help - tech could not get IV started.. Ideas ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daylilyfan, Jan 6, 2006.

1. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

I went today for a triple phase bone scan. They needed to start an IV to inject the die/radioactive stuff. For where they needed to do the pictures, they needed to put the IV in one of my feet. The tech tried once in each foot, then went for "the best IV person we have" and she tried 5 times in each foot, then 4 times in my good arm. They tried different turnequets, dangling my arm/legs way below my body, using warm towels on my feet to enlarge the veins... all the tricks they could think of. They were not un-skilled. I think it was my veins.

They hit the veins - could draw blood back, but when they tried to "advance" the IV, they could not do it. They said if they were trying to draw blood, no problem - but they just could not get the little plastic tube in to get the IV set up. They even tried not putting in the tube, and using a butterfly needle - but it punctured the back of the vein.

They kept saying how sorry they were. Thank goodness I am not needle phobic! And, I did understand they were really trying.

I had to go really early (for me) for this test, and I had only a very small glass of juice before going. I just did not have time to eat/drink before going.

I was started on a prednisone "burst" Monday - I think a pretty strong one. I am feeling very puffy and my feet are swollen. The techs asked if my feet were like that all the time, and I said no, I think it is the prednisone. The said that the swelling could be putting pressure on the veins. They also thought I was dehydrated, but other than not having a lot to drink this morning, I think I am normal for me as far as dehydration.

We decided to reschedule for next Wednesday, when I will be almost done with the prednisone. They want me to start 3-4 hours ahead of the test and force drinking fluid. But, they didn't seem to sure if this would work.

Are any of you nurses or have any experience with this? How can I get my veins to cooperate? I really need to get this test done! It's to see if I really do have RSD in my arm or not.

Thanks!
  2. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

i am not a nurse, just a human pincushion. ha! some of my tricks are to drink a little saltwater a few hours before, drink TONS of water, bring my heating pad and heat up my body part, ask if they can get me in right away and take a hot shower just before going, try to get stuck in the afternoon instead of in the morning--i have a hard time getting going in the morning--my body doesn't work until the afternoon and even my veins don't seem to want to cooperate (and my bloodpressure is in the ditch). i have MUCH better luck getting stuck in teh afternoon. i do better with a small butterfly than with the kind of needle that has plastic tubing advance into my vein, they just have to be careful to not push on it very hard or hold it roughly when they tape it, so as to not slice thru. sorry to be graphic--you have had enough trauma for one day. sorry for your trouble. hope any of my tricks help. jen102
  3. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

the only things that I can think of is to make plenty sure you are hydrated, and they could have tried a smaller IV catheter. Like the ones they use on babies, or maybe get someone from pediatrics to come try to start.

sorry about all of the pokes,

Dani
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

When I have had major trouble getting IV's starting or them drawing blood, it's been when I have been dehydrated.

One time I needed a fasting blood test and did not go until 2 pm -- was up all morning but did not eat or drink. They couldn't get a drop of blood after numerous sticks.

They made me drink 2 bottles of water, then they were able to get blood!

Maybe there is something to it!

Drink lots of water before you go, and keep a water bottle with you to drink on while you are waiting!!
  5. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

If I should reschedule at another place. This was a testing/imaging facility. Perhaps if I go to the other option, which was a very large hospital, they would be able to have a larger group of skilled people to turn to?

They did try a lot of things... having me hang my leg down, warming it with warm wet towels... smaller needles, holding them by hand and not taping...

I have to drive about 1 hour 20 minutes to get to the place to get this done. They inject you with the die stuff, take some images, give more die, take images... etc.. then send you away for 3 hours, then back for more images. No where in my area does this test, have to travel to the larger city :-(

And, the tech leaves at 2 pm... and since the test goes over several hours, the latest I can arrive is 9:30. :-((

So, I guess I'll have to get up at 3 a.m. to start drinking before hand. But won't it just go right on through? I don't understand why drinking fluid will help. I'd think it would if I was going for a urine test, but to get a vein?

Confused.

Jules
  6. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

do you think if I drank gatorade instead of water it would make any difference? I have never tried the stuff, but if it's for re-hydration????
  7. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

will help to plumpen (what a nice scientific word) your veins rather than what you drink just going thru you. jen102
  8. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I've been in your shoes many times due to numerous surgeries & test. I've had to be mainlined twice for two surgeries. The last one they kept getting "the expert" until I finally got the head anesthesiologist. She could not get any better than the first 6 people. The surgeon waited for 45 minutes & they finally cut my neck & inserted the line into the vein & stitched it to hold it in place without any pain medication. Tears were pouring down my face as they held my hand. At that point, I was begging for them to give me an injection but they wanted to wait & make sure they could get the line going. They knew I was a "hard stick" prior to that surgery but everybody thinks that they can do it. I could give you more horror stories but it sounds like you are starting your own book. Test have been canceled & I have been sent to an ER to try to get a line going.

I learn so much on this board. My problem has been happening since 1996 and no one has mentioned that I needed to increase water intake. I am so happy to learn that there is something that I can do that may help.