help - suffer from FM with constant back pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hayley8564, Feb 19, 2006.

1. hayley8564

hayley8564 New Member

I have had FM for years and suffer from chronic back pain in 3 specific areas. The pain is constant and ranges in severity on any given day. I take vicodin every morning just to get going. Have used many things for pain such as ben-gay,lidocaine patches, OTC meds,cortisone shots, narcotics,cymbalta,antidepressants, hot tubs,massage,physical therapy, etc....... Iam always tired,don't sleep well, stressed out, and sick of all the pain. Cold weather makes it worse and also have Reynaud's where I have bad circulation in my hands and they turn white when cold. Also iI had terrible case of Mono where epsiein barr virus reading was extremely high before I started getting so much pain and fatigue. I heard this could be related ???? Any one have suggestions on pain relief or help with energy for the day?

PS I get alot of relief for my feet by using magnets in my shoes. I'm on my feet all day.
  2. marw

marw New Member

Hi there,

I have never had Reynaud's, Mono, or epsein-barr, but I do have herniated disks and stenosis. I, too, take Vicodin just to get started in the morning.

I found that Physical Therapy with the right therapist helps my back a lot (but that there is a lot of difference in therapists, so I had to shop around, so to speak. For me, a good Sports therapist will work). The epiduiral injections also gave me some relief. At this point, my back is no longer herniated, I have managed to fix the disks with exercise and PT, but the stenosis is still bothering me.

I don't know if it has anything to do with Fibro. I also had a head injury (but not a neck injury....had an MRI and nothing wrong with the neck) which was a concussion many years ago. It seems to me that all my troubles started then.

Other things that help....are using a hot wax tub for getting deep heat to my feet and hands, and always icing down after exercise.

I know what you mean about mornings and realy sympathize, but I don't know anything to do for that part except the Vicodin. I can't even eat....am always nauseous when I first get up from pain until the meds cut in.

Hope you find a solution.
    Margaret