HELP !!!!!!!!! Stuck in Pain and No Sleep Pattern

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jakeg, Jan 17, 2006.

1. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Anyone ever fall into a pattern like this? How did you escape the pattern?

I have been averaging 3 to 4 hours of sleep in a 24 Hr spann. The pain is just incredibly bad lately. The pain meds aren't even working. I called the doc yesterday to see if it was all right to increase the dosage of pain meds or if he could prescribe something stronger but he was not in.

They said he would call me back today. I have no feeling in my toes at all, no numbness, tingling or pain. Could this be because of lack of sleep? Should I be concerned about this? Will the feeling return whenever I get out of this cycle?

I don't know what to do. Sleep meds have not helped at all. The past 4 days have been hurendous. In a 48 hour time period I only had 6 hours of sleep, what's a person to do?

Jake
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2006]
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Jake:
    I take Lunesta for sleep. It works pretty good and I do get a good night's sleep. Some people do not believe in taking sleeping meds, but I was like you before I started the Lunesta. Just a suggestion.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I take Zanaflex to help me sleep, but my real sleep problems were not solved until I had a sleep study and was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea.

I now sleep well with a CPAP machine and oxygen.
  4. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Thanks for replying. The felling in my toes is back but now it feels like someone crushed all of the bones and I'm still unable to sleep. At most 2 hours at a time but still only averaging only 4 hours a day. I have an app. with the doc on monday to see if there is something else we can try for sleep and the pain. My vicodins aren't working any more and the pain feels like it has increased three fold since I posted this.

Jake
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Yes I have experienced insomnia and irregular sleep patterns and I know it is very upsetting and exhausting.

I definitely think you should get the problem checked out where you lost feeling in your toes - that could be some sort of nerve involvement coming from your spine.

At this point, I would say to sleep anytime of the day you can, day or night.

What sleep meds have you tried? Ambien helped me alot and I did get back to a pretty normal sleep pattern.

Clearly you need more meds. I hope you can see your doctor soon.

I don't know how many Vicoden you take, you could have developed a tolerance and that is why it is not helping your pain. In the event you need to go off Vicoden for a while, you can take a drug called Subutex to go off for a while, then re-start your pain meds again at a much lower dose.

Subutex allows you to stop opiates with no withdrawals, it also treats pain.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2006]