Help Smokers in my house. How do I get rid of the allergens?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Honora88, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Honora88

Honora88 Member

Hi Everyone,

It has been a long time since I've been on! I live in a housen where i sublet rooms in order to cover my rent to help make ends meet.

i found out that the couple in one of my rooms has been smoking there every night for a year and it smells terrible.

the new tenant who has already signed the lease long distance from tawain is going to have to endure the toxicity. i'm really worried about him.

what can i do to elminate the toxins? I heard smoke stays in the walls and the floors.
  2. poets

poets Member

Keep the windows up and if you're able to, try to get a lot of cross ventilation in the room. Or perhaps you could find some kind of air cleaner and run it. (The tall pole type things.) My daughter got one and it really did help. They really aren't that expensive.

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2008]
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

The odor of smoke is very hard got out.

I do know someone who moved into a house where the former tenants had been smokers.

They had to put some kind of primer that helps get rid of odors before actually painting, as the smoke odor had seeped into the walls They also had to have all their carpets cleaned.

Good luck,

4. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Yes, I had tenants that did this too.

I used Kilz but I believe there is a cheaper version. Don't just paint over as you are just wasting paint.

I wonder if a wash made of vinegar or the stuff you use when a puppy has soiled (that contains enzymes).

Maybe you could ask one of those internet places like or Ask Jeeves.

I am sure there is an inexpensive answer out there.