HELP SEEING DOC RE SLEEP MEDS TUESDAY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Hi it's me the professional insomniac..LOL!

I am seeing my doc (I'm in the UK) on Tuesday re my sleep meds and tranquillisers.

I am at the point where I need to take high doses of about 3 different meds at a time to get sleep and I don't know what to say to him or ask him for.

He has rx'd me far more stuff than he should have done over time so I have taken more and more of it as my sleep has got more and more elusive.

I take 3mg Klonopin and Lunesta some nights, other nights 2 Soma and 2 big Lunesta and other nights a combination of Diazepam, Lunesta and Ambien.

This cycling combo was working but it's starting to not work and I don't know what to do. I can't not sleep, it will be the end of me. It's what got me permanently disabled and much sicker permanently 11 years ago - simply not being able to sleep for ages!

I'd like to wean off but with so many different meds I don't know where to start and having just moved house and with a lot of building work and windows being done etc, I have some early starts as well and I normally can't get up til midday.

What I would really like to do is go on a stronger med (just one) that would get me to sleep better again for another six weeks until our house is in order and then do the diazepam taper that has been recommended here before but which would be impossible with the combo of meds I am taking now (tried it, didn't sleep for three nights straight and was a mess).

Anyone have any ideas what I can ask for that would make me sleep without having to take so many different meds at once (can't be good for me)?????

I have tried Trazodone etc - doesn't help.

I have got myself in such a mess - I feel desperately worried and hat the long nights and how many drugs I am taking.

Same old story I know but there must be someone out there who needs SERIOUSLY strong sleep meds ????

Love and good sleep to all,

Bunchy xxx
  2. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Bunchy,

Have you ever tried muscle relaxers? I used to take Ambien. My doctor put me on Zanaflex because she said it is really good for FMS. It levels the Substance P which causes pain. She is trying to get me up to 8mg. I take 4 mg and it knocks me out. If I wake up during the night, I'm still able to go back to sleep.

Lolalee
  3. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I've been taking Ambien CR for about 6 months and think it works pretty well for me. I am not groggy in the morning. Good luck with your appointment.

kat
    [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2006]
  4. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Lolalee - I am going to try to get my doc to rx me Zanaflex but he is reluctant as it is expensive in the UK and only approved for MS but seeing as I have back, shoulder and neck spasms maybe he will relent this time.

Does it lose its sleepy effect after a while or does it cary on putting you to sleep every night?

Also how much do you need to knock you out as Soma lost its effect after a while even though I don't use it every day and I build toleranc very quickly to most of these meds???

Caperkat - thankd for your input but I am on way more stuff than you and already take ambien with a bunch of other things :)

Someone on here (is it Wakemeup) takes a lot of Ativan (?) I would really like to hear how she thinks about this one if someone could alert her to this post.

So bumping for more responses so I can print this out and give it to my doc.

He doesn't get that i seriously NEED to sleep otherwise I am a mess.

Love and good sleep to all,

Bunchy xxx

Thanks and sleep well :)

Love Bunchy xxx
  5. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I take Magnesium, potassium and calcium before bed. If you are a woman over 45 or so ask about HRT. I get mine from a compounding pharmacy that works a whole lot better than regular HRT. I hadn't slept in probably 2 years.
    One month after starting the HRT I was sleeping like a baby.
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Bunchy,

To answer your question, it has not lost it's effect. It always knocks me out.

I took Ambien for a while, but I didn't like the fact that it made me crave sweets. Otherwise, I didn't have a problem with it.

Lolalee
  7. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Bumping for more responses

No BTW I am in my thirties so no HRT needed yet :)

Scared to go to doc tomorrow, took so much stuff last night just to get me sleepy that I didn't wake up until this afternoon (UK). I'm freaked out by my situation.

Love Bunchy xxx
  8. marmayer

marmayer Member

Have you thought about taking xyrem? It`s been a life-saver for me. I too have been through ambien,ambien CR,klonopin, and zanaflex over the years.

There is a lot of info re: xyrem here on this board. Not only do I sleep but I feel so much better-no pain and better mental clarity. Good luck-I know how miserable it is to lie awake at night-tired.
  9. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Thanks Marmayer.

Does anyone know if Xyrem is available in the UK and if it helps put you to sleep (my main problem is getting to sleep).

Also is it stronger than other sleep meds or does it work differently and if so, how?

Bunchy xxx
  10. crossword

crossword New Member

one mg. alprazolam and 50 mgs. of amitriptylin. That was about 3 months ago and after 15 years of not sleeping well I now sleep like a baby and wake up feeling GREAT.
  11. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I am unfortunately in the same boat as you. I just cannot fall asleep......now cannot even "stay" asleep. I've been so much sicker this last year b/c of it.

I too build up a tolerance quick....beyond comprehension, quick!

So, I would think that cycling would be your best bet. I know you'd prefer to take only ONE med per night.....who wouldn't, but for now, could you be ok w/ finding a combination that may work?

I personally don't cycle meds, I've recently weaned off 2 medications b/c I wasn't sleeping with them, regardless of how high I went. Unfortunately, I still haven't found the answer (in my pajamas at 3:00pm b/c I'm up all night :(

If your doctor is willing to cycle medication with you, I would try it.

You can do a search on "Xyrem" -- my doc had recommended this for me, but my insurance would not cover it and it's very very expensive. I just looked to see if I still had their 800 number but I can't find it. I'm sure they have a website.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Let us know how your appointment goes......try not to stress the appointment that much. Write down your ideas and let the rest of the stress go.

scapper
  12. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

My doc has put me on 4mg Klonopin and 50mg Trazodone combo.

I said I thought this was a very high dose of Klonopin but he said he didn't think I would be able to sleep on less.

He doesn't want me to continue cycling because I have got used to it and am needing higher doses of everything I take even with the cycling.

He said in an emergency situation I could add a Lunesta or Ambien.

What do you all think?

I'll tell you how I slept tomorrow..LOL

Sleep well,

Love Bunchy xxx