Help--suggestions on replacing a shopping cart

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Oct 5, 2009.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Where I live is banning the use of shopping carts on the property and we'll get fined if we use them. Some of us, like me, have had one for years and I use it to unload my car after shopping and I get my electric scooter in front of it (I'm disabled) and pull it through the parking lot and into my patio and into my kitchen to unload.

Any suggestions of something that would replace a shopping cart and would be strong and able to hold many items and heavy items, like a shopping cart does--but also that I could pull it behind my scooter??? Thanks for any suggestions (and no, my cats will refuse to pull a sled).

2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I used to have a Radio Flyer wagon, & my bro fabricated a "trailer hitch" that hooked to my wheelchair. The hitch was simple to hook/unhook with 1 hand.

(The little neighbor kid loved when I let her ride in it, too! LOL!)

3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I think Pippi's idea is a good one. They are big and sturdy and capacious... not to mention kinda cool.

I have friends who have Radio Flyer wagons (there is even an "all terrain" wagon) and I get serious little red wagon envy!

Peace to you,
  4. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Yes! ADA requirements DO exempt us from many arbitrary "rules" set by businesses, & especially housing & quality of life issues.

The new rule about not allowing shopping carts, seems to be about the cosmetics of the property.

The ADA requires that "reasonable accomodations" be made.

Exceptions exist for businesses, when making accommodations would create a genuine hardship for the business.

Allowing you to have your shopping cart, does NOT create a hardship for them!!!

A simple form letter from an attorney, explaining the consequenses of violating the ADA (especially when it involves your housing & ability to take care of yourself) should be enough to get an exemption to the no-shopping-carts rule.

Or, simply print out the info from the ADA website, & show it to the landlord.

If they get snitty about it, tell them they're not allowed to violate your rights, & the ADA will sue them.

If they think they can get away with it, cuz you can't afford a lawer, inform them you don't HAVE to afford a lawyer, to charge them with violating the ADA.

Inform them they are REQUIRED to make reasonable accommodations for you. That's the law.

5. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

File an ADA complaint if they give ya any crap or attitude about it!
    Even if they let you keep your cart!

They can't be emotionally abusive to ya, for standing up for yourself & demanding your legal rights!

Once they know you're not somebody to be screwed around with, you'll have them walking on eggshells.

Be polite, but bold. We can't afford to have an apologetic attitude!

Good luck! Let us know how it all works out!!!!!

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Pippi's suggestion of a little red wagon sounds good if you can solve the
    hitch problem.

In a small town one would know who could do the job. Might be harder
    to find somebody in a big city.

The nursery Gordon goes to has a whole fleet of red wagon for people
    to haul their plants, bags of soil, etc. around. Big Sign: Children may
    not play with the wagons.

Maybe Shelby and Cesar will enjoy riding in the red wagon.

7. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I have a collapsible / folding cart. Most people in my building do. But they have drawbacks.

They're quite a bit flimsier than a shopping cart.
    And it's harder to get the stuff out, if ya can't stand up, lean over & reach way down to the bottom.
    They don't hold a full shopping cart worth of stuff, either.

And they're pretty dang hard to steer when they're full - almost impossible to steer it from my chair, & even walking, ya gotta wrestle with them a bit.

They'll do, in a pinch. But I'd stand up for my rights with the shopping cart first.

Just my opinion, of course. Not everyone is comfortable with a confrontational situation. But, they are attempting to trample on your rights.

8. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Maybe with some cardboard and tape you could disguise the cart as a big cardboard box?

Or, decorate it with smiley faces and call it an "Art Cart". Maybe get a government art grant?

Make it a "KAT KART"?

Paint it gold, and put a Ferrari Logo on the side?

Put an official looking sign on it: "Public Service Cart, Lic. # 765" Maybe put a warning about interfering with some obscure Dept of Transportation department law.

Oh,well. Maybe move to Australia where they don't do things like put up signs, "Don't stand too close to edge of cliff." Sigh.

Genuine red carts can be difficult to find, but most hardware stores have a selection of carts, and wheel barrows. I saw an ice chest with wheels on it recently.

Maybe at a thrift store you could find one of those airline luggage things with wheels.

Good luck, cheers, your mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 10/05/2009]
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

Yes on the airline luggage cart!,,My brother gave me one last year and i put a medium size tote on it with a bungee cord to hold it in place and it works perfect for hauling groceries and laundry,,,not to big and not to small!,,you can tilt it back and push it in front of your chair,,,,,Hope this helps!,,,,,,sis
    p.s. They have them at walmart,,but i'm not sure of the price,,[This Message was Edited on 10/06/2009]
  10. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Our place has prohibited shopping carts because they said that once they leave the store's property it becomes stolen property. They are actually correct. Unfortunately, I don't think the ADA helps you if you're using "stolen property."

Many people use store shopping carts here to go to the laundry room, etc. and storing them out of site in their patios/units. Some people were walking to the supermarket about a mile away and walking back with the supermarket carts and then just dumping the shopping carts outside in the public areas-- so it has come to this prohibition. I've had this shopping cart for so many years now and given it hard use.

But you've given me many good ideas and I never thought of looking at a hardware store like Ace Hardware and even in Home Depot and Lowe's--and those are other good places to look.

I had thought of covering the shopping cart in fabric and putting a sign on it "The Non-Discriminator" and using it, but they will know a shopping cart even under fabric. [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2009]
  11. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Hi Again!

Actually, I know some peeps who have shopping carts they bought from an everything-is-for-sale going out of business sale!

There are many ways to legally obtain a shopping cart.

First & foremost, act VERY insulted at the insinuation that you have a stolen cart! LOL!!!

Then paint it bright blue or neon green, or something.
    Attach a big tag with your name painted on it (right below "Property Of"). Decorate it by attaching things with a twist of craft wire.

If the handle has the name of a store: Wal-Mart sells the prettiest duct tape I've ever seen! They have purple, aqua, red, bright green, yellow, orange, bright blue, pink! Wrap the handle in a pretty color duct tape!

(Yes, I own 1 roll of practically every color. LOL!)

Personalize YOUR legally-obtained shopping cart, & go from there!!!

12. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Rocky, the best part is that I have a patio that has 6 feet high concrete walls and a tall gate, so I don't have to bring whatever type of cart I get inside and can keep whatever in my patio. That's where I always kept the shopping cart hidden.

Pippi, I like the idea of buying a cart and getting a receipt from somewhere and then "decorating it." With a disability that should do it, but I have to find where I can buy a shopping cart (and probably have them back date a hand written receipt). If I give them a receipt dated after they decided to ban the shopping carts, then I may still not be able to use it--but if I have a receipt for before they were banned, my cart may be grandfathered in.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/08/2009]
  13. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

maybe someone you know would write you a "receipt" for the grovery cart--like as a yard sale or something like that.
  14. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

They sell receipt books wherever ya get office supplies!!!
  15. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

If you can't get an exempt for your cart, I think the wagon idea is pretty good.

You might also want to consider looking at Fisher-Price wagons. We have one that's about 15 yo. Mostly plastic, with high sides. Big & sturdy enough to haul a couple of 8 yo kids in. Fat tires, moves easily. Now that my kids are bigger & my FM & arthritis are much improved, I use it to haul dirt, bark chips & whatnot around my yard.

Best wishes.
  16. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I'll get out probably next week and start looking at the Fisher-Price Wagons. PLUS they should be getting the toy inventory on stores loaded up with Christmas coming, so they might have even more types of wagons.