Help! Sleep Issues! Slightly Long and Venting.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EgyptStarr, Jan 1, 2006.

1. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I am SO frustrated!!!

For about a week and a half (or longer), I have noticed that I have been having more and more trouble sleeping at night, even though I am often SO tired all day!

Then, three nights ago, I went to sleep for about 1 1/2 hours, woke up, then couldn't go back to sleep until 4 a.m. Then Aislyn, my 3-yr-old, woke me up at around 8:30, so I was up for the rest of the day. Once I was fully awake, I actually wasn't tired hardly at all for the rest of the day, so that was okay. I got quite a bit done around the house, taking down the Christmas tree and putting away decorations, etc.

Then, that night (which was the night before last), once again, I went to bed fairly early (for me), around 10:30, slept until midnight, then woke up and couldn't go back to sleep until 4 a.m.! Aislyn woke me up at 8:15, so I got up. Was okay all day.... did some laundry and a few small jobs around the house.

So last night, after taking my shower, having the kitties fed and Aislyn to sleep, I took a sleeping pill (over-the-counter stuff) for the first time, hoping to get some relief from the insomnia and inability to get comfortable. It worked! I only woke up once during the night to use the bathroom, went in to check on Aislyn and make her go potty so she wouldn't accidentally wet the bed (I always do that), smoked a cigarette.... I was awake for about half an hour, then went right back to sleep!

Now here's where the frustration and trouble kicks in:
    Aislyn woke me up at around 8:45 this morning. I'd had PLENTY of sleep; more sleep than I'd had in days!
    But.... the sleeping pill caused a problem. I couldn't fully wake up! I was SO groggy!!! I was SUPER grouchy with Aislyn; gave her breakfast and some juice, popped a Disney movie into her VCR in her room, then made her stay in there so I could go back to sleep. I was a WRECK!!!

She woke me up again at around 11:30. I got up and gave her a snack and some more juice and ALMOST went back to bed, but decided to fight it instead. I took 2 Provigil (my stimulant.... I only take it when I REALLY need it or when I have a super-busy day ahead and know that I'm GOING to need it). It took a LOOOONG time for the Provigil to finally kick in, but I'm "okay" now. Still pretty tired (3-4 hours later), but at a more tolerable level. I'll make it through the rest of the day.

What should I do about this??? Any ideas? I didn't sleep worth a d*** without the sleeping pill, but when I took it, it made me INCREDIBLY groggy the next day! HELP!!!

Hugs!
    Starr
    [This Message was Edited on 01/01/2006]
  2. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

3. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

danged if ya do, danged if ya don't dilemma of insomnia. It has been the story of my life. I'm not sure how I made it through the years of child-raising (2 kids). I think I am paying for that false energy I forced on myself to get through those days. Not saying it wasn't WORTH it. But it was really hard.

To me, the very WORST hang-over meds are those that are over-the-counter. They are all similar to benedryl, and while they do enable some blessed sleep, you (at least, I) really pay for it the next day. They make me profoundly groggy and dopey. I had the same effect from the tri-cyclic anti-depressants (Elevil, Trazadone). They say you have to get to the last two, and that it can take a few weeks, but supposedly some do adjust and feel they get good sleep on them. I gave up after two weeks, because I could not function during the day with that "hangover".

There are a lot of newer sleep meds (prescription) that work a lot better than over-the-counter. Ambien is very effective, but I acclimated to it quickly, then it no longer worked. Like many on this board, I use klonopin for sleep. It may not be the elusive STAGE 4 restorative sleep, but it sure beats NO sleep. Also, I do not feel hung-over for it...at least no more than I would without it! Good luck to you.
  4. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I tried Ambien once when I was in the hospital.

I was having pre-term contractions, pregnant with my second child (who is now my 3-yr-old). They were keeping me overnight for observation because I had been in and out of there a lot with the contractions. I'd go in, they would stop the contractions, send me home. I'd go back the next night with contractions again.

So when they decided to keep me overnight, I couldn't get comfortable and get any rest, so they gave me Ambien. It did NOTHIN'. I STILL couldn't sleep!

I don't really want to talk to my doc about getting any more meds, because this is the last month I'm going to have insurance. So beginning Feb. 1, I can't afford Dr. visits OR scripts. I'm now taking 5 scripts in pill form and 3 in cream form (for exzema and other skin issues). I will no longer be able to refill ANY of them after Feb. 1, so I dang sure don't want to start anything new now!

Thanks for the reply, though!

Hugs!
    Starr
  5. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Bumping for more replies
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Your cortisol levels may be high, which can cause middle-of-the-night awakening and insomnia. THat's what happened with me. A saliva test showed my cortisol was high (due to stress I think) and I started taking Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) which helped a lot. But, it's not something you should take unless you know your cortisol levels are high, because they may go too low otherwise.

A saliva test is a good way to find out. I had mine done through Clymer Healing Research in Pennsylvania. They're on the web. I did everything by phone and e-mail and regular mail. I get the Seriphos from them.

It sounds like you aren't going to have money for more tests or supplements, so I don't know what to tell you.

My sister just recently had similar trouble sleeping as you, waking up after an hour or two and then being awake for hours. She had some CortiSlim which I recommended she try. The Cortislim also helps lower cortisol, but more gently, and I think you could safely try it. If it worked, great, and if it didn't, not a lot of harm done. You'll notice the results almost right away, if your problem is high cortisol.

Mary
  7. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I got some quotes on costs for Cortislim and Cortidrene (very similar product), and now I'm just trying to find out which one is better. Don't know whether I'll be able to purchase either one, but IF I am ever able to, I'd like to know which one is better for the money. Cortidrene is approximately $40 and Cortislim only $20 (on sale), but cheaper sometimes equals "not as good", so..... still trying to find out which is the better deal.

Anyone know???

Thanks again!

Hugs!
    Starr
    [This Message was Edited on 01/01/2006]
  8. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

bumping back to page 1
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I would try the CortiSlim because (a) it helped my sister and (b) it's cheaper. My sister did tell me she got it on sale.

Mary
  10. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Speaking of "Danged if ya do, danged if ya don't"....

Last night I thought I would try taking some of my leftover Flexerill, which I had stopped taking some time back. It's a muscle relaxer (for those who don't know), but it always made me very sleepy, unlike the Baclofen (muscle relaxer) I take now. I can take the Baclofen any time with no bad side effects and IT WORKS! Flexerill always knocked me out and didn't work as well (for me). So I had stopped taking it awhile back.

Anyway, last night I took Flexerill instead of Baclofen and now I remember ALL the reasons I quit taking it! First, it took FOREVER to make me sleepy, then, when it finally kicked in, my calf muscles started cramping and knotting up slightly. THAT'S when I remembered another bad side effect: Flexerill always gave me nighttime muscle cramps/Charlie horses in my calves...... BAD ones!!! Well, they weren't too bad yet at that point, so I took 2 potassium pills to hopefully stop that process. Thankfully, it worked.

I slept very well, just as deeply as I did on the sleeping pill, but since my fiance' was off work today, HE got up with Aislyn and let me sleep........ UNTIL 1:15 P.M.!!! Now, I AM thankful that he did that for me, but 1:15 P.M.??? That's no good. It means I may have trouble going to sleep at a decent time tonight.

AND.... I woke up with a BAD backache AND HEADACHE!!! Baclofen always helped keep those pains away (the headaches are tension headaches that stem from my neck muscles, and the Baclofen usually relaxed those muscles to help keep my headaches from ever beginning. It doesn't always KEEP the neck muscle pains and headaches away, but it seems to HELP A LOT!) But I gave up the Baclofen last night to take the Flexerill instead so I could get some sleep. I certainly wasn't going to take TWO muscle relaxers at the same time!

Danged if I do........ danged if I don't.

I won't be able to purchase and try any magnesium OR Cortislim until Friday, because we are BROKE until then, so I just have to tough it out til Friday.

Any other suggestions??? I could sure use them!!!

Thanks!
    Hugs!
    Starr

11. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

bump back to page 1
  12. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

... for the reply!

I had a sleep study done just 9-10 months ago. No problems.

Good guess though! lol

Hugs!
    Starr