HELP! SCARED! CHRONIC PANCREATITIS!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bunnyfluff, Jan 31, 2006.

1. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I have had some blood tests come back with super-high triglycerides, so my Dr put me on Tricor to help bring them down. I really figured that they were high because we had been on vacation & I had been eating more "fatty" foods than normal. So, I did not take the meds ever night, also, they made me feel sort of nauseous, so it was easy to "forget" them sometimes.

Well, for the last month or so, I have been having terrible pains on the left side of my abdomen whenever I eat, and started burping, which I NEVER did before. Since I am Celiac, I thought at first that maybe I had come across some hidden gluten, but watching my diet didn't seem to help. Actually, things got worse.

So, I had also just quit my job, and got a new one, and was without insurance. Yes, of course there is COBRA, but it was very high, so I was hoping to 'tough it out'. No way. My attacks have continued, and I did some diagnostic work on the web, and realized it was my pancreas, like they had warned me! I sent in my COBRA payment, and will see my Dr tomorrow.

My question is this.....does anyone else suffer from this disease? It appears that it will be a lifelong problem, given that my first attack was a month long. I have gone to a liquid diet to help the symptoms decrease, but surely I cannot be expected to live this way forever!!

What the heck do I do???
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I found the information below on the web. There's a lot more information out there. There are things you can do to help yourself but you have to do some research. the amino acid methionine seems to help some people - there's info on the web about this.

Also, my chiropractor who does muscle testing helped me a lot wtih an inflamed gallbladder several years ago. He used nutritional supplements made by Standard Process. I also take digestive enzymes now. He helped me without drugs or surgery, so I recommend find someone like him. Many chiropractors do use muscle testing.

Pancreatitis (Acute and Chronic)
    Pancreatic insufficiency occurs when the pancreas does not secrete enough chemicals and digestive enzymes for normal digestion to occur.

When pancreatic insufficiency is severe, malabsorption (impaired absorption of nutrients by the intestines) may result, leading to deficiencies of essential nutrients and the occurrence of loose stools containing unabsorbed fat (steatorrhea).

Severe pancreatic insufficiency occurs in cystic fibrosis, chronic pancreatitis, and surgeries of the gastrointestinal system in which portions of the stomach or pancreas are removed. Certain gastrointestinal diseases, such as stomach ulcers,1 celiac disease,2 and Crohn’s disease,3 and autoimmune disorders, such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE),4 5 6 may contribute to the development of pancreatic insufficiency. Mild forms of pancreatic insufficiency are often difficult to diagnose, and there is controversy among researchers regarding whether milder forms of pancreatic insufficiency need treatment.

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas that reduces the function of the pancreas, causing pancreatic insufficiency, malabsorption, and diabetes.7 Acute pancreatitis is usually a temporary condition and can be caused by gallstones, excessive alcohol consumption, high blood triglycerides, abdominal injury, and other diseases, and by certain medications and poisons.8 Chronic pancreatitis is a slow, silent process that gradually destroys the pancreas and is most often caused by excessive alcohol consumption.

Product checklist for pancreatic insufficiency
    Rating Nutritional Supplements Herbs

Digestive enzymes

Beta-carotene
    Methionine
    Selenium
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin E

Grape seed extract
  3. azcactuslil

azcactuslil New Member

Have had two different bouts with my pancreas and no one seems to know why or what to do with it. I spent quite abit of time on liquid diets as well.

I do know that it is nothing to mess with. The pancreas is something that we can't do without. Keep your insurance and find a good internist to work with you.
  4. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I saw on t.v. today that some attorneys are saying that the drug seroquel causes pancreatitis and diabetes and there is going to be a warning from the drug company soon. Are you taking Seroquel?
  5. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

where there was no known cause. He has never been a drinker at all, etc. It can be hereditary, I understand, probably some bad gene. :(

I am hoping to get some digestive enzymes today. I'll let you know what they say, if I'm not hospitalized.....but I will fight that tooth & nail. I don't think with this FMS I could stand to sleep on those beds!
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My Doctor told me he had never seen such a high triglyceride reading before in all his years of practice. Not a good thing. My diet is so so and I don't drink very much.

He said it was heredity and put me on Tricor as well. I take it faithfully every night with dinner and my levels have been normal ever since.

Have your doctor help you get the pancreatitis under control and then if I were you, I would take the Tricor.

All the best,
    EIleen