Help taken off Antidepression drugs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Mar 16, 2007.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

At first I felt great .so much energy and then my pain became so unbelieveable I cant stand it. I took one of my old effecson pills and it helps a little with the pain but I can not do anything i'm so tired.

I also take Lyrica but i'm on the higest amount of it and I still have the really bad pain.

What else can I take for pain as far as an antidepression Drug ????? I have tried so many that do not work and make me more depressed. Now which ones work for pain?????
  2. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I was put on cymbalta on Mon. and it is supposed to help with the pain but it made me so sick that I could only take the one and today they gave me samples of half the dose and told me to try it again. I definitly need pain help. My rheumy has cut back my darvocet and I dont know what Im going to do. Nothing works. I havent had a reasonably pain-free day in over 2 yrs and then it was bliss for 4 hrs.

Please hang in there. It is so hard for us when noone really knows how bad we hurt even our drs.

Suzette
  3. Ginner

Ginner New Member

Hi, you may ask your doctor.
    I just found out through my pr dr. that effexor, I have taken 8 yrs.for fms/mps, works like this:
    The lower dose is to help serontonin, the higher doses also help neuropherone, (sp.)
    I have a message into my doctor today. I had gotten down from 1/2tabs 2xday of effexor ( I am depressed now )from 1 1/2tabs 2xday so that I could switch over to cymbalta. I have gained weight and I think effexor contributed to that and maybe cymbalta won't contribute to weight gain for me. I have samples of cymbalta but I didn't ask my doctor the right questions about switching, she gave me 30mg and 60 mg but I missed how to switch, 1 a day ??, etc.
    Anyway, that is what I know about effexor.
    I will let you know what my dr. she says about switching when I get her call.
    I don't think helped much.
    As far as pain, my regiment is effexor (started for pain ), darvocet,(pain) flexeril (muscle relax), ambien( sleep). I want to get off ambien also, I am now addicted to it after 2 yrs.
    Ginner

4. Febricula

Febricula New Member

I take SAM-e, which you can buy over-the-counter. I had bad reactions to most of the typical antidepressants (SSRIs, Effexor, Cymbalta, etc.), and SAM-e has worked wonderfully for me. It's also prescribed for joint pain, and I think it's one of the things that keeps my FM symptoms so mild.

If you decide to try SAM-e, you need to taper up slowly and get good quality SAM-e in a blister pack. Also, even though SAM-e is over-the-counter in the US, it's a powerful substance and classified as a prescription drug in Europe. So do some searching on the web to make sure it won't interact with anything you're already taking, and talk to your doctor about it.

Hope you find a solution soon!
    -febricula
  5. OhThePainInMy

OhThePainInMy New Member

Hi I take Cymbalta at bedtime it does help me to sleep when I wake up in the middle of the night i do feel drugged but in the morning I am ok..I take 90 mgs at bed time but if you go off it you must be weinned off.. i hope this helps and it does help my depression
  6. opal66

opal66 New Member

I'm on 450mg of Wellbutrin XL and 60mg of Cymbalta and .10mg of Klonopine. Cymbalta and Klonopine are at bedtime. Cymbalta is supposed to help with the pain (I hate to see what my life would be without it!). But I do still get pain. When I went to the Rheumy he put me on Provigil, which I'm reluctant to take, and Fibromalic which is vitamin supplement of some kind. The only thing he gave me for pain tho was codine.
  7. jmq

jmq New Member

I take 60 mg of cymbalta in the am and 60 at night before bed. It is great for the depression but still have pain..maybe it would be even worse without the cymbalta..I do not want to even try it.

good luck
    jmq
  8. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

I also take 60 in the morning and 60 at night. And yes, my depression has gotten much better but only certain pains have been helped such as my hips and elbow joints. The rest of me still hurts, specially my ankles and lower back! Do you have problems sleeping? Do you have any experience with Cymbalta with Ultram?
  9. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

10. lakatos235

lakatos235 New Member

Hi - want to make sure it is ultracet (ultram) and not tramadol with cymbalta. I take cymbalta started at 30mg for a week and went to 60 mg. Each dose change made me feel like I was on drugs! but that passes. fortunately I did not get nauseous or any other symptoms other than very tired initially. Have been on it about 3 weeks and it does help with the extreme low back pain I experienced for years. I take it around 8 p.m. any later and I am groggy in the morning -- any earlier and it gives me insomnia LOL I was on effexor for years and it never helped as much as the cymbalta.
  11. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Have you ever looked into the amino acid dl-phenylalynine (DLPA)? It has antidepressant and pain effects.

elliespad has written about it a lot. I think dncnfngrs may have experience too.

I've found it useful for mood but, since I don't have fibro, can't give you personal thoughts on pain.

Best, Lisa
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Ido need something for depression I will talk to my doctor about Cymbalta
  13. debhun

debhun New Member

And it seem to help some. And I am on tramadol and it really is working for me right now. I take 2(100mg) every 6 hours.But I have only been on it for a week. I had to stay up at the hospital this past week-end cause they call in my family about my aunt that had 2 strokes. They didn't think she was going to make it. But she did and is doing good. I did very well for 3 days that I was up there. So maybe this new med will work for me. Best Wishes
    Deb