese, softened
    1 large jar marshmallow cream

Mix together with mixer and keep refrigerated until ready to use.

Note: may make smaller amount by using 4 oz. Crème cheese and small jar marshmallow cream.

ERMA BOMBECK'S PARTY BEAN DIP -- SERVE WITH TOSTITO'S OR CHIPS LIKE THAT

1-1/2 lb. Ground beef
    2-3 cans (16 oz. Size) Texas style beans, mashed*
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 - 16 oz. Can tomato sauce
    Tobasco sauce - to taste
    1 Tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt

Brown ground beef and onions. Stir in tomato sauce, chili powder, and salt.
    Simmer 2-3 minutes. Stir in mashed beans, Add tobasco sauce to taste. Simmer 3-4 minutes
    Pour into 9 x 13 dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve warm with taco chips.

*Note: if you can not find Texas style beans, substitute chili beans.
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

VEGETABLE PIZZA

1st layer:
    2 cans Crescent Rolls - lay flat on large jelly roll pan, pressing edges together. Bake according
    to directions on can of rolls--watch so it doesn't get too brown. Let cool.

2nd layer:
    2 - 8 oz. cream cheese - room temperature
    1/2 cup Mircle Whip or mayonnaise
    1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch dry dressing mix
    Mix together and spread on crescent rool crust.

3rd layer:
    Chop the following in very small pieces/slices and mix in a large bowl:
    Celery, green pepper, green onion-including some of green part, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower,
    fresh mushrooms, and any other raw veggie that you want--or omit any of above that you want to.
    Add carrots to the above mix; however, peel carrots and use a peeler to add shavings of carrots
    instead of slicing carrots--carrot shavings add much more color to the pizza.
    Mix all of these veggies together well and spread on top of 2nd layer (cream cheese) and
    gently press into cream cheese.

4th layer:
    Sprinkle with 1 large pkg. of shredded cheddar cheese on top of veggies.

Wrap tightly with Saran Wrap and store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Then, keep
    refrigerated.

NOTE: This makes enough for a large crowd, or take to parties. For more of a
    family-sized portion, cut recipe for 1st, 2nd, and 4th layers in half, and use fewer veggies.

11. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

As the others suggested, I would do a menu that has a nice variety of items.

Some other easy items you could add are: those cute little baby quiches you can also get at Sam's or Costco. A variety of cheeses and crackers is really easy and looks nice too.

Also, one of those fruit/champagne bowls are really easy to make and always add an elegant touch. Brides seem to love that (I really did)---it makes them feel special ---I think this is because you don't usually see it served many places and it displays well. It's usually a mixture of fruit juice, champange and some fruit slices on top. You could also do a non-alcoholic one with club soda and some different fruit juice mixtures.

For easy cleanup, you can also buy plastic plates, napkins and forks. Don't get them at a regular grocery, but buy them at a party store because they will carry them with really pretty bridal patterns on them and add an elegant touch. They usually aren't too pricey, and it adds to the bridal theme. Costco or Sams might have them too. Sounds so fun! Wish I could help you plan!

Let us know it goes.

Hugs, Erika
  12. Denamay

Denamay New Member

The bridal shower went very well! We had lots of fun and food.

The wedding pie is wonderful, thanks so much.

The bride asked if I would make more wedding pies for the rehersal dinner, but I am not up to making that many!!!

The other recipes will come in handy, we have company from out of town for the BIG day and of course they will have to be fed. Love ya, Denamay

PS. Someone posted a puzzle involving numbers that ended up telling a persons age. I tried it out on the shower guests and they all thought it was pretty cool.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2007]