help! remembering to pay bills

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twinkles49, Aug 24, 2009.

1. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

Hello, It's been quite sometime since I've posted. I know that this board is an excellent place to get help from others, so here we go. Most of the time I can run a search & find answers but this time it's not working for me.

As a lot of you can understand, I have severe fibro fog and have become terrible at remembering to pay my bills.

Has anyone come up with a good system that works for them. All and any suggestions would help so much I'm sure.

I'm feeling so frustrated by this memory problem. Feel like banging my head against the wall at times. lol Maybe that might worked. lol

Please help & thank you so much for your answers, suggestions & ideas.

twinks

PS: The doctor now tells me that I've probably had fibro for the last 30 yrs. Isn't that the pits!!
  2. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

My income is Direct Deposit.
    All of my recurring bills are directly paid from my checking account. Debit card @ ATM handles my cash needs.

"A direct debit or direct withdrawal is an instruction that a bank account holder gives to his or her bank to collect an amount directly from another account. It is similar to a direct deposit but initiated by the beneficiary.

It is typically used to make recurring payments for credit card or utility bills."

"Automated Clearing House (ACH) is an electronic network for financial transactions in the United States."
  3. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

twinkles49, I can empathize. My bills are NEVER, I repeat NEVER paid on time, except my rent. I havent been able to handle balancing a checkbook in years, so I've had to resort to using Money Orders to pay my bills. I remember in one month racking up almost $200 in bounced check fees, and over $100 each and every month before that. Thats when I decided to start paying with money orders instead.
  4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

The first thing I did when I moved to this apartment was have the rent taken out each month through the direct account thing. I never have to worry about the rent now.

But the other bills, what I do is, I put them on the night table next to my bed. And that way I have to see them there. And I also tend to write a note in my blog to pay them. I check my blog alot.

It really is hard. There are so many things I have no memory of doing. And that's really scary. I can do some small thing and have zero memory of it later.
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Twinks, I pay most of my bills online now. They send me a reminder in plenty of time so I won't be late. The others that I have to pay by check, I keep track of by leaving them on my dresser, opened, with the due date marked in the upper corner and in order of the date to be paid. Then, I keep a journal each month and write each bill down as it's paid. That way, I can look at the previous month and see if I've done them all. It works very well and I hardly ever make a mistake.

There was one time I forgot to check up on myself when I had an infection with a fever but that hardly ever happens. Try this and see if it works for you. GB66

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I used to be 'ultra' organized - I sure don't feel that way anymore!
    I set up as many things as I could for automatic payment. It's great I don't forget to pay, risk paying late, ruining credit etc. I just sometimes forget to record in my checkbook.

I have a huge calendar. The daytimer kind (flat) I use that to write in. (For some reason my computer calendar doesn't work for me.) I will write on that sometimes.

Another thing to do is write a check as soon as the bill comes. You do not have to mail it right then. Make a stack by your phone or someplace you'll see it, to mail - for example 9/1, 9/15. they're already made out, you just have to put them in the mail.

I go through my mail - toss the junk immediately, for the bills to be paid, I either write the check or have an envelope marked ( TO PAY), misc papers I have another envelope for. I then keep another envelope for things "TO FILE" - after I've paid a bill or something.

It may be trial and error for what system works best for you. If things are out of my sight I tend to forget them more easily.

I'd set up as much as you could for automatic payment online.
    Janalynn
  7. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

An excellent idea!
  8. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

I do know about these items you've mentioned. I do have some of my bills set up that way. But cannot do all of them.

My hubby is a truck driver and his paycheck is not always a consistant amount. Plus I like to pay extra on some bills and some just the set amount.

Again, thanks for the info!
  9. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

I will keep this in mind and will do some research on the Grapeseend Extract. As long as it gets along with my meds I see no harm in trying.
  10. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

I've not thought about money orders. Might be worth a try!
  11. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

There have been times when I've been driving down the road. Get two blocks pat a light and can't remember if it was yellow, green or red. Then I wonder if I ran a red light!

Part of my problem is my mind is jumping in to many directions! lol

I did read today that if we say: example: I'm turning off the burner as we turn it off then we will remember that we have done. I'm going to try it. If I can remember to say when I'm doing the task. lol
  12. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

This board has really changed! I thought it had changed where I had to reply to each person. I started to do that, then look at the bottom of the page & there is a whole bunch of posts that look like I'm rambling to myself! lol

Thank you all for the much needed help.

Take care & keep safe!!!
  13. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

just wanted to say that I can empathize.....what makes it even more fun for me is that some of the time I forget about paying them and some of the time I actually write out the check, but then it's like my brain checks it off of a mental to-do list and forgets that I have to put it in the mail or drop it off at the rental office