HELP Sick and son coming in a week

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I don't know what to do. I almost never get sick-sick and here I am with a fever, headache, chills. I don't know if it's a bug or could it be a bad flare...? I also am "allergic" to severe weather changes and it's 50 here today.

I've suspected something this past week. I got very energetic which I do before getting sick - don't ask me why. But I wanted to think positively and so I've been pacing and resting, eating well...

I have so much to do to get ready for the visit and family get-together here and I'm SICK! He arrives on Oct. 5th for five days. We haven't seen him in almost three years and I do SO want this to be a good memory for everyone.

I am SO upset. Of all times to get sick this cannot be it! What do I do?? I can't think. I can't imagine that going to a doctor would help this early - and if it's a CFS/FM flare, she doesn't have a clue anyway. Aspirin often helps but should I take it this early? Doesn't a fever have a purpose?

I'm sitting here in tears. Please give me some suggestions about how to turn this around.

Thank you!
    Marta

2. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Would it be possible to hire someone to come in and help with cleaning, shopping etc. to take some of the stress of preparation off, or is there someone, friend or family, who could help? Make any get-together potluck if that is not your plan already.

Get as much rest as you can right now. Let your son know you are in a bad way at the moment and things might not be in perfect order when he's there, but that his visit is your top priority, so you're resting up so you can enjoy that, and hope he can overlook the surroundings and help with day to day things when he's here. I had to do that when my daughter and grandsons were here this summer. Everyone pitched in and helped with meals and cleanup, keeping things picked up, and we all really had a good time.

One thing, if you feel some better soon, that I use to help get things done is to force myself to do some things during TV commercials of a few favorite programs. It is amazing how much you can get done in those short spurts of time.

Bad timing to be feeling down, and hope you're feeling better soon.
  3. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

You're always so kind to everyone! I am sorry you feel so lousy.

I just had a bug kind of like that, and the good news is it only lasted a few days. Didn't hang on and on forever like usual. I hope this will be the case for you.

Go to the doc if you think it will help. They might give you anti-biotics and that's a risk I might take given the circumstances. It may or may not help. Just a thought.

Otherwise, lots of TLC, chicken soup and tons of water, or good liquids. I know it sounds like the old cliche, but truly it helps.

Hang in there...That is several days away yet.

Remember, as to his visit: KEEP IT SIMPLE. For your sanity's sake, not to mention your body. Do take-out meals, get lots of help, cut all the corners you can!!

I'm terrible at doing all the things I advise others to do!!

I hope even one sentence of any of this helps you!!

Please take good care of yourself first. Stay in bed today and REST!! Stress will only make it worse.

All the best to you, take it easy, ok?
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Oh, shucks, and I did so want to make that stew and chicken soup. Might have to do the soup anyway if I can stand up long enough. But you're right. Take-out and rest.

I tossed through my supplement cabinet AND my medicine cabinet to see if I could find some miracle. Didn't. I did take some echinasea which used to help when I got sick if I took it immediately but I think I've missed that window. I also found something called Umcka Cold Care from Nature's Way that has Pelargonium in it. Anyone know what that is?? I'm laughing through my tears here; only we would have such an arsenal at hand - and not know what it all is. Anyway, it's comes with a dropper, is alcohol-free and safe for children. Can't be too bad for me. Says it shortens duration of throat, sinus and bronchial irritations.

I'm also irrigating my sinuses and I had a craving for a very hot bath which I took despite my mother-mind saying not good for a fever.

If I didn't feel so desperate, I'd laugh. You know I'm sick if I can't do that.

Oh, and I forgot to click the little box to tell me when I have messages so don't fret if you don't hear for a bit.

Thank you so much.
    Marta
    PX How can I feel so bad and be so hyper??
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

As long as there is a path from one door to the next, most of us guys wouldn't know (or care) if the place was clean.

Don't exhaust yourself. You want to have energy to visit.
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Here it is. Maybe it will cure CFS! It comes from geraniums.

Pelargonium is rich in phytochemicals, vitamins, minerals and amino acids that enhance the body's functioning and protects it against diseases. Treatment with Pelargonium rapidly improves the typical symptoms associated with infections such as cough, fever, sore throat, fatigue and weakness.

Facts: Pelargonium is an extract from the root of the Pelargonium sidoides. The root is found in South Africa and has been used in traditional medicine since early times. It has been successfully used for the treatment of chronic respiratory illnesses such as bronchitis and pneumonia.

OK, Rock, I won't clean my house - but surely clean sheets!

Marta
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

remember do not get stressed over little things.Its not good for us. Your son is comeing to see you and not how clean your house is.

REST do a little each day and rest inbetween. It might be good for people to see you have health problems thats reality we all need to face and stop hideing.

REST is the best thing you can do and drink lots of water and eat healthy.Just enjoy his Visit what you talk about and share will be the memories nothing else.
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Stop is right, Carebelle. Underneath it all I'm very angry and I need to identify that. I am, like everyone else here, so very tired of being sick and tired.

Prickles, I ran out to the kitchen and took some zinc and vitamin C. I've been taking it but hadn't yet today. Thanks for reminding me.

Back for another nap if I can manage it.

Marta

9. mrdad

mrdad New Member

-----not well! You rest as best you can as you still
    have quite a bit of time before your Son arrives. Just
    do as little as possible for now and get better, OK?

"Talk" to ya later.
    MRDAD
  10. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

STOP! I'm adding a second or third motion to that advice. I was like that. I always wanted everything to be perfect. I read a post on a thread and you sounded like the old me. Remember you are not in "Charge of the Universe". A wise woman said this.

I have a 24 year old son and I was staying upset because I could not have everything fixed to my standard. Rememer as Rock said, they have different standards. They just want to see their Mom.

Rest and rest some more.

Many Hugs to you!
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Ohhhhh, thank you for your kind words. Shhhhhh... Fever's down, headache has let up some. I'm a bit better this morning, thanks no doubt, to taking all your good advice.

I will continue to rest and pace (my activities, not my body or brain). I can do this.

Thanks to all of you who responded. You know, I think feelng cared about is the best medicine of all.

Marta
  12. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

So happy that you are feeling better. Stay on course. Enjoy your son...all he wants to do is see his Mom I bet. I am so happy for you that he is coming to visit.

Talk with you later.

13. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I am a empty Nester also and I know how you feel .This DD's has taken so much away from us it just is not fair.
    I use to be able to keep my home very nice and run threw and pick up stuff I really liked cleaning and such.

I am trying something different I am learning to embrace this DD .I'm killing it with kindness to myself. When I feel angry I address it right then and remove angar from my thoughts. I replace it with good things .Instead of worrying about the sink full of dishes I call my grandson and check on his day.

just hearing him giggle means I choose the right thing to do at that moment of stress .The dishes are still there but they do not seem like such a chore after sharing the giggles with my grandson.(check my bio)

I still deal with tons of pain but I will not let this DD take from me moments of happiness with my family and friends. NOTHING is worth that. I'm thinking of you and you will get threw it value your time with them nothing else is important. hey buy paper plates and make a picnic if you need easier to clean up.
    luv ya let us know how things go :)
  14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yes, he wants to see his mom AND my grandaughter's birthday is the same weekend so it's a double whammy of energy needed. You're so good to remind me of my true priorities, Carebelle. I have seen your profile picture and love it. I believe I commented that you could all be models.

Sweetie, I did give up being Manager of the Universe not too long ago, but I hadn't thought about the job of SuperDesigner and Hostess with the Mostest even though I've not designed professionally or had a party for years. Interesting how we need to be continually reassessing our priorities, isn't it, even the unused ones?

Oh. One of the reasons I posted was because I remembered a friend I had long ago who was a nurse in both ICU and ER, not low-stress jobs. Bonnie was a bit high-strung and knew she expended a lot of energy both at work and at home. She had every Wednesday off work and EVERY Wednesday without fail, no matter what, she spent the day in bed with tea and a good book. She knew about pacing even back then.

More lessons! They never do quit, do they?

Marta
  15. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Thank you about what you said about us being models but you are to kind. I love that picture he was so surprized .

Remember to take lots of pictures when you all are together.
  16. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I hope you're feeling better by today :)

I just wanted to comment on what great advice you've gotten here. Isn't it nice that people "get it" :)

I loved what Carebelle said about sometimes needing to let people see our health struggles......it's our reality. This is one I really have to consciously work on.....not there yet :)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your visit and let the small stuff go. I'm not sure why I seem to focus on the cleaning piece too(all external b.s.).....no one ever ever remembers how clean your house is after a (long awaited) visit!

BTW, epsom salt baths work wonders for fever (yes, fever can be good but not for extended periods of time), pulling out toxins, general aches. And lots of vitamin C!

Feel better......scapper
  17. sascha

sascha Member

to get sick when big important event is coming up. it could well be that a darn bug just hit, and you will rally within a few days. but in that meantime, just lay low. by tuesday perhaps you'll be back on track. this is super coddling of self time right here. i bet your son, of all people would understand it well, and would be willing to pitch in if need be when he comes.

i'm in worry mode- the same day your company arrives i'm leaving for the East coast for a ten day visit, and i'm afraid i'll be spending a lot of time canceling and missing chances to visit with people i really want to see. it's always so up in the air, our tenuous grasp on feeling functional- and when i'm not functional, i'm not in a state to appreciate or enjoy people/events, and it's worse than pointless to even try to push myself to keep on going.

i hope your timing works out perfectly and that you're cleverly getting your illness out of the way early, and that when end of next week approaches you'll feel FINE and the time will be really blessed for you and your family- best wishes, Sascha
  18. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yes, people do get it! What a relief. After so many years of staying on top of things, it's hard to let things go but it's a matter of priorities again. And yet we hate to be a drag. Thanks for the Espsom salts tip, Scrapper. I'd forgotten that - will do.

And Sasha, I do understand your concern about your trip. Three years ago my family here and I went to visit the son who is coming to visit us. We were a big gang of of adults and children, much more activity than I was used to and I have to admit that I missed a lot of events. But I still get those pictures out, filling my heart all over again, remembering that time. I think we have to take it a day at a time - which seems like it should go without saying unless it's us! ;>)

I've backslid again today. No fever though, thank goodness.

Back to bed with me.

Marta