Help...sleep meds no longer working :(

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goaska29, Feb 21, 2006.

1. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

So this is the 4th night in a row that I've taken sleep meds and nothing is happening. Last night I fell asleep at 8am after my boyfriend got up for work. At first I took .5mg of klonopin for sleep. Then the FFC suggested lunesta. I took 2mg of that for the past 4 months with no problems.

Then suddenly it has totally stopped working. So I thought it was the lunesta and tonight i took 1mg of klonopin (twice what I normally would take). that was 3 hours ago and I'm still wide awake.

Can you develop a tolerance to this stuff?

-GoAskAlice
  2. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I don't take meds (try all natural stuff now; I'm so sensitive), but I do know you can develop a tolerance to benzos like Klonopin. So wish I had some...I've been so stressed...but it's probably good I don't! Doubling the dose should've helped, though. Did you consume a lot of caffeine and/or have you had a stressful or "amped" day? Hopefully by now you've fallen fast asleep.

Sorry...don't know anything about Lunesta, but a lot of people here are taking it. Drugs always worked so weirdly in my system I'm not a good model for anyone re: side effects, etc.

Good luck, and let me know if you find something that works! I'm sleeping horribly myself these days.

C.
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hi Alice ..
    I'm in the same boat with that med .. it is zopiclone in Canada ... worked great for almost 5 years and now it isn't working ... and I went up to 14 mg !
    I think I'm going to ask about what twinofdar uses .. xanax ?
    I'm getting desperate for sleep .. this has been going on for a year and I'm at my wit's end .. not that I am very witty and can afford to lose what I have ! haha

Good Luck
    Fudge : )
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

It's common to develop tolerances. I've been switching over the years. Last night, I just took 1mg Klonopin, and tried not to take Dalmane, which usually helps. Stayed in half awake dreams from midnight on.

But when I start with ZMA, Cal/Mag, Calms Forte, I usually go to sleep (also have wine w/dinner).

Then I wake up 3-4 hours later, and take the above (not the ZMA), Klonopin & Dalmane. But hoping my neurofeedback will calm me more today.

If not, I'll be heading for a Dr. who will help me manage my RX's. Tried every natural one since the 80's, and they just don't work for me. (except the ones above).

It's a juggling game!!

LIGHT***********carole
  5. Slangx

Slangx New Member

Hello All,
    It's been awhile since I came on here.

I wanted to ask, do you guys all have crazy vivid dreams all dang night too? It drives me nuts, and I never wake up rested (which then, in turn, makes the FMS worse as we know).

My husband thinks my pain med makes the weird dreams, but I don't think that's it.

I was on Klonopin, and it did help me doze off, but it didn't seem to "break through" the dream cycle and let me sleep deep so I quit taking it (with my dr's knowledge).

Just curious about these crazy dreams.
    Thanks!
    C.
  6. SueSnyder

SueSnyder New Member

You can definitely become tolerant to Klonopin. Many people gradually increase their dosages to the max, then their docs switch them to more serious knockout drops.

I've been on Klonopin for years, and I can always tell when it's starting to lose effectiveness. Just like you, I find myself staring at the ceiling all night and watching the clock digits creep along.

What I've done, with my doctor's consent, is to periodically ean myself completely off Klonopin for a week or 10 days once it becomes ineffective. I never increase the dosage. I generally spend a less than restful week and use short-term sleeping pills to get through the nights, then start back on Klonopin again. It's worked like a charm for me. I still have sleepless nights off and on, but not long strings of sleepless nights.

You just have to work with your doc on this, because like many drugs, Klonopin isn't one you should generally "cold turkey" from, especially if you're on a higher dosage.
  7. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

So last night when it was 4am and I still hadn't fallen asleep, I tried popping a Xanax. Within 20 min I was dead asleep. I guess I'll try to wean off the klonopin and give the xanax a try.

Thank you all for your input!
  8. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I did have really bizarre ones when taking Vicodin or Norco (similar) after knee surgeries awhile back. They only happened around the times I was taking those pain meds. Could be related, but who knows.

I do know what you mean about vivid dreams leaving you not feeling rested. I hope they resolve themselves soon.

Good luck!
    C.
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

goaskalice:
    Early on here on this group I read that some people took Elavil for pain and sleep. I asked my doctor for it, so I take it at night with Ambien and sleep the whole night through. And I wake refreshed. It was something I read here that turned things around for me.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  10. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Somehow we all got to talking about sleeping pills. One said she takes ambien for years and knows she's totally hooked. The other said she has bizarre dreams. I try to limit myself to 5 mg ambien about twice a week so I won't get hooked. A third said if it wasn't for antidepressants she would have a really hard time. Look at all of us.....doctors are so helpful with getting us on drugs and yet we're still having sleep troubles.

I can most definitely relate the next day bad fatigue to how active my mind was at night. I know I'm sleeping but I also know I'm dreaming at the same time. Does that make sense?

I once dreamed a wonderful plot line for a movie and then every time I lay down for a nap or to go to bed I could get my dream to continue. I think our troubles is an over active brain when we should be sleeping and healing.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2006]
  11. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

From 2002-2005 I took Klonopin and Xanax at different points--eventually taking significant doses of Klonopin daily. Tolerance can and will develop at some point. I highly recommend anyone taking Klonopin on a regular basis to check this out:
    http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/
    maybe start with this one:
    http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha01.htm#9

Anyway I took 3mg of Lunesta from this past December through part of January. I developed a tolerance as it didn't work as well after a few weeks.

Everybody seems to have different experiences on different meds but maybe try Remeron or a Tricyclic like Doxepin (Sinequan) or Elavil. Might be better in the long run and they aren't habit forming in the way Klonopin will be (especially in the lon run)
  12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

benadryl at night...try 25 mgs..if that doesn't help ad another 25 mgs...

jodie